Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Seeking Answers for PostPartum Digestive Problems
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Seeking Answers for PostPartum Digestive Problems

I am searching for answers in relation to horrible digestive problems I have experienced since 3 months after the birth of my first child (who is now 9 mos. old)

-It started with a small twinge under my right rib 3 months after childbirth (around the time I started weaning from breastfeeding.)

-2 months later I started feeling 'full' with rectal pressure

-1 month after that I started with bad gas and cramps followed by an emptying of my bowels within 20 minutes of waking each morning. This has been going on for over 3 months! I had chronic diarrhea for 2 straight months!

-While I have sporadic diarrhea now, I usually have firmer stools.  My main problem is the constant rectal pressure (like I need to use the restroom) and often pass a small amount of mucus when I try to relieve myself.  This attempt also makes the pressure feel worse after and creates more cramping.

I have been to my PCP, a GI, a colon dr., soon a Gallbladder surgeon and have had ultrasounds, stool samples, blood tests, sigmoidoscopy (all negative) and a HIDA scan (which showed my gallbladder is functioning at 10% - hence the meeting with the surgeon.) I have also tried going dairy free for a month and gluten free for a week.

My GI thinks my symptoms *may* be due to my gallbladder not functioning properly but said it's about a 50% chance they will resolve themselves after my gallbladder is removed.  Seeing how many people experience chronic diarrhea after surgery I am hesitant to have it done.

I personally think it may be hormonal since I have spoken with other females who have experienced the same symptoms - all starting after childbirth.  Plus, we experience bad ovulation cramping mid cycle and back and front cramping which correlates to gas/bowel movements the week prior to menstruation.  

I am getting so frustrated, constantly feel uncomfortable and don't want to feel like this for the rest of my life.  I hope someone may be able to help me find answers and a possible solution.

Thank you in advance!