Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Severe pain approx. 2 hours after eating? Anyone else?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe pain approx. 2 hours after eating? Anyone else?

Hi.  I have severe pain after eating (regardless of what I eat) that occurs approx. 2 hours later.  It feels sorta like "hunger pain".  It is real acidic and burning too.  I get really nauseous from it and often belch and/or dry heave.  Anybody else experience this?

FYI-I had my gallbladder removed last April and had an Endocinch this past October.

I am on Protonix (plus I eat Tums constantly) now and am scheduled for a gastric emptying study after the holidays.

Thanks, Melissa
Related Discussions
2 Comments
Blank
I think the gastric empyting test is a good idea, your symptoms sound like those that come with gastroparesis, or delayed stomach emptying. In the meantime, try a few things; eat a low fat, low fiber diet, which you will find to be mostly carbs. Avoid whole grains, like oatmeal, etc, and nuts, popcorn, raw fruits and veggies, and foods high in fat. These all slow or impede the digestive process for those with stomach motility disorders. Also, eat smaller amounts more frequently, and try to elevate your head at night. Hope this helps. I have this disorder, and there are meds that can help, but it would be premature at this time to start taking anything. Post again with your result. Good luck.
Blank
Read up on sphincter of oddi dysfunction at:

http://hopkins-gi.org/pages/latin/templates/?pg=disease5&organ=3&disease=12&lang_id=1

I get an excruciating epigastric ==> RUQ pain, feeling exactly as you describe it (hunger pain, burning) about 2-3 hours after lunch and dinner.  I had all the tests, including an MRCP but not an ERCP, and they have found nothing. I have failed 2 PPIs and an H2 blocker.

Remarkably, and thankfully, my pain goes away within a minute or so of drinking a large glass of water or eating. Somehow, that relaxes the SO.

The pain is so bad that if it didn't abate I would have to go to the ER immediately.

Good luck finding what's right for you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now