Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
SEVERE PAIN AFTER COLON SURGERY

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

SEVERE PAIN AFTER COLON SURGERY

MY MOTHER 76 GREAT HEALTH BEFORE SURGERY HAD DIVERTICULITIS HAD 12" OF HER COLON REMOVED 3 MONTHS AGO.  SHE WAS IN ICU FOR 5 DAYS WHICH WAS A BAD EXPERIENCE BECAUSE THEY HAD HER ON MOPHINE.
COMING HOME AFTER 10 DAYS IN HOSPITAL SHE WAS HAVING STOMACH PAIN.  NOW AFTER 3 MONTHS SHE CONTINUES TO HAVE PAIN.  I HAVE TAKEN HER TO A GASTROENTERLOGY SPECIALIST IN MEMPHIS. TN.  HE HAS DONE CAT SCANS, SCOPE, BLOOD WORK, X-RAYS, AND NOW HAS HER SET FOR A MRI ANGLEGRAM AND SAID HE DOES NOT KNOW WHY SHE IS IN PAIN.  SHE HAS LOWER STOMACH PAIN AT TIMES AND OTHERS TIMES HAS UPPER PAIN.  HE DID FIND A HYNER HERNIA BUT SAID AT HER AGE THAT IS NORMAL.  SHE HAD NEVER TAKEN PAIN MEDICINE BEFORE BUT NOW TAKES DARVACET AND A HYDORCO PAIN MEDICINE TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE DAY.
SHE IS VERY INDEPENDENT LIVES ALONE STILL DRIVES ARE AT LEAST SHE DID BEFORE THE SURGERY.  WE ARE AT A LOST AS TO WHAT TO DO NEXT.  BEFORE SURGERY SHE WEIGHTED 102 AND LAST WEEK SHE WAS DOWN TO 82.5.  SHE EATS JUST 3 OR 4 BITS AND SAYS SHE IS FULL SHE DOES EAT ABOUT EVERY 2 HOURS.
BEFORE I TOOK HER TO MEMPHIS I DID TAKE HER BACK TO THE DOCTOR WHO DID THE SURGERY IN CLARKSDALE, MS.  HE DID A X-RAY WITH THE BALOON(FORGOT THE NAME) VERY PAINFUL.  HE SAID EVERYTHING WAS FINE FROM THE SURGERY AND TOLD HER TO GO HOME AND EAT ANYTHING AND THAT IT WAS TAKING HER LONGER TO HEAL BEACUSE OF HER AGE.  THAT WOULD BE TRUE EXCEPT FOR THE PAIN AND NO SHE CAN NOT EAT ANYTHING SHE EATS SOFT FOODS AND NO SPICE AT ALL.
ANY SUGGESTIONS, WE ARE AT A LOSS.  SHE LIVES IN A SMALL TOWN IN AR. AND I LIVE IN AL.  I SPENT MANY HOURS ON THE ROAD BECAUSE I WANT HER TO FEEL COMFORTABLE WHEN SHE HAS ALL THESE TEST AND MEMPHIS IS THE CLOSEST LARGE CITY TO HER.
PLEASE ADVISE US OR GIVE US YOUR OPIONION.
THANKS
The CT scan and scope (I presume an upper endoscopy) would rule out more of the severe causes, such as pancreas, ulcers, or inflammation of the upper GI tract.  

I would consider a 24-hr pH study to evaluate for reflux.  This is the most comprehensive test for this - and is normally performed at larger academic medical centers.  This may have already been done, but blood tests for H Pylori (a bacteria associated with ulcers and inflammation) should also be considered.  Another suggest would be an ultrasound to evaluate the gall bladder, or a HIDA scan with CCK stimulation to evaluate gall bladder function.

If the tests are not revealing, a second gastroenterological opinion is suggested.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I've been reading up on Tahitian Noni juice and it seems to help many people for many different reasons (cancer, stomach pain, depression)- it might be worth a shot to try her on it-
I have tried it for several months for colon issues and it actually was working- I was faithfully taking it 3 x's a day-but I got busy, etc. so now I'm back in pain w/ colitis.
it is a natural juice so there are no side effects-it is supposed to heal, etc better then aloe- look around on the web- type in "Tahitian noni juice"
you never know...
this was the brand I bought and was recommended to by my health food store dietician:
http://www.nonijuice.us/

good luck
Thank you for your information.  My mother is trying the Nomi juice.  She said it taste really bad.  She just finished the MRI and we are waiting for her doctor to contact us with the results.
yes- I didn't want to say anything but it isn't the greatest tasting drink- a little bitter-
I work with seniors and a few have started the noni- one lady has had chronic stomach pain for years- she said after she drank the noni for about a week it kicked in- her pain is gone! So-who knows- maybe it works- It helped me for a while but then it stopped- so not sure if it helps short term or long term...
good luck
A friend of mine had his colon removed about two yrs ago.
He is still having trouble with his bowels. He still goes to the bathroom about 18 times a day. If not more.
What more can be done for him? He does not want to put the bag back on.
A related discussion, pain after colon surgery was started.