Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Severe Stomach and regurgitation Problems

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have had some peculiar symptoms that began about 7 years ago and have become prgressively worse.  My symtoms (symptoms) come and go with about a week or two on and a week off.  When I am feeling poorly all of the joints (shoulder, neck, jaw, wrist, knuckles, hip, knee and ankle) on my right side only, hurt and pop and grind.  I have dull pain in my abdomenand when I press on my intestines it makes a "squirting" noise.  I have a general feeling of pressure in my eye, neck, face and behind/inside my ear(right side only). At first I would burp a lot, which would relieve the pressure somewhat.  About a year ago the burping turned into "regurgitation."  Now I regurgitate food a liquid contantly troughout the day (enough to fill up a couple of styrofoam coffee cups at work each day.  The regurgitation contains chunks of food and whatever I drank, but does not taste like bile - it feels like food is stuck in my throat causing pressure, and if I throw up enough, the pressure is somewhat relieved.  Recently, I have been awakened in the night by the pain in my stomach/intestines.  I have recently started drinking a lot of prune juice which me lots of diarheria and gas, but also seems to relive the pressure a bit.  I have been to several doctors but tests (endoscopy, full physical) have been normal, except for the discovery that I have Non-Alcoholic Steato Hepititis (hepatitis).  When I am having my symtoms (symptoms) i feel very spacey/cloudy and clumsy on my right side, sometimes tripping over my right foot.  I keep hoping this will go away but it just keeps getting worse.  Please help!  Thank you, Russell
Regarding the regurgitating food, you may want to consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy.  GERD would be the obvious cause and can be evaluated with these tests.  You may also want to consider inflammation of the esophagus or colon, esophageal motility disorders or an ulcer.  If those tests are negative, you may want to consider a gastric emptying scan to rule out delayed gastric emptying.  These options can be discussed with your personal physician.  

Regarding the facial pressure - any type of chronic sinusitis or allergic symptoms (rhinitis) can cause pressure.  Tests to evaluate this would be a sinus plain film or sinus CT scan.  A referral to an ENT physician would be helpful.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I too have regurgitation from 2 to 6 hours after a meal(I take walks with my girlfriend after meals and vomit regurgitate/vomit numerous times).  It generally happens at night.  This usually leads to a night with nausea, abdominal distress(pressure, burning), and awakenings, leaving me feeling worse in the morning than if I had no sleep.  All my discomfort is from the naval up.  I've had an endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy(don't know why, never complained of lower bowel problems).  I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and dysfunctional lower esophegeal sphincter.  Was told neither require attention, just take some protonix.  Still dealing with worsening symptoms, lately nausea and extreme fatigue in the morning, and the regurgitation.  Have a new appointment Dec. 15, and don't want to miss this opportunity to try to get the debilitating nature of my problem over to the doctor.  I feel they just want to deflect my issues to save $$$.  What additional tests would you recommend.
Thanks, Steve
A related discussion, Stomach regurgetaion was started.
A related discussion, I have a regurgitation problem! was started.
A related discussion, Eosinophilic Esophagitis was started.