Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
SEVEN BIOPSIES???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

SEVEN BIOPSIES???
I WAS HOSPITALIZED LAST WEEKEND WITH SEVERE PANCREATITIS ATTACK.  WHILE IN THERE THEY DID A COLONOSCOPY.  DURING THE COLONOSCOPY THE DID SEVEN BIOPSIES.  I HAD MY GB OUT IN SEPTEMBER OF LAST YEAR.  SINCE THEN I'VE BEEN HOSPITALIZED 2X'S FOR INTERNAL BLEEDING AND BILE LEAKS AND 2X'X FOR PANCREATIC ATTACKS.  MY MAIN WORRY RIGHT NOW IS CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME A CLUE AS TO THE REASON FOR THE BIOPSIES?  WHAT EXACTLY DO BIOPSIES SHOW?  I HAVEN'T RECEIVED THE RESULTS FROM THE GI DR YET AND I AM GETTING WORRIED?
Tigre,
Normally a liver biopsy or more, is done to find out the condition of the liver..
Do you have any abnormal liver symptoms? Sometimes, when surgery is done, and they are already in there, they do this as it is conventient to get to while they are in there.
I had a large cyst drained in my liver in November of last year. I have polycystic liver disease.(By the way, I can find no one with this problem, hardly at all). While the surgeon was in there, he did 3 liver biopsies. It's done basically to find out what is going on within the liver.
I probably havent been much help.
Just my thoughts..
Have a nice day,
Lyn/Ark
AS FAR AS I KNOW HE TOOK THE BIOPSIES FROM THE COLON.  I HAVE HAD ELEVATED LIVER STUDIES IN THE PAST BUT NOT THIS TIME.  IVE BEEN TOLD THAT BIOPSIES ARE TO RULE OUT CANCER.  IS THIS THE ONLY REASON.  ANYBODY KNOW?
BIOPSIES CAN BE TAKEN TO RULE OUT CANCER,SEE IF INFECTION IS PRESENT,OR A NUMBER OF OTHER REASONS.
Biopsies done during colonoscopies are usually because of colon polyps. Colon polyps can be benign or malignant. As a general rule most polyps over 2cm are malignant, but not always. And colon polyps can also cause bright red rectal bleed.
A related discussion, recent liver biopsy- with rt.shoulder pain- 12/27/2010 was started.