Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Rib pain-liver-related

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Rib pain-liver-related

A little less than a year ago I suffered a fairly critical soccer injury which resulted in a broken rib, a bleeding liver, and perhaps some cartilage damage as well. After spending one night in the hospital until my liver stopped bleeding, I was released and was told that there was nothing that could be done to help the pain, and it would just take time to heal. It has been almost a year, and I am still in severe pain that is inhibiting my lifestyle. Now, the pain has spread not only from the initial hit (in the front, lower rib/liver/diaphragm area), but also around the ribs on my side and to my back. I do think this is compensation from the intial injury, and is muscle-related. I have received some massage therapy which seems to be a temporary solution to a permanent problem. The pain is extremely frustrating-it hurts when I laugh, cough, or sneeze, and I can't lay on my right side for more than 20 minutes or so. I am looking for any sort of advice--mainstream medicine, alternative medicine, stretches that I can do...anything. I am a 22 year old active female and don't feel that I need to deal with this for the rest of my life. Any suggestions?
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
.................So long you have not been exposed to Hepatitis, have a serious drinking problem, are not turning yellow (strike this if youre asian) are urinating dark, feel weak/fatigued, the only thing I would suggest is not necessarly physical therapy but rather chiropractic adjustments. Depending on the mechanism of the injury, i.e. a kick, unbalanced fall, compressed force, etc etc, a back injury can most defenitely radiate to the ribs and not necessarly the ribs to the back. I would get some thoracic and cervical x rays, get adjusted 10-15 times by a chiropractic and see if that will help. If it doesnt..... defenitely get some blood work and see if your liver is acting up.

ta ta

The above was a joke, hope it didnt offend you. :)
Avatar n tn
I am a 49 year old white male, 70" tall and weigh 180 lbs. The last couple of years I have been experiencing severe stomach cramps in the upper part of my stomach every time I bend over even just to tie my shoes or pick something up off the floor. I have to lie flat on my back for few minutes and the cramp subsides. I don't know if they are related but, I have been having pain in my back in the same area. I also have a severe gas problem. I was exposed to a severe outbreak of Hepatitus (hepatitis) in 1973 while in the U.S. Marines in North Carolina there were about 15 confirmed cases and, was injected with the virus as a vacination. I've heard they do it diffrent now. Also on my last physical the doctor said my bloodwork showed me to be a heavy drinker. The only problem with that is that I haven't drank any alcohol since 1973.