Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
STABBING BACK PAIN AFTER EATING

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

STABBING BACK PAIN AFTER EATING

I AM UNABLE TO EAT BLAND OR OTHER FOODS WITHOUT A STABBING PAIN IN MY UPPER LEFT BACK (BREAST LEVEL).  THE PAIN RADIATES FROM UNDER THE LEFT BREAST THRU TO THE BACK.  IT HAPPENS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER EATING.  IT FEELS LIKE A KNIFE STABBING PAIN.  I AM AFRAID TO EAT.  I AM 44 YRS OLD, AND IN GOOD HEALTH.  I COULD STAND TO LOSE A FEW POUNDS.  I AM FEMALE.  PLEASE ADVISE.
Pain radiating to the back may be suggestive of a peptic ulcer.  Other causes would be inflammation of the lining of the esophagus, stomach or small intestine.  To evaluate this an upper endoscopy or upper GI series can be considered.

I would also consider pancreatitis or gall bladder pain.  This can be evaluated by liver function tests, a serum amylase and lipase test, and a gall bladder ultrasound.  

I would discuss these tests with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Avatar n tn
it could be many things, from an ulcer or esophageal problem to gallbladder problems, etc. It sounds like you need to see your doctor. It might well be that seeing a gastroenterologist would be needed, with upper endoscopy a likely recommendation (looking down your esophagus and stomach with a flexible scope.)
Avatar n tn
hello
I had similar pains the other night- almost passed out it was so bad- felt like a knife from the middle of my chest to my back-
went to the ER- the doc suspected peptic ulcer-
they also thought it to be a possible stone stuck in a duct- (gallstone)
My ultrasound was negative for stones- so I have to follow up w/ my GI- I'm going to ask him to test me for Duodenal ulcers.
you should get an ultrasound for stones and/or an upper GI to see if you have an ulcer-
good luck
Avatar n tn
I have the same thing and have had it for a over 3 years.
It hurts after I eat and longer. The muscles in my upper chest and back now spasm in pain frequently.

STATS: white 43 female, 25lbs overweight, good health, exerciser

MY TESTS....

1. MRI
2. Ultra sound (one tiny stone in gallbladder) so...
2. Gallbladder removed----didn't relieve the pain
4. Ultrasounded after gallbladder removal
Avatar n tn
SO vegasvic...what did you do to get rid of the pains?
Avatar n tn
Please take down my email and get back to me if you find out anything that helps.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, pain after eating was started.
A related discussion, misinterpreting was started.
A related discussion, upper back pain was started.