Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Shaking After Eating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Shaking After Eating

The last two months, I have had this situation that every time I eat I end up with these small tremors that I can feel from my stomach up to the back of my neck.  I have had lots of bloodwork, and a CT scan of the abdominal area, all were negative.  I have an upper GI scheduled for this week, but would like some things to consider.  My doctor seems to think it is anxiety, but it does happen everytime I eat.  I have had stomach issues the last few months, with lots of gas and pressure for a few hours after eating.  This mainly occurs when I have items such as soft drinks. I am worried about the small tremors as I seem to feel them often and they are very annoying, although not painful.  I do also seem to have an acidity/bitter taste in my mouth periodically.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this?  I do not have constant heartburn, but more stomach bloating after eating.
Certainly anxiety can cause the symptoms - but before attributing it to this, you want to ensure it isn't anything more serious.  

An upper GI series is a good start.  Other things to consider would be an upper endoscopy - which is the more comprehensive test.  The bitter taste in the mouth is most commonly attributed to GERD, which can be seen during the upper GI series.  The definitive test for GERD would be the 24-hr pH study, which can be performed along with an esophageal motility study to evaluate for dysmotility disorders.

A more specialized test would be a gastric emptying scan, which would evaluate for delayed gastric emptying.  

I would discuss these options with your personal physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
acid reflux .
chew on some antiacid tablets and see if it makes a difference.
Antacids do help, but I have never had acid reflux before two months ago.  Any idea what could be causing the underlying problem?  Are small tremors/shaking common with acid reflux?
tremors and shaking is not common with acid reflux.
sounds like a possible blood sugar issue
soft drinks,fatty food,fried food,nuts,heavy cream,coffee etc are food to avoid if you have stomach problem.
I will guess that the tremors are the natural peristalic flow in reflux.  This can include gas with the movement.  For some reason your gi tract is not moving as it should.  You mention drinking pop and that is a huge red flag.  I could go into detail about fiber and the such but all the info needed is very well prepared at www.mercola.com.  I love that site and it has helped my family and friends so much.  No matter the diagnosis, the underlying problem is more than likely diet related.