Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Sharp pain in lower right side during orgasm

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

About a month ago, during orgasm, not during intercourse, I experienced a sharp shooting pain in my lower right side. I have never experienced anything like this before. I thought, perhaps, it was just a quirk. I am 61 years old, in good health generally, but have gain about 10 pouns in the last few months. I went to an internist who diagnosed it as a hernia, and told me to keep an eye on how things went, and if it got worse ( that is, experienced it other than as stated above) to contact her. Well, it did progress into a milder pain around the navel area. I also have experienced the sharp knife like pain, but not to the degree as during orgasm. I called  the internist and told her the situation, and she suggested going to a surgeon. Operating on the theory that if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail, I went to see another internist. She said she saw no signs of a hernia, and suggested all sorts of testing including a CT scan. Well, I have to pay out of pocket for everything, and am afraid it will cost me a fortune to maybe get at the cause of this symptom. I am in the Durham/ Chapel Hill area, and one of the internists is with Duke and the other with UNC---both quite reputable places.
I would think that the origin of the pain is unusual and bizarre enough, that others might have expereinced the same problem. I do not know where to go next with this problem, so thought I would try this site!  Thank you for any light you can shed on this most "quirky" problem!
There can be various causes of right lower quadrant pain.  This can include a hernia or muscle strain - which can certainly be exacerbated during orgasm.  GI causes includes appendicitis, irritable bowel disease, or inflammatory bowel disease.

I agree with the CT scan being a reasonable first test.  This can evaluate for appendicitis as well as a hernia.  If negative, other tests to consider can be a colonoscopy or an upper GI series with a small bowel series - which can evaluate for inflammatory bowel disease.  If all the tests are negative, then a muscle strain or irritable bowel disease can be considered.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
My sister had this exact pain and it was caused from a cyst on her overies...I'm sure she had an ultrasound that found the cyst.
Thanks for the feedback.
Who diagnosed your sister's problem.How was it diagnosed?
That was my original thought, but apparently when you are past menopause, one's ovaries can not be felt on examination. That is what I was told by the second internist who I requested that she do an exam of my ovaries.
I know she told her Dr. ( I believe it was her PCP) of the symptom and he sent her for an ultrasound..It's been awhile but I'm sure she didn't have surgery...I can't remember if they some how drained it or if they just waited and watched it awhile but I know it went away and so did her symptoms.
I had a cyst on my ovary about 15 years ago. My pain was almost constant, day and night. Along with the stabbing pain I had bleeding (of course I was pre-menopausal). After I was diagnosed my doctor gave me a prescription (I
Try to remember the medication - my daughter in FL is going through the same thing and I'd like her to go back to doc to get the med to break up the cyst. She was in the ER for 8 hours and all they gave her was pain meds. Thanks.
Thank you for your response. I neglected to state that I had an apendectomoy 30 years ago, so that is not the problem. I have been advised by friends to see an ob/gyn as it could be a problem related to ovaries...cysts or polyps....as suggested also in some of the messages posted. My question, really, is that one doctor was certain it was a hernia; the other not so certain. I was also told that hernias do not always show up on CT scans. So, in seeking a personal physician, who do I go to?  Thanks, again.
Qurky
About 5 years into my marriage I experienced a sharp shooting pain in my lower right side during orgasm. The pain was quite intense and actually seemed to pulsate in rhythm with my orgasm. The next couple of times we had intercourse, the same thing happened, so I went to my OB-GYN for a pelvic exam. After the examination he said it was quite possible that in the week or two before the pain hit that first time, that my husband could have actually bumped and bruised my right ovary during intercourse. He said that could be the cause of the sharp pulsating pain that would begin and end with the orgasm. His advice was to abstain from intercourse for a time(4-6 wks?), to give the ovary time to heal. We abstained for about 2 weeks and the pain never hit again. That was a little over 23 years ago.