Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Sever Lower Abdominal Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Sever Lower Abdominal Pain

Hi, i am 27 years old and I have been experiencing severe pain in my lower left abdominal area, this I noticed happens after I have eaten some type of red meat, the pain continues around to the front of my lower abdomin (abdomen) and is followed by sever diareha. I have battled with constipation my whole life, I have been adding more fiber to my diet also to help with this.  I have not seen a doctor about this condition as of yet but plan to. I talked to a reletive about this who has diverticulites and she says it sound like the symtoms (symptoms) are the same as hers, but she has never heard of red meat causing the pains. I have since quit eating red meats and no longer get the pains, I would appreciate any answers or help you could provide.
  Thank you
  Crysta
__________________
Dear Crysta:
It is very rare for a person of your age to have diverticulitis.  The left lower abdominal that you describe is not specific for diverticulitis, either. In general terms, there are a number of causes of the pain that you report: ovarian cyst, endometriosis, passage of a kidney stone and colitis (inflammation of the colon).  
I am not aware of reports that eating red meat causes severe left lower abdominal pain.  The abdominal pain and diarrhea may represent irritable bowel syndrome although an infectious diarrhea, possibly caused by bacteria-contaminated red meat, can not be excluded.  
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-jg
*keywords: abdominal pain, diarrhea
0.2