Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Rib pain-liver-related
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Rib pain-liver-related

A little less than a year ago I suffered a fairly critical soccer injury which resulted in a broken rib, a bleeding liver, and perhaps some cartilage damage as well. After spending one night in the hospital until my liver stopped bleeding, I was released and was told that there was nothing that could be done to help the pain, and it would just take time to heal. It has been almost a year, and I am still in severe pain that is inhibiting my lifestyle. Now, the pain has spread not only from the initial hit (in the front, lower rib/liver/diaphragm area), but also around the ribs on my side and to my back. I do think this is compensation from the intial injury, and is muscle-related. I have received some massage therapy which seems to be a temporary solution to a permanent problem. The pain is extremely frustrating-it hurts when I laugh, cough, or sneeze, and I can't lay on my right side for more than 20 minutes or so. I am looking for any sort of advice--mainstream medicine, alternative medicine, stretches that I can do...anything. I am a 22 year old active female and don't feel that I need to deal with this for the rest of my life. Any suggestions?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
.................So long you have not been exposed to Hepatitis, have a serious drinking problem, are not turning yellow (strike this if youre asian) are urinating dark, feel weak/fatigued, the only thing I would suggest is not necessarly physical therapy but rather chiropractic adjustments. Depending on the mechanism of the injury, i.e. a kick, unbalanced fall, compressed force, etc etc, a back injury can most defenitely radiate to the ribs and not necessarly the ribs to the back. I would get some thoracic and cervical x rays, get adjusted 10-15 times by a chiropractic and see if that will help. If it doesnt..... defenitely get some blood work and see if your liver is acting up.

ta ta

The above was a joke, hope it didnt offend you. :)
Blank
I am a 49 year old white male, 70" tall and weigh 180 lbs. The last couple of years I have been experiencing severe stomach cramps in the upper part of my stomach every time I bend over even just to tie my shoes or pick something up off the floor. I have to lie flat on my back for few minutes and the cramp subsides. I don't know if they are related but, I have been having pain in my back in the same area. I also have a severe gas problem. I was exposed to a severe outbreak of Hepatitus (hepatitis) in 1973 while in the U.S. Marines in North Carolina there were about 15 confirmed cases and, was injected with the virus as a vacination. I've heard they do it diffrent now. Also on my last physical the doctor said my bloodwork showed me to be a heavy drinker. The only problem with that is that I haven't drank any alcohol since 1973.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703