Right Abdominal Pain Since Gallbladder removal (worsening by day)
My wife had her gallbladder removed approx. 10 months ago after family phys. found gallbladder function at 15%.  3 days after the lap. surgery  she was admitted into a local ICU for severe right side upper area pain, which has been there ever since, (no radiant travel of pain accross or down the abdominal area). The pain is located under/behind the first lower rib on her right side about 6-8 inchs from the center breast plate.  On site doctors claimed that this pain was post surgical swelling and it would go away. She was given demeral drip and released after 1 1/2 days.  She regularly complained of sharp pains in that area after performing physical task requiring lifting/stretching of the right side or right arm. 4 months ago the pain reached a level that required a visit to the local E.R. After X-rays and blood work, the ER physician said the pain was due to "slightly" packed bowls.  A pain shot was given for pain and E.R. Dr said to take a natural laxative, she was back in the E.R. the next night for severe dehydration and original pain of right side. Since that time she has had 7 trips to the emergancy room, 8 visits to the family Dr.. There have been 6 X-rays done to the area of pain, an upper scope, a Spirral C/T scan with contrast at 3mm.  An MRI of the upper and lower back area's. Numerous numbers of blood test, all of which showed nothing that the Physicians could even remotely claim to cause this pain.  The only common demoniator is that the last 4 sets of X-rays showed full bowels and these 2 metal clip things attached to the area where the gallbladder was before removal.  I have seen these X-rays many times and one of these clips are sticking up at approx a 20-25 degree angle. (center/0 deg angle being the right inner shoulder).  The other clip (left one, if you are face to face with my wife) is lying down at a left tilt angle of aprox 45-55 deg center/0 deg being the same reference point as stated above.  She has been prescribed (excuse the spelling on these) Loritab, Talwin, Oxycodon, and several other local IV's at the ER to help with the pain.  This pain has really really gotten worse in the last 5 to 7 weeks.  She almost cries herself to sleep everynight now due to the sharp pain in her right side.  Sometimes she said its a sharp stabbing pain that turns into a burning stabbing pain.  Non of which are superficial, all the pain felt can best be described as deep and under the ribs.  Our physician which we changed too approx. 4 weeks ago referred us to another surgeon but warned us that surgeons dont like going back in behind other surgeons to do any additional mending/repairs. After several trips to this new family Dr. and numerous NON-returned phone messages I accidently found this web-site and figured "what the hell". So if any of you medical professionals out there reading this post has some idea's let us know.  My 9 year old daughter and I will be right here by the computer watching mommy float around the room on her new drugs
Hi I am a 47 yr old female. I had my gallbladder removed on Feb. 20 2006. Everyone told me that I was going to feel 100% better. Not so! First of all the day of my surgery I was in recovery for almost 3 hours. Scared my best friend to death they told her that she could see me in an hour. She kept checking back and they told her that I had gotten sick in recovery which I still don't know what happened. When I woke up I remember grabbing the upper part of my stomach and saying Ow! Right before I was released about an hour they brought me a tray of food in and let me eat it. It was not a clear liquid diet which I found out when they released me on my release papers it said to stay on a clear liquid diet. I left the hospital around 2:00 p.m. that afternoon but by 6:00 p.m. I was so nauseated and starting vomiting. I was vomiting brown, yellow and foamy white stuff. My mom called the doctor so he prescribed phengran and told me not to take my vicodin. Also told me to eat a cracker and milk and not lay down and walk around and call him in an hour. It still didn't help. I continued to get sick. He then said go to the emergency that was around 6:00 p.m. Said he was calling them to let me know I was coming. The emergency room was so full that I stayed out there until 11:00 p.m. still vomiting at least every 15 minutes.They put IV in me and took blood tests to see if my liver was ok. Oh Forgot that was the first time I was ever put to sleep. Did have 4 C-sections but was awake for those. So they admitted me into the hospital said that I was dehydrated and my blood pressure was high, I have always had low blood pressure. So I still continued to vomit then they also gave me potassium. I stop vomiting but I was so scared that I had ripped something out. I could not eat anything food made me sick just to smell it. I stayed in the hospital from around tuesday night to friday afternoon. They said that my blood pressure was still high but let me go home. They sent me home with phenegran and told me to take advil for pain. Also to stay on a low fat diet and not eat any greasy food. The first two weeks I was home around 5:00 am I would wake up with severe pain above my belly around and on my right side by my ribs. I also had trouble with my bowels. In the hospital they had to give me suppositories and milk of magnesium. Then we I got home they had me take immodium. I think my bowels are just now starting to get back on the right track. It took me 3 weeks before I could go back to work. Before I went back to work I called my doctor and told him about the pain that was waking me up and he said don't eat any greasy foods. I still have pain on my right side and above my belly where the 2 cuts were made. Now it's 5 weeks after my surgery and I still have pain in those places. My brother in law had this surgery he eats hot and spicy wings and everything else. I run into some people that can't eat greasy foods anymore. Some people that still hurts like this. I keep wondering will I be normal again. Getting tired of baked chicken, baked turkey,no chocolate, I am dying for a Big Mac and spaghetti. Is their anyone else out there like me or does this happen to just some people. I want to eat normal again and I don't want to hurt like this. Will it go away? This surgery got me scared of ever having another one. The c-sections was painful but nothing that I ever experienced with this surgery! Also I get shaky alot now. Oh yea good thing I lost 10 lbs but what a way to lose it! I rather be bigger and feel good. Sorry so long! It was one of the worse experiences that I have gone thru in a long time!
So sorry to read about the persistent pain some of you are experiencing.  I am a 44 yr old female and had my gallbladder removed 10/05 and have also had ribcage pain ever since then, especially in one particularly sensitive spot.  In 1/06, I had a hysterectomy and asked the original surgeon to take a look at the same time (I figured as long as I was unconscious and opened up via laparoscopy, why not?)  He removed scar tissue and adhesions, but the pain didn't subside post surgery.  He ran many tests: CT scans, ultrasound, MRI, bloodwork, even had a cyst aspirated on the opposite side of my abdomen.  I've had several acupuncture treatments--the 2nd one helped a lot for about a week.  Chiropractic relieves pain temporarily as well.  Now I just began a pain management program with injections and Lidocaine patches.  Pain mgmt will not heal the nerve; rather, it will try to redirect the pain signals my brain is issuing.  I'm being very proactive.  Everyone except the original surgeon agrees with my own personal diagnosis that the surgeon hit a nerve during the original surgery, albeit not one of the major nerves, possibly during insertion the scope.  I believe it was a fluke of surgery and really cannot say that the surgeon did anything wrong.  (The surgeon doesn't disagree with my own diagnosis--but as you can imagine, he can't bring himself to admit that this is what happened.) You wouldn't really know anything was wrong with me to look at me.  I do all regular activities, including an hour each day at the gym.  I otherwise feel very strong and healthy.  Despite the constant pain, I am determined to lead a normal life and hope that one day the nerve will heal.  Sometimes just having this pain does get to me--a constant reminder of the aging process.  But that is a part of life, and I do try to remain as positive as possible.
I'm a 20/M I recently had my gallbladder removed and am having pain also. Around the same place i originally had the pain before i got it removed. It's been about 10 days since and i'm noticing not only the occasional pain, but also nausea, dark yellow urine in the mornings but light yellow during the day, and green stools. Anyone else relate to this? or should be of concern
I haven't had any gastrointestinal issues since my surgery 6 months ago.  Have you had your post-op visit yet?  If you haven't done so already, I suggest you call your surgeon and describe your symptoms.
Has anyone uncovered a link between the post op pain and the usage of the metal clips to close the ducts?

How many people with this problem have reactions to metals.... ears getting irritated if earrings aren't gold etc....

My wife is 3 weeks out from the surgery and the pain is bad. She found these posts and started to cry... this is me she said....

She has a severely painful reaction to a metal stent during a kidney operation a few years ago... as soon as the stent was removed she felt better....

Now that we've read more on the surgical procedure and see that they use either metal clips, disolvable clips, or string to tie the  ducts closed; we believe the problem may be a reaction to the metal...

Anyone else?
Wow.... and all these years I thought I was the only one that experienced the right pain by the rib cage..... When it starts, I just lean to the left and hold it in and sit there for a while until the pain goes away.  I also get spasms in that area, any one else get those?  Well, my gallbladder surgery was in July 2003, I've had pains since then... and I also developed a Hernia at my surgery site... so I suffered from that pain too. About three months ago, I was on teh verge of pneumonia... I was coughing so hard that the muscle split and the hernia strangulated... on way to the hospital, it went back in and pain went away.  I went to the surgeon within a week... he said, ok need to operate,  So I said "while you in there, there's a few things i need you to check out... first, the pain in gallbladder area, second my left ovary that gets many cysts, and third  and fourth feel free to remove any fat that gets in your way, remove it all if you want and also, tye my tubes"  Needless to say, he left the room shaking his head... oh will it was worth the try, figured while he was in there, just made sense to me financialy to get everything done at once... anyways... he said the pain from gallbladder site is from scar tissue and nothing can be done about that.... so I'm in fourth week recovery from surgery and had a great day today with no pain from repain, but I'm still sitting here leaning to the left and holding my side.... and wondering if it's really true that the gallbladder is not needed... I must admit, I do feel better since it was removed... except for the pain...
At the insistence of the pain management doctor I'm seeing, I saw another surgeon this week for a 2nd opinion.  She feels that the pain I'm experiencing is inflammation of the cartilage at the bottom of my ribcage.  She wants me to take 600 mg. Motrin/4x a day for a month to see if it helps.  That seems like a lot of medication; I'll see what the pain management doctor has to say about that when I see him this week.  I would have thought that if that were the case, 6 months of healing time plus many chiropractic treatments would have done the job, too.  Plus, I took a lot of Motrin after both surgeries, nowhere near that quantity, but enough that I should have seen at least some alleviation of the pain, and I didn't.  But, then again, perhaps she's on to something.

When she said "You might just have to get used to the pain," I tuned out.  That is NOT an option for me.  She only acknowledged nerve and muscle fiber damage when I brought it up and it seemed that she did so grudgingly.

Interesting post about the metal clips.  I reviewed my surgical report (the first one) and can't find any mention of what kind of clips were used.

I'm starting to realize that muscles, cartilage, nerves are so intertwined in the body that with regard to chronic pain, perhaps it's almost impossible to point at just one thing and say, "Yes, that's the problem."
My story sounds exactly the same.  Gallbladder out July '05, pain, getting worse.  Have had all the tests for bile ducts, etc.  Finally dr. did a biopsy of my small intesine, guess what...finally diagnosis... Celiac disease.  I have been reading alot about it (as most Dr's dont know a whole alot about it) and have been on a gluten/wheat free diet since - makes a huge difference in the pain.  Now I am almost pain free, but if I mistakenly eat something with gluten/wheat - the pain returns.  Please read up on Celiac - it is definately worth a try, a very good book is "Dangerous Grains".  Good luck.
apsenmarie
I had surgery to remove my gallbladder along with a procedure to relive GERD(can't remember what the procedure is called some kinda "fundus wrap')this was all done laproscopicaly(sp)-this was 6 years ago...yes folks  6 long years ago.I have had maybe 10 solid bowel movements since.gross huh?Inconvient and painful is what it is.I am now doing some research of my own about what the issues are currently..Trying to be prepared so to speak before I seek medical advice from a dr.Here's whats going on -daily.I now get acid reflux again that did stay away for about 5 yrs. but it has graced me with it's presence again.I stay bloated.My insides still make extremly loud noises after I eat. Starting in the upper left. My entire abdomen area "burns"regularly. I have persistant pain in my upper right side in the exact area where the pain was before gallbladder removal(I wonder if they really took it out)This pain is also firey and can only be located by touch on the outside in a very isolated spot .This pain is always present,sometimes dull other times horrid.I have never had gas prior to surgery as I have post.Its like painful,has to be pushed out and is explosive(no more silent ones)Bowel movements are the same..explosive and watery(foul smell).Burps are also pretty foul(sound &smell)..I feel them come up, and they can be heard rising.Also,I have a pain that starts mid stomach,this pain is sooo bad I grab the phone and dial 911 so i can hit send if I stop breathing.This pain will seem like it goes right through me to the exact place in my back,and produces extreme nausia which goes into extreme heaving..I rarely throw anything up,but the gagging leaves me dizzy and gasping for air cause its so much longer than a normal gag and it increasing the pain.Then it seems to peak out,and die dwn.Unless the 1st bout of gagging was intense enough, it will occur again. Theres no certain time or place for this.Its happened on the way to work and it has woke me from sleep at 2am.I also have pain during intercourse,it last up to a week following intercourse.My husband has no idea all that I hide..it is embarassing.Especially when you don't know whats wrong or what to do.I was giving some kinda powder to take 6 mos. after surgery to slow dwn the speed of bowel movements after eating.I was back in the hospital 30dys after surgery for the pain I was describing that starts in my abdomen,it sometimes radiates to my right shoulder and my neck.I have somehow adjusted to these episodes, or excepted that the people treating me can't fix it, or identify it.I am very concerned.I have had 2 family members that had clostomy's and an aunt who's had parts of her intestines removed. I am scared.My symptoms of whatever my problem is have progressivly gotten worse.I am 37, and feel like I am falling apart. I have hotflashes too,if I cough,it hurts in my abdomen as well as sneeze.I see little glittery spots in my perifial if I cough, sneeze, turn my head too fast.So if there's ANYONE out there who can identifiy or has a clue what I am going through. I would love some feedback. I have no insurance, so I have to make sure I pick the right DR to see, so I don't get the run around.Any advice on the type of Dr I should consult with is also welcomed. Sorry to take so much space.I just don't feel I can get true feedback without giving all the details and symptoms. To all those who suffer...I feel your pain, embarassment and frustration. Thanks.
I had gallbladder surgery 7/3/02 and have had pain ever since. Also have bowel trouble it's either can't go at all, or make sure you're close to a bathroom. I've gotten pretty good at the eating out part. I know for the most part what restaurants I can eat in without having to make a mad dash to the restroom. There's no happy medium. I was really starting to think I was crazy or imagining the pain becuase everyone also told me how great I was going to feel. I had no warning. My pain has just started to get worse over the last couple of months. I had slight pain up until recently. I don't like to take pills so I have been putting off going to the doctor about it. Seems silly to suffer. To be honest on the really bad days I have nightmares waking up in a cold sweat because I dream that have cancer and I left my family all alone. I'm glad I found this site, it helps, maybe now I'll have regular dreams. When reading others comments it doesn't look like much can be done.
wow i had my gallbladder out in 1992(lap)way and was never right since.it was same day surgery and the next day i was admitted into icu in critical and was given my last rights twice,but i was there 5 days and with the grace of god i made it.14 years later i am suffering a nightmare and torture almost eveyday of my life. stomache problems ,burning ripping sensations in my ribs,back pain,and i have a horrible throbbing pain in my LEFT side.most of the problems developed shorly after the surgery,but the ribs started 5 years ago and noone can figure it out.they did find out that i have sjrogens,but that couldnt possibly cause me such pain. i cry alot.my family has been worried so i try to cry alone so they wont see the pain.a few years ago a radiologist doing my xrays told me i have quite a bit  of staples migrating ,but no doctor will touch it so i am tortured daily.so much more but i could probly wright forever.not sure if they still use staples,but maybe you all should look into it .good luck to you all and god bless
hi all im so glad i found this site, i had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago and i unlike alot of others dont regret it for a minute, the pain of gallstones was effecting my day to life every day,, however i have been suffering from a severe stitch like pain[like after running] in my right side between 2 of my scars [it was done laparoscopy [sp] they started off on exertion such as lifting, which i do in my job as a carer, but i have now been woken at night by them, it hurts to breathe in and is worse lying on my "good" side, i was wondering whether adhesions could cause these pains, any ideas??
If you have pain under your right ribs and all tests come back normal then you are not alone. I am putting together a support group. If you want to call me I will take your name and number and your conditions. I will let you know if someone else with the same symptoms finds any answers. You can email me at ***@**** or call me, Ricky, at 601-657-4587. We can get through this if we work together.
Hey there,I've had this really bad pain under my right rib cage for a while, probably 5 years. I've gone to the doctor and he told me that it could be my gallbladder. Well, after they've tested me, they said that it doesn't function as it should anymore, but they didn't find any stones.
The doctor told me to have it removed. But I didn't do that until I've had the same attack last August again. But this time I've had it so bad that I couldn't eat for several months right anymore. All I ate was oatmeal and light meals. It was misserable.I've felt like my food was constantly stuck in my throat. I got almost every single night for months this really bad pain in my right shoulder plate and the pain ran from my shoulder plate under my right rip cage. I constantly thought it was heartburn. I've had so bad pain that I cried and couldn't sleep. The doctor told me that I had to have my gallbladder removed, that this was the reason. To make the story short, I got my gallbladder removed last November. BIG MISTAKE!!! I wish I could have it back!!! Since ever then it has gotten worse. I have still those really bad attacks. The pain always starts in my right shoulder blade and then it connects with the pain under the right rib cage. It feels like stabbing unbearable pain. It also feels like it is burning in there. That's why I thought it was heartburn. But I am not sure about that anymore, since the pain is so strong. I am on acid medication since last August, which has been 10 months now. Nothing helps. I have a weird feeling in my throat, like something is stuck. It got worse after my surgery. A really weird feeling appeared in my throat, like a feeling that there is a hook on my inside gallbladder scar that is hooked up with my throat and it pulls down. it sounds weird, but that is the only way how to discribe it. I am in deep pain when the attack with the shoulder pain and rip cage pain are present. Which are right now there too. I've had to get up from sleep again because I can't lay when this happens, to much pain. I am only 27 years old and I am so scared that I will have to live the rest of my life with this now. The cronic pain is there during the day, but the attacks happen ever now and then.
I need help but the doctors are without results. I have had so many things done. They looked down my throat, into my stomach, they've done an colonoscopy and all kinds of other things, they couldn't find anything! Is there any doctor who has any Idea what this could be?? I NEED HELP! I am so depressed with this and frustrated. I want my life back as it was. HAPPY AND HEALTY! I have trouble being active in sports or walking! My life has changed because I am constantly in pain.
I would appreciate help.
Thanks!
I am sorry for your woes Sunny, you are not alone. I had my GB removed and it hasn't helped at all. I am trying to find help but no one will step up to the plate. I am beginning to despise the medical community. I saw a naturopath for a while and that went nowhere as well. If you find help please let us know about it.

After my GB surgery I would wake up at night after a nightmare that I had some dental floss sticking out of my mouth. When I tried to pull the string out of my mouth it was like it was attached at the other end in my stomach. It is a misserable feeling having this constant sometimes unberable pain, I know. Try to stick it out and keep in touch, we have to share any news that may help each other or others. ***@**** .
I also had my gallbladder removed 4 months ago and have not been right since.  I have had every test (or so the doctors seem to think) and tons of blood taken.  The only thing they can tell me is SOD, but the gastro doesn't seem to be in a big rush to find out.  My liver enzymes were extremely elevated 157 and 186, but that also doesn't seem to be concerning anyone but me.  I have gallbladder like attacks still and indesigtion and pain in the gallbladder/liver area, sometimes shooting pain.  The curious thing is this all started with a trip to the GP for left side pain.  I have constant diarreah and have lost almost forty pounds since feb.  I have very little appetite, and rarely eat unless I am starving.
Hello, I have been reading all the comments about all the problems everyone is having and like all of you I also had my gallbladder removed. It took 2 years of convincing the docs that I really had a problem. But I am glad it is gone. I was told after the surgery my gallbladder was thicked and there was alot of immflamation also. So it needed to come out. I have been living on cereal, salads, fish, vegetables and ice cream for the whole time. Although I have less pain it is still there in a big way.Gained 10 lbs since surgery (lost 35). I am still on the meds (Dilaudid) for the last 2 years also. I am still taking it as this is all the help I am getting at this point. I have gotten down to a low dose but had to get back up to the higher amounts. I still have severe right side pain. So I  stay on it. No one has an answer as to what is wrong. I think the docs sometimes just guess when they don't have an answer for all of us.
I feel as though I am 65 not 45 most days. I am also on amytriptiline at night to get some rest. That helps with the sleeping anyway. Other than that I have exausted all possibilities  for what else to do. Obviously narcotics are not the answer but I am hesitant to give them up as I have a hard heavy job and I need to be there to survive finacially. Maybe someone would have an answer to what else I could take that would not be so addictive. I do not want to be classed as a drug addict but need to get to work daily and this seems to be the only answer right now. I saw the GI specialist and she says to take Psylllium and wrote a prescripition for Busoopan? I don't know whether this will help but I am willing to try anything at this point. It is very frustrating. Any hints I'm open. Wish the best for all who are experiencing this. As others have said we are not NUTS!! thanks for listening. Kim
I'm a 35 year old female who has had chronic pain under my right lower rib cage for 2 1/2 years.  I finally broke down and had my gall bladder removed 6 weeks ago, even though the HIDA scan did not detect stones.  My gallbladder was inflamed w/ cholestrol deposits, but no stones.  Well, the surgery was much worse than I had expected.  I'm still sore (from the surgery) and I still have the original pain.  I just got back from a Gastroenterologist,  he basically said "sorry" there's not much more we can do (except test for SOD which apparently could cause pancreatitis?)  HELP! I'm so sad and am terrified that I am going to be in pain the rest of my life.  The doctors seem clueless.  Why are there so many of us with these symptoms, but the doctors don't know anything?  If anyone has found something that helps please let me know!!!!  
P.s.  Doctor prescribed desiparmine - has this helped anyone?
can someone please tell me what SOD is???
In answer to some of the questions... I am not a physician but I look alot of things up to find answers. SOD is sphincter of Oddi. This is a dysfuntion of the muscle itself.  It opens to release bile and closes when finished. Their are 3 types of oddi dysfuntion. To be short doctors think this is the problem when all else fails. Anyway they think I have this and if I wanted to have another surgery there are some docs out there who can put stents into help. I was told that I have a less than 25% chance of it helping. I had a 50% chance of my gallbladder removal being the answer to my problems so since I am still ill I say no way!!! to having anymore procedures at this time. Especially with that high of a risk.
As for the other question about deipramine. That is an anti-depressant. I also am taking something similar at night. It sure helps me sleep. That is all the good this does for me. So I take it. But it does nothing for the pain at all and it gets horrific. So I am still on pain medication and I am continually searching for answers on the internet. I was very happy to have found this sight and I believe we can help each other even if it is only moral support. I appreciate all the people who share on this sight and I will keep reading and searching. Have a good Canada Say or July 4th weekend everyone!! Kim
I am actually feeling a lot of mental relief just knowing that I'm not going crazy, and there are others that are going through the same thing.  Thanks for the support! I will continue looking for something that will help us and let you know if I find anything.  Hang in there.....Happy summer holidays :)
I thought I would post my story, in case it would help others.

I had laprascopic gallbladder surgery on June 14.  The surgery went well, and I was home 6 hours afterwards, recouperating.

This past weekend I was experiencing TERRIBLE terrifying pain in my right rib, abdominal cramping and pain at the breastbone area.  After many calls to my Surgeon, I decided it best to have hubby take me to the Emergency Room.

After many tests (cat scan with barium swallow, ultrasound, bloodwork, etc.) they unfortunately determined that a gallstone was blocked in my bile duct and I was there in the nick of time, as this could have easily caused Pancreatitis and could have been even more serious.

I spent two nights in the hospital (just returned home) and had a procedure, called ERCP, that opened my bile duct and retrieved a 6 mm gallstone.

I am sore, and tired, of being poked, proded and having procedures and surgery, but I am home recouperating and hope to be back on my feet in no time.

Lori
It's interesting that so many of us have pain under the right side ribs.  I remember having this pain before having my gallbladder removed and figured it was due to having asthma.  Now I wonder.  I notice mine starts if I tense up to much.  I hate when it happens while I am driving.  I have to pull over and get out of the car.  I find the best way to relieve the pain is to raise your arm/s up in the air and stand as straight as you can and breathe thru the pain.  It seems to end quicker this way.  I don't regret having my gallbladder removed.  I didn't have a choice.  I was told my gallbladder died and had to come out or I could die also.  Hmmmm.... that convinced me really fast and there was no time to shop around for another doctor.  I used to be nausated 24/7 and threw up many days.  Having the gallbladder removed did seem to clear up the nausea and throwing up.  Does anyone else wonder if it could be some type of muscle disorder that is still causing the pain?
You should all look into Celiac Disease.  This is an allergy to gluten and Dr's don't seem to know anything about it.  I have been going to a GI specialist for over 3 years and they told me everything from Irritable bowel syndrome to stress.  Finally after a Hida Scan, they found out that my gall bladder was mal-functioning.  Without trying to find out why, they took out my gall bladder.  I have been feeling worse with the same pain as everyone else is complaining about.  My boss said she thought I looked like someone else she knew who had Celiac -- I've lost weight since the surgery, look pale and sickly.  I started researching Celiac and I have so many of the symptoms it is unreal. (Although you can have Celiac and not have symptoms, also the symptoms vary from person to person.)  I got a blood test done last Friday to test for this and am waiting to get results.  In my research for Celiac disease I found out that if Celiac disease is undiagnosed in an adult it can lead to gall bladder malfunction and gall stones.  Bingo!  The gall bladder is removed but the problems persist or become worse.  Abdominal surgery (such as gall bladder removal) can also activate Celiac if you have it.  It is genetic, you're born with it but different things can set it off.  Celiac is one of the most underdiagnosed diseases.  Research shows that as many as 1 in 133 people could have it.  However, only 1 in 4,000 get diagnosed properly.  Honestly, do yourself a favour and research Celiac disease.  Reading through different threads regarding gall bladder surgery, I have noticed a few other people who have made the connection.  They were tested and diagnosed for Celiac and are now living a happy, pain free life on a gluten-free diet.  Isn't that worth looking into?  Very best wishes to all of you.
hi my brother is a celiac and was seriously ill at the time of diagnosis, no energy whatsoever and seriously anaemic,he started to get better and better after the first week on a gluten free diet, i dont think he suffered any of the pains described on here though.
my pain is more in my side around where two incisions were made and is more like stitch after running but doesnt wear off, noone seems to have the same problem as me so who knows what my problem is, my gp is inclined to think its adhesions so im stuck with it if thats the case as more surgery could cause more adhesions, a vicious circle
I am 1 week post op of gall baller removal. I have no desire to eat anything, and no energy to do so if I wanted.  I have this terrible pain in the right side mid rib cage area.  It is very intense.  There are also times it feels as though liquid is running down from my highest incision.  The feeling is like having an IV flushed out.  It is a cold sensation as it moves through. I had hoped that the surgery would resolve the major reflux that has developed in the last few months, but is seems to have intisified as well.  My surgery was not scheduled, I went to the ER and had all I could take after over a year of trying to avoid surgery.  I don't know if I missed any important infomation that could help me understand why things are still taking place.  I had no stones, they say the gall bladder was diseased (whatever that means) I am just curious as to side effects or problems after surgery that I was not made aware of.  Thanks:)
Hi.  Just responding to your comments about Celiac.  I realize that not all Celiacs will have gall bladder problems.  The symptoms are so varied, so people tend to look at their own situation and think that's how all Celiacs are.  I have researched on the net and if Celiac (or gluten intolerance) goes undiagnosed in an adult, it will start to affect your other organs such as gall bladder, pancreas, bile ducts, etc.  This is why some people get gall stones or a malfunctioning gall bladder.  The gall bladder is removed but the pain continues and often, GI symptoms such as diahrea will get worse.  I have a friend who has Celiac and she never had any problems with her gall bladder.  However, I do and I have read of other people who had the same pain most people on this thread are complaining about and it ended up being Celiac, gluten intolerance or some other food allergy.  I really think it is worth looking into.  I just really hope that I can help someone out there who is suffering after gall bladder surgery. And by the way, if anyone gets blood tests done for Celiac, even if they come back negative, that doesn't mean you don't have it.  Some people get diagnosed through intestinal biopsy or gene testing.  Best wishes to all of you.
I had my gallbladder removed almost 20 years ago.  I continue to have a variety of digestive problems - after many visit to various health care professionals and no definitive solutions I realized that the only person who really cared enough about the situation and about me, was ME.  Thus began my research, and I was the guinea pig - after about 4 years of suffering with IBS Symptoms (I had been oh so regular before my surgery), I learned about Celiac Disease and eliminated gluten from my diet - Huge change!  Little by little I began to understand that my wellness was my responsiblity, this did not mean I ceased to seek professional advice, but that in addition to that I had to be constantly aware of what I put into my body.  Here's what worked for me - No wheat, or gluten containing products - read the label, only low-fat dairy products in moderation, no red meat , fruits and vegetables, lots of water- use caution with vitamins - multivitamins are risky because you just don't know which ones are upsetting your system.  Walk everyday, become mindful of your breathing and your posture, invite the oxygen into the places that hurt (I know this sounds "new agey", but I'm not, and it works!)  Avoid stress (ok, try to avoid stress), get enough sleep - Taking care of ourselves is a privilege, not a task, love yourself enough to do the work.  Good Luck
Hello Everyone,
The first word that comes to mind is "validation!"  I have just read all about my pain.  As with most of you, I have been told scar tissue, IBS, possible stones still in, and/or results after GB surgery.  I fortunately, do not have as severe pain as alot you.  I am sorry that you are going thru this.  
I just injured my back and had to have an xray, when I learned almost three years later, that I have a surgical clip in my body.  I was shocked!  During my post op visit, I mentioned this pain, as well as other symptoms.  I now know in my heart that it is caused by this clip.
I am very interested in learning about these metal clips -- I read all the posts and noticed several people mentioned them.  Has anyone done research?  If so, have you gotten anywhere?  I would love to learn more about them.  
I certainly wish I would have had an option of metal or plastic.  I didn't even know until today I had one.  Oh my!  My email address is ***@****  If someone has information regarding the clips, again, I would love to learn about it.  Thanks again for the validation.  I am so grateful to have found this site.
Hi.  Really glad to read your post regarding post-gall bladder problems and Celiac.  I think a lot of people think I am nuts when I tell them that an intolerance to certain foods can cause so much havoc in the body.  It is estimated that 1 in 150 people have Celiac disease, or at the least gluten intolerance.  I think a large percentage of these people develop gall bladder problems and subsequent post-surgery problems and have no idea why.  Some of them go for years, suffering and looking for answers.  So glad to read that you resolved your problems.  I have been on the gluten free diet for about 5 weeks now and am starting to notice real improvement.  I wish more people on this thread would take our advise and get checked out for Celiac and gluten intolerance.
First off, I work in surgery, so for you who are concerned about the clips, let me explain how they work.  I am not discounting the possibility that you may be allergic to the metal clips, but that's is how the procedure is done.  The gallbladder has to be disconnected from the  bile duct, and the cystic artery.  Once these 2 are identified, they are clipped and cut.  If they are not clipped, you would either bleed to death, or you would become septic and die from all the bile leaking into your system.  The only other alternative is to be cut on( a huge cut across your upper abdomen,and the gallbladder taken out that way, in which case the duct and artery can be tied off with absorable suture( surgeons sometimes still use the clips even in an open procedure).

Second of all,  Gallstones are not formed in the gallbladder, they are formed in the liver.  If you are suffering from gallstones, and have your gallbladder removed, and are still having the same symptoms, then you have not rid yourself of the gallstones in your liver, and you will continue to hurt, and experience the same problems.  Even if you have no stones in your gallbladder, chances that you have them in your liver are pretty good, you must have them removed.  I have suffered with gallstones since early this year, and are scheduled for gallbladder surgery friday at noon.  The reason?  For years I have ate what I wanted to, and disregarded the implications of such irresponsible beharior.  My gallbadder functions at 32%.    If you are still suffering, please try this.  Go to www.************  liver and gallbladder cleanse, and go to DR Clarks recipe for ridding your body of gallstones.  I give you my word it works, as my ultrasound today proved, I had no gallstones.  I have done his cleanse 5 times, and rid my body of at least 1000 gallstones, now I just have the pain of a non functioning gallbladder.  the ingredients for the cleanse are less than 20 bucks, and might solve your pain problems.  Good luck.  I can be reached at ***@**** if you have any questions.  God speed on your healing.
I have been sitting here reading everyone
1) If you still have pain after the surgery, tell your doctor, and explain as clearly as possible.  If your doctor dismisses you, see a different one.

Of course surgeons don't like to operate to fix other surgeons' mistakes -- but that's more about wishing the first surgeon hadn't made a mistake in the first place, not about refusing service!  It is more difficult to operate after someone else, but surgeons are there to help you, and the won't refuse to operate, or even hesitate, if the reason for operation is fixing a mistake a previous surgeon made.  A surgeon a friend's mom saw said that he wished he had been the first to operate, but he hopes he'll be the last.  

2) Contrary to Chris33's comments, I have to state that gallstones form in the liver, and that liver flushes are of little benefit.  Gallstones form in the gallbladder, and liver flushes can be very dangerous, and are unlikely to rid the gallbladder of stones, unless you have very few, and they are very small. (The ducts that the gallbladder is connected to are only a few milimeters in diameter.)

3) Cholecystectomy should not result in significant changes to your gastrointestional health.  The body adapts to not having a gallbladder. (Horses and some other animals do not even have them.) If you have extreme symptoms or pain after your gallbladder is removed, you should make an appointment and TELL YOUR SURGEON, because it is not standard, nor is anything you should have to live with. These extreme symptoms are likely due to another illness (that may or may not have existed before gallbladder removal), or, very very rarely, a mistake made during surgery.

4) The clips used in the surgery are generally made of titanium, though absorbable clips exist.  It is definitely a shame that the only way patients learn that there will be clips left inside them is through their own research or discovery from x-rays.  However, titanium is inert to the body, and various research has shown that patients who receive absorbable clips have the same post surgical outcome as those who receive titanium clips.  Of course, it's possible that there are people who have reactions to titanium. (Again, if this exists, it's extremely, extremely, rare.).
oh and I forgot to mention, it almost feels like there is something 'hanging' inside of me where they went in. Maybe that's the clips??
I just had surgery about 3 or 4 weeks ago. gallbladder removed, and next day we found that they had to go in and get some stones out of my bile duct. I was in the hospital for almost a week for the two surgerys. I have a burning sensation in my upper right abdomen with the same pain as everyone else has stated. Under the lower right rib. Especially when breathing. Or making a turn while driving also aggravates it. I have my good days and I have my bad days, today happens to be a bad day. I doubt highly that I have celiac disease, because most of what I have been eating is salad and candy bars lately lol. I have had only one normal bowel movement since leaving the hospital. Mostly it's liquidy.
I feel bloated. Like I have a basketball inside me most of the time. And my skin feels like it's going to pop open any minute around my belly. When I'm bloated like this where they went in on my belly button definately hurts, probably due to the stretching of the skin around the incision. the surgery was done through laparascope. When I cough, sneeze, even laugh at times the pain in my side under my rib is almost like a knife going through it. It's above the incision, kind of between the one on the far right and upper right. Imagine it's where the gallblader was. I've only taken pain pills one night when I was at work because I don't like how they make me feel. So basically, I just deal with the pain when it comes on.
I just wanted to ask anyone who has gotten their gallbladder removed. I got mine on May 8,2006. The first week I couldn't move I had such sharp pains everywhere especially buy my collar bone. I called the doctor and she said it was gas. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Now and again I still have really bad gas problems, it seems like I have gas problems really bad now, I have to walk a lot to fix the gas and to loosen it up. I always get really bad pains in my stomach and I have needed to take my phenergan even after my surgery. The cut me in four spots and on one if my scars theirs a bubble on the top of it. The bubble hurts and itches sometimes....Does anyone else have these problems?
Hi, I just had my gallbladder removed in June. I developed many problems post op and still have pain, burning and nausea- I was better before the surgery.
I went into the hospital about 3 weeks post-op and had several tests- all of which were negative. I am now about 8 weeks post-op.

I have a history of allergic reaction to titanium implants. I fractured my ankle 5 years ago- had too many problems to go into ---but the doctor had determined, a year later, that I had osteomyelitis and I had a scheduled debridement and hardware removal done 11 months after the fracture. They discovered that I did not have an infection. I had inflammation due to the metal implants - and it was determined I was allergic to them.

Now, this doctor that took my gallbladder out knew that I was allergic to metal implants. I only saw him the week before surgery----never again- not even when I was in the ER after the surgery. It was in my medical chart that I was allergic to metal. He never told me he was implanting metal clips in me. If I had been told, I would have ensured that would not have happened. But, I was not informed.

The second admission to the hospital is when my internal medicine doctor finally asked the gallbladder surgeon if he had used metal clips for closure and sure enough- he had. I did not know until then.

I am now going to see another surgeon and demand that they be removed. In this case, I knew I was allergic to titanium, he knew too and still he used the clips.

But, others here may have the same problem- a metal allergy.
I found a website http://www.melisa.org/ that tests specifically for metal allergy. It is more common than you think.

I am just starting this fight and I hope that the new surgeon will remove the clips. I am now aware that other things have metal in them(such as dental fillings) and I will look into that also as I have several autoimmune disorders that could be linked to metal allergy.

Hope that the website helps for some here.

Kathy
I have a question,I have had yellow stool that burns really bad,and my stomach hurts and burns after i eat.I went to er the doc said all blood looked good,liver pancreas,all looked good did ultra sound said it looked good(dont have ins)so i didnt get the best care.Sent me homeWent to my doc monday and she did same blood test said it looked good also she said i was having to much bile ....i have never had my gallbladder took out,all i have read about this is you have to much bile if you had it  took out.So why am I haveing so much bile she put me on some kind of powder that absorbs this bile and a pill to help coat my stomach...why do i have this bile prob??
I had my gallbladder removed 3 days ago. My ultrasound had been negative but my gallbladder never showed up in my HIDA scan which was the reason for my surgery. Oh, I didnt mention that I ate an avacado and ended up in the emergency room with severe abdominal pain a week before surgery. Since surgery I have not had nausea and have had a couple of normal BMs. Tonight I ate salad with green onions and some cherries. I had the same pain I had before surgery but it did not last as long....was miserable.....right upper quad to back pain...deep like vise gripping spasms. I hope I did not have this surgery for nothing. After reading all the above I am not feeling very positive. Any thoughts?
A related discussion, Post Cholysyscestectomy syndrovme pain was started.
A related discussion, post surgery gallbladder pain was started.
A related discussion, I had gallbladder removed 17 years ago, but near where it was burning sharp stabbing twisting pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain and tightness of stomach after gallblader removal was started.
A related discussion, Extreme pain months after gaalbladder removal was started.
A related discussion, PAIN AFTER GALLBLADDER GONE PLEASE HELP was started.
A related discussion, Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery Complications was started.
A related discussion, Post Gall Bladder Surgery Pain was started.
A related discussion, Gall bladder pain was started.
A related discussion, undearable pain post gallbladder removal was started.
A related discussion, City you were born was started.