Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Ribbon-like tissue in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Ribbon-like tissue in stool
for the last few days I have had tissue-like material mixed throughout my stool--I'm talking about several dozen pieces.  I thought it may be undigested food at first, but when it continued, I thought about what I had eaten in the past 48 hours and nothing matched what this stuff looked like.  I'm afraid it could be tissue breaking off from my colon and wonder if anyone has seen anything like this.
i promise you its not tissue breaking off from your colon.  Have you ate any celery??  It could be a MILLION things, colon tissue is not one of them, i promise.
I have had this problem on and off for fifteen years!  Many doctors have told me they have no idea what causes this but YES it is tissue...actually the lining of your intestinal tract.  (This was verified to me by several labs.)  Mine usually occurs when I am under extreme stress or have eaten something I am most likely allergic to.  For example...I have discovered over the years that the herb "rosemary" makes me extremely ill with diarrhea, nausea and SURPRISE!!! my intestinal lining sloughing off.  It is not normal and the doctor I have currently told me that there are many reasons for this phenomena and that all of them mean that there is something wrong with your digestive system!  You need to check with a good gastroenterologist if the problem continues!
A related discussion, tissue like substances in my stool was started.