Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
STOMACH SPASMS AND BELCHING

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

STOMACH SPASMS AND BELCHING

Hello

I am a 40 year old woman with some odd symptoms that I can't even find on the internet.  
For the past 2 weeks, my stomach, just below my left rib and toward the sternum, is spasming.  And I bring up soft air,not loud belching, but very softly air comes up frequently through the day.  These symptoms are constant regarless of eating or not.
I have had these symptoms before, but it usually goes away in a couple of days and I disregard it because I do not have pain or bloating.  Just an annoying constant movement of my stomach.

I saw my doctor and he did not run any tests and chalked it up to anxiety and gave me a prescription for Bentyl, which I did not fill.  I don't want to mask my symptoms, I want to know what's wrong and fix it.  I know it's not anxiety, these symptoms are very real and would have been gone by now if it were from nerves. I am very concerned and wish to know if you feel I should see a Gastroenterologist soon.  

The belching and spasms have been present for the past 3 or 4 years, but like I said.  It came and went quickly and I attributed it to something I ate.  I have been eating very lite and healthy foods for the past week now, to see it that would help and it has not.  Is H.Pylori possible?  Ulcer?  Wouldn't I have pain?  

Thankyou for your help.
LCP
All of the possibilities you mentioned can be considered - including ulcers, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, or GERD.  H Pylori is certainly possible - and can be tested via a simple blood test.  I would also consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy (the latter being the more comprehensive test) - which can evaluate for these diseases.  

Discussing these options with your personal physician is recommended.  If the initial tests are negative, you may want to consider an ultrasound to evaluate the liver and gallbladder.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, spasm and 'soft burping' was started.
A related discussion, Breathing/Belching!!!!!!!!!!! was started.
A related discussion, Belching with upper abdomen bloat and spasm was started.