Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Salivating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Salivating

All my life I have suffered from what my Portuguese people called agonia, loosely translated as an agony. I'm a 69 yr old female, in generally good health, only recently diagnosed with HBP controlled with atacand.  Soemtimes but not always, when I eat fruit, greasy foods, even a glass of water, I experience pain at the bra line and around the back.  I have only occasional heartburn but never with these symptoms.  I have chest pain but mostly as described.  What I do experience, and it can wake me in the night, is salivating to the point that the saliva comes pouring out of my mouth.  I have to catch it in a tissue or get up and let it pour into the toilet.  There is no bile.  Sometimes my stomach clenches, like a big bubble needs to come up, and I burp.  I have had some severe nauseau with the salivating on occassion.  Very occasionally, I bring up food.  My mother and brother both suffer from this same thing.  This past week, I had episodes of a lot of belching after eating a beef sandwich, some broccoli salad, and watermelon, in moderate quantities.  I belched for several hours afterward.  The oversalivating has never been diagnosed medically.  One doctor told me that the pain could be esophagitis, hiatal hernia, or gall bladder.  All I know is I wake up, feel sick to my stomach and salivate excessively.  And it is becoming more frequent.  Need to know could this be a liver ailment?  What is a fatty liver, and what is symptomatic of that condition.  Thanks for your input.
I agree with Erin that the excessive salivating may be due to GERD.  Other possibilities for your discomfort would be an ulcer, inflammation of the esophagus or stomach, or a mass.  

Given the fact you are over the age of 50, I would consider an upper endoscopy for the most comprehensive workup.  I would also consider being tested for a bacteria called H Pylori, which is associated with ulcers or inflammation.  If positive, this can be treated with antibiotics.  

If the upper endoscopy is not revealing, a 24-hr pH study can be done to further elucidate whether GERD is present or not.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
It is very possible you are suffering from acid reflux disease.  Although most people describe heartburn, it is very likely yours may not be presenting typically.  Symtoms (symptoms) can include chest pain, excessive belching, excessive saliva production (your bodies way of trying to nuetralize the acid).  Talk to your doctor.  A trial of acid reducers (such as prilosec or prevacid) may be in order.

Erin
GI.PA
It would be helpful to have your gallbladder checked as well.
A related discussion, Excessive Saliva was started.