Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Right side pain/blood in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Right side pain/blood in stool

I am a female, aged 37.  For about 2 years I have had gallbladder-like symptoms.  Pain below right rib, comes and goes. I had an ultrasound about one year ago, and it showed no signs of stones, yet symptoms continue. Yesterday my stool was hard and almost painful and when relieved, my right side, where my gallbladder pain is, really tightened up, like someone was twisting it. Today, my stool was easier, but dark in color and there was blood surrounding it.  The blood was bright red in color. Is this related to gallbladder or possibly two different things going on?      Thank you for your help.
I do not know anything about the Gallbladder, so take this info lghtly. What I do know is that blood that is red in stool comes from below the stomach(somewhere in the intestines) and usually would be a sign of a fissure, hemmroid, or intestinal disorder such as colitis. If the blood was coming from the stomach or above it would be black (like coffee grounds) because of the acid in the stomach. Good luck and hope this is of some help.
If you haven't yet:  First, make a doctor's appointment.  Second, educate yourself, on gallbladder problems.  Third, Don't worry yourself to much.  My non-doctor understanding is Blood in the stool that is red is usully not related to anything real bad, but is important enough to get medical attention for.  Black tar or coffee ground like stools is something you need to get to the doctor real fast for.  Do not ignore the bleeding as it could turn into something bad down the road. Blood in the stool is not normal get it checked out.  

I don't think there's much chance your stool symptoms are related to your gallbladder. The blood could be from an internal hemorrhoid, possibly related to your straining with the hard stool, or possibly something like colitis. Since there's still the unanswered question about what your "gallbladder problem" is, you really should go back to the doctor and update him on this latest development. It's probably nothing serious but I second what jc hank said - blood in the stool is not normal, and you should have it checked out.

Good luck.
It is very possible you have an ulcer. Same thing happened to me for 7 years i went like you until one day i pasd out from blood loss. It can also be signs of polops. Please be persistent with your doctor to find out what is causing this. Much luck 'keep us posted.
you may have ulcers or palups in the colon areas, that would cause the bleeding, i would see a doctor, and ask about crohn's disease and having a colonoscopy done, i feel for you because that is exactly what happened to me and i went through all the tests and finally got diagnosed with crohn's, good luck and best wishes to you and yours.   get a doctor!!!!!!
It can be IBD (CD,UC).
IBD is related to some liver(gallblatter) diseases.
So, go for a MRI scan (MRCP), an ultrasound is not enough!
A related discussion, Blood in stool every few months was started.