Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Right Upper Quad abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Right Upper Quad abdominal pain

I am a 31 year old female, about 40 lobs overweight, just recently diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri.  During the course of my diagnosis, I started having right upper quad discomfort (started in March).  It started with twinges and now is almost continuous aching.  The pain is located under my right rib cage and radiates to the midline.  It also hurts under my right shoulder.  I've had a negative upper GI, two negative abd. ultrasounds and been evaluated by a 2 gyn docs-- they felt it was not gyn related.  My alkaline phosphatase has been slightly elevated, other labs unremarkable.  I am scheduled for an ECG next week.  I do run a low grade temp (highest 99.8) most of the time.  I'm currently being treated with lasix for my ptc, Toprol XL for high BP, and Aciphex (which seems to make no difference with my symptoms).  The pain increases when I take a deep breath, but doesn't seem to be costochondritis or any other musc./skel. problem.  I can't say that eating affects my discomfort one way or another.  The pain does wake me at night.  Along with all this, I have been experiencing swollen lymph nodes which several doctors have told me are "not worrisome and don't need to be removed."  It's been one heck of a year.  I finally feel like the lasix is beginning to help with the pappiledema and severe headaches associated with my ptc.  Can you please help me with my other symptoms?  I am seeing my GP once again to demand an abd. MRI.  But other than that, I'm clueless.  I feel really awful and want to get to the bottom of this.  Thanks in advance for any help you're able to offer.
You might want to see a gastro specialist instead of just a GP.  It sounds like what is going on is gastro related and that is why I suggest you see a specialist.  I've been having RUQ pain since April when I had my gallbladder removed.  And I've been seeing a gastro specialist (several specilists).  Best of luck to you.
Thanks.  I'm seeing a GI doc for my endoscopy next week and will proceed with him as needed.  
I so appreciate your response!
Take care,
Elizabeth
It still sounds to me like Liver/Gallbladder problems.  Sometimes stones are invisible on ultrasounds and go unnoticed.
You have all the classic symptoms for this diagnosis.
Had very similar symptoms to your ab problems, especially the pain related. Please get them to check your thoracic spine as mine was all related to compression of disc and degeneration. Do you also find that once you are up and about that the pain decreases ? That immobility makes it worse ? That a deep breath hurts all the way through to your back ? These are all the same symptoms and they did every organ test known to man before a gastro specialist picked up a black spot on my spine in a bone scan. They even removed my gallbladder so get it checked out before letting go too far.
I have experienced the same type of pain \ discomfort for the past two years. I have had CT scan, upper GI, lower Gi, Ultrasound, bone scan, Xrays and numerous blood tests.I am now going to have ERCP, scope of the bile duct.The doctors suspect that there is a stone in the common bile duct.My gallbladder was removed Jan.2000.However this started in 1995, with severe vomitting and some discomfort on upper right, under rib cage.In November of 1999, I was admitted to hospital with high fever and chills. My liver enzymes count was 290 apparently 70 is normal.Also severe vomitting and pain in upper abdomen.Since then the "attacks" are every six weeks or so but the pain is constant,some days worse than others.Yesterday, I had an episode of vomitting and bowel along with the severe pain. I could hardly breath.I went to Hospital,my blood was ok, they gave me a shot for nausea and pain and sent me home.I understand how this can affect lifestyles and also the mental state. God Bless and stay well.
Thanks all for your help.  It's been awhile since I've checked back here and I'm amazed at the number of people that have answered my request.  Thanks tons.
I'm still having symptoms and so far things are all checking out fine.  I'll be sure to put your suggestions to good use.
take care,
Elizabeth