Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
SEVERE PAIN AFTER EATING

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

SEVERE PAIN AFTER EATING

I have been experiencing severe pain after eating.  My doctor first suspected gallstones.  He scheduled an ultrasound and recommended that I follow a low fat diet until the test.  Two nights ago I woke up in such severe pain that I literally thought I was dying.  I went to the emergency room where the attending doctor gave me pain medication and told me again to folow a very strict diet.  The next day I had a bowl of bran cereal with skim milk and again experienced extreme pain.  At lunch I ate 4 low fat graham crackers and had such a severe attack that I was again in the emergency room.  An ultrasound was performed and showed no stones. Today I had jello for breakfast and for the first time no pain.  Tonight I had two boiled new potatoes and some jello and experienced severe pain.  My concern is that anything I eat causes so much pain.  I am 34 years old,a runner,mother of two,in good health otherwise.  Please give me some idea of the questions to ask my health care provider as I am in a managed health care program.  Also any ideas on what may be causing this pain.
____________
dear Stephanie,
You need to see a gastroenterologist for further tests to identify the cause of your pain. Ulcer disease is one possible cause that comes to mind for your pain.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: abdominal pain
0.2