Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Severe Nausea/abdominal pain/ diarrhea

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Severe Nausea/abdominal pain/ diarrhea

I have had severe nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea for about 2 months now.  Some days are not so bad and some days it is unbearable.  I have had numerous tests including blood work, ct scan and ultrasound.  My doctor says that everything is normal.  This is not in my head.  These symptoms are real.  The nausea gets to be pretty bad at times but i never vomit.  The pain is in the upper center of my abdomen and is somewhat dull but constant. It is also unbearable at times.  My stools are real loose and are always a greenish yellow color.  When i eat I usually have to go to the bathroom within 10 minutes.  This has become a real inconvenience to me.  Do you have any advice as to what this could be and where I should go from here?  I am tired of being sick all of the time.  I am only 32 years old and I want to be normal again.  Thanks in advance for your advice.
____________
Dear Robin,
The first step in the evaluation of your symptoms is to exclude strucutral abnormalities of the gastrointestinal tract.  This can be done by ordering a barium enema and an upper Gi and small intestine barium study.  IF these tests are normal, then your doctor should look for evidence of gastrointestinal dysmotility.  A radioisotope gastric emptying study will exclude gastroparesis as a cause for symptoms.  Although, you do not provide symptoms suggestive of pancreatic disease  and the CT scan was normal, one must always consider pancreatic pathology.  An ERCP may be needed towards this end.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea
0.2

A related discussion, EGD was started.