Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Returning to sports after laparoscopic appendectomy

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My 14 year old daughter had a successful laparoscopic appendectomy.  The appendics had not burst.  Immediately after the surgeon came out of surgery I asked him how long before my daughter could return to soccer, as in 1 week's time she had a tournament coming up, which entails playing 4 games in 1 weekend.  Never in a million years did I expect the answer I heard, which was she could play in the tournament.  I was more expecting him to say no, to back me in allowing her time to heal.  She is a very headstrong young lady, and at times I have a difficult getting her to give her body ample time to recover.  She just wanted to take ibuprophen to help with the pain & go ahead and play.

Since then I have poured over the internet looking for information on recovery time from this procedure.  What I could find was rather sketchy.  Everything from 2-6 week recovery time to return to normal activities in 1 week. I don't mean any disrespect, but it takes a week for a pimple to heal, how can one expect the human body to heal completely enough to participate safely in a rough contact sport like soccer after only 1 week post-op?

My question is what all is entailed in the healing process?  I know that with laparoscopic surgery the incision site heals more quickly than everything on the inside.  What are the risks to the abdominal area if rough sports are played?  What happens when those sutures are yanked and pulled on during jumping and heaving for the ball (she plays goal keeper)?  What about the area where the appendix was removed?  How long does the reattachment site take to heal?  What are the long-term far-reaching repercussions for not allowing adequate healing time for this area?

My grandmother had her gallbladder taken out (not laparoscopically) and didn't allow herself enough time to heal and they had to go back in and put some kind of plate in the area because she'd overstretched something.  Could something like this happen to my daughter? Also my former husband had arthroscoptic knee surgery and also didn
I cannot give a definitive answer without examining the chart nor the patient.  

The post-op recovery time can vary from patient to patient, as well as whether there were any complications with the procedure.  Possible risks of returning too early would include infection, wound dehiscence, as well as possibility of internal bleeding.  

Your daughter's surgeon certainly would give a more informed opinion.  If there is question about this advice, I would discuss this with another surgical opinion.  I am not a surgeon, so my insight into this question is limited.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I had my gallbladder out last week it was done with the laparoscopic 4 holes my surgeon also said i can do everything in a week the way i feel i really dont think i can i feel like i need to let my body heal better. the pain is not bad but the 4 incisions are still sore and what about where they took the gallbladder i feel that needs to heal too.
so i agree with you she should allow more time to heal so there are no complications down the road.
my 12 year old son had a successful laparoscopic appendectomy on Friday 26/05/06 and is also a soccer player playing centre striker in a very successful grade 13 team. Our surgeon recommended to us that he take 4 weeks off due to the fact that the abdominal wall must repair and strengthen to reduce the risk of hernias developing. As much as this frustrates my son we have decided to follow his recommendations so as not to risk further surgery in future. So maybe have another talk with your surgeon about these risks and then decide what is best for your daughters case
A related discussion, Laperscopin Apendectomy was started.
A related discussion, Feel Pain after Laparoscopic Appendectomy was started.