Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Rib and Gas Pain
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rib and Gas Pain

I am a 45 year old female who has been experiencing rib pains on both my left and right sides for close to a year now.  I used to feel mild pain when I just pushed in on my right side, but it was barely noticable.  I did have endoscopic gall bladder surgery around this time last year and it wasn't long after that when I started to notice the rib pain more.  Again, it was more on my right side, but now I am feeling it on my left side as well.  Most of the time my ribs don't even bother me unless I press in or where a bra that is too tight and digs in, but it is just something I am aware of.  I also sometimes feel a discomfort, although not really pain, usually in my right shoulder blade at times.  I always thought that indicated a GB problem or maybe a problem with the liver.  I have spoken to my internist and surgeon who removed my GB about this problem, and they both feel it is excess gas causing the symptoms.  I tend to believe that is true since the discomfort I feel seems to travel around, sometimes not always being in the same spot on my ribs or other areas.  I am trying to figure out if eating makes it worse and from what I can tell it does seem to affect me sometimes.  I did notice I seem to be pretty gassy a lot of the time, but I am not sure why this is happening since my bowel movements are pretty regular.  Sometimes when I lay in bed at night I could actually hear the gas rumbling in my stomach.  Very rarely will my stomach actually hurt me and most of the pain I feel seems to be in my rib area, which I realize is close to the colon where the excess gas must be.  

Can an acid reflux problem cause rib pain?  Sometimes I feel I have this even though I don't get heartburn that much.  Sometimes I feel like I have to burp but it kind of gets stuck in my chest until it eventually comes up.  Can a hiatal hernia cause the problems I am having?  I know hiatal hernias are common, especially with people that have also had GB problems.

I have read various postings on the boards and see that rib pain isn't that uncommon, but there are different reasons for it ranging from a GI problem to something muscular.  Sometimes I think it is both in my case, but I can't say for sure.  From your experience, what are the most common reasons a person would feel pain in their ribs?  I have researched rib pain, but most of the time the information I find is confined to either left sided rib pain or right sided rib pain and doesn't talk about when you have both.  Before I had my GB surgery last year I did have a complete blood workup, echocardiogram and abdominal sonogram and nothing abnormal was found other than the stones in my GB.

Thank you for any information you may supply me.