Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Removal of very large gallstones

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Removal of very large gallstones

My father had an operation some years back to have his gallbladder removed.  Since then he has been plagued with stones in his bile duct.  Two years ago, he had surgery to remove the stones and they fitted three shunts in his bile duct to allow the free following movement of bile.  Two years on and the symptoms are back (severe vomitting).  He had surgery again yesterday, and they found the shunts blocked and a new stone had formed. It is apparently massive, and lodged between the old shunts.  They say they cannot remove it surgically without risk to his life, as it is close to his pancreas.  They have done a shunt bypass, so the old shunts are redundant.  He now has to attend the hospital every four months to have the new shunt cleaned out, to stop it happening again.  Laser treatment has also been ruled out again due to the size of the stone.  My questions are these:  the surgeon indicated that there was nothing to prevent this stone growing - could it eventually kill him because of where it is?  It has taken two years to get this big.  Is there anything he can do to stop it getting bigger?  Is there any other treatment available to him to remove this stone?  We live in Scotland (UK), but would be interested in getting a second opinion from somewhere, albeit another country like the US where techniques may be more advanced than here in the UK.  Apologies for the long winded explanation - any leads or reassuring advice that anyone could give me would be gratefully appreciated.
A related discussion, Large Gallstones was started.