Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
STABBING BACK PAIN AFTER EATING

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

STABBING BACK PAIN AFTER EATING

I AM UNABLE TO EAT BLAND OR OTHER FOODS WITHOUT A STABBING PAIN IN MY UPPER LEFT BACK (BREAST LEVEL).  THE PAIN RADIATES FROM UNDER THE LEFT BREAST THRU TO THE BACK.  IT HAPPENS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER EATING.  IT FEELS LIKE A KNIFE STABBING PAIN.  I AM AFRAID TO EAT.  I AM 44 YRS OLD, AND IN GOOD HEALTH.  I COULD STAND TO LOSE A FEW POUNDS.  I AM FEMALE.  PLEASE ADVISE.
Pain radiating to the back may be suggestive of a peptic ulcer.  Other causes would be inflammation of the lining of the esophagus, stomach or small intestine.  To evaluate this an upper endoscopy or upper GI series can be considered.

I would also consider pancreatitis or gall bladder pain.  This can be evaluated by liver function tests, a serum amylase and lipase test, and a gall bladder ultrasound.  

I would discuss these tests with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
it could be many things, from an ulcer or esophageal problem to gallbladder problems, etc. It sounds like you need to see your doctor. It might well be that seeing a gastroenterologist would be needed, with upper endoscopy a likely recommendation (looking down your esophagus and stomach with a flexible scope.)
hello
I had similar pains the other night- almost passed out it was so bad- felt like a knife from the middle of my chest to my back-
went to the ER- the doc suspected peptic ulcer-
they also thought it to be a possible stone stuck in a duct- (gallstone)
My ultrasound was negative for stones- so I have to follow up w/ my GI- I'm going to ask him to test me for Duodenal ulcers.
you should get an ultrasound for stones and/or an upper GI to see if you have an ulcer-
good luck
I have the same thing and have had it for a over 3 years.
It hurts after I eat and longer. The muscles in my upper chest and back now spasm in pain frequently.

STATS: white 43 female, 25lbs overweight, good health, exerciser

MY TESTS....

1. MRI
2. Ultra sound (one tiny stone in gallbladder) so...
2. Gallbladder removed----didn't relieve the pain
4. Ultrasounded after gallbladder removal
SO vegasvic...what did you do to get rid of the pains?
Please take down my email and get back to me if you find out anything that helps.
A related discussion, pain after eating was started.
A related discussion, misinterpreting was started.
A related discussion, upper back pain was started.