Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Risk of H. Pylori transmission through kissing

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I was diagnosed with H. Pylori from a biopsy done during an upper endoscopy.  The endoscopy was done because of a variety of stomach problems I've been having such as pain, early satiety, etc.

Is there a risk of transmitting H. Pylori to my girlfriend through deep kissing?  I have read in some medical literature that H. Pylori has been found in the mouth and that oral-to-oral is a possible mode of transmission.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Yes, it is possible that H Pylori can be transmitted through oral-oral contact.  The exact mechanism is unknown, but some studies show that the bacteria can live in dental plaque or via gastric secretions.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd