Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
SIGMOID COLON

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

SIGMOID COLON

: : I`m a 30 year old man that has had problem with my bowels all my life,constipation I have been having stomach pains for several years not severe untill about three weeks ago they started getting worse and I stay bloted all the time and when I eat is when the pains are worse.My docter recently done a ultrasound of the gallbladder,pancreas and bileducts the results said as follows normal ultrasound of the gallbladder and amylase,lipase and liver function tests had been normal as was the CBC.He also had lab work done and the following was off-MONO%10.3,TRIG 201,ALK-PHO 50.There was notes on ultrasound report that there was a small 5-6 mm.gallbladder polyp,no gallstones or biliory dilototion and only a portion of the pancreatic head was visualized because there was too much bowel gas to visualize the rest of the pancreas.He also done the endoyscopy found hiatal hernia,gastritis and said that my stomach linen was inflamed.The last ct scan of the abdomen & pelvis report is whats got me scared here`s what it reads there are some areas of incomplete distention however,of the distal descending colon & especially the sigmoid colon.The distal end of the sigmoid colon there appears to be an area of narrowing and wall thickening,in fact there may be several areas of narrowing in the distal sigmoid.I seem to be getting the run around from my docters office and I`m pretty scared about the test report that I just noted above!I have a 3 year old son that is my life and I just want to make sure that I am healthy.What do you think my problem is?Any suggestions?
  : _______________
  : Dear Timothy Kerr:
  : Your worry about the abdominal CT scan regarding the description of "wall thickening and narrowing of the distal sigmoid colon" is legitimate because it sounds very abnormal and scary.  But such description of the abdominal CT scan happens frequently due to theincomplete distention of the colon.  Abdominal CT scan is an excellent test for evaluating solid organs in the abdomen such as liver, kidney, pancreas, spleen, lymph nodes and for identifying abnormal strucutres e.g. abscesses.  The CT scan, however, is not a good test for evaluating the intraluminal structures. When the large intestines are not distended during the CT scan (as we frequently see), the normal intestines wall collapses leading to narrowed lumen and thickened wall of the intestines on the CT scan image. But this kind finding is difficult for the radiologist to interpret and to differentiate whether there is a true thickening of the sigmoid colon from the CT scan image.
  I had a colonscopy done friday and they found ulcers and a black place on part of my colon which they done a biopsy on and it came back as only inflamed part of colon how serious is that?They put me on some medication asacol I`ve been taking it for about 3 days now my stomach pains are doing a little better but my bloating and gas pains are the same and now have been having a little rectal pain the last few daysany information would be greatly appreciated on how serious that condition is and any helpful hints on what to do and hints on what I can do to help get rid of this gas pressureThanks Timothy Kerr: The thickened wall and narrowed lumen of distal sigmoid colon on your CT scan most like represent the UN-distended normal sigmoid colon. But given your chronic constipation and chronic abdominal pain , you should consider undergoing a lower GI work up with flexible sigmoidoscopy and barium enema or colonoscopy to confirm that there is no colonic problem.
  : This information is presented for educational purpose only.  Always consult your doctor for specific medical questions.
  : HFHSM.D.-jg
  : *keywords: colon, CT scan
  : 0.3
__________
Dear Timothy kerr,
The ulcers in your colon could indicate several possible diagnoses.  The use of Asacol suggests that your physicians believe that you have inflammatory bowel disease, a group of conditions of unknown cause that are associated with infla,,ationof various regions of the gastrointestinal tract.  Crohn's disease involves the entire wall of the colon whereas ulcerative colitis involves only the inner lining.  It is possible, however, that your symptoms are not related to the cp;pmic findings.  Only time will tell whether there is inflammatory bowel disease. At the present I would continue the prescribed medicationa but also use supplemental fiber in an attempt to reduce the pressure sensation.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: inflammattory bowel disease
0.2