Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Should I get my gallbladder removed?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Should I get my gallbladder removed?

I have one small gallstone which was identified by an ultrasound scan last October.  I had been experiencing very mild pain, but no other symptoms.  However, I was referred to a surgeon and he recommended that I have my gall bladder removed laparoscopically.

Apart from that one mild attack, I have had no further symptoms.  I very occasionally felt a very mild twinge perhaps once a week, but even this seems to have stopped recently.  There is no exacerbation of the pain from eating fatty foods whatsoever.

I am due to have my gall bladder removed in a week's time.  I feel it is unnecessary as, of course, I have no symptoms!  My problem is that I plan to get pregnant later on this year and I am aware that hormones can encourage a flare up.  I do not want to put myself under any risk while pregnant, particularly as I already have one disabled child and I don't want to do anything that might cause any risk to a future baby.

Could someone tell me what the likelihood of such a mildly affected gallbladder flaring up to the point of needing emergency surgery during pregnancy is?  Is there any evidence of gallbladder surgery causing damage to the unborn child during pregnancy?

I am 36 and in good health. I am about 10 pounds overweight, but otherwise very well.

I would be very grateful for any opinions, thank you.

Jane from UK
Generally, one would want to avoid surgery during pregnancy.  There is no definitive way to predict when a gallbladder attack can occur.  

In general, if there are no symptoms, surgery can be elective.  However, if your physician feels that you are at risk for a gallbladder attack, removal of the gallbladder can be considered.  

I would discuss your concerns with your personal physician, or in conjunction with another surgical opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
i had my goldbladder removed.listen your pain is mild now! your luckyyyyy!!! its possible it can get alot worse.when i got the pain really bad i was throwing up all night!!! the pain when it get severe ohhh boyy is it severe!!! my advice get it removed ..u have no real bad pain now.but especiallyyy if u plan on having a baby.YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET THAT HORRIBLEEE PAIN DURING YOUR PREGNANCY!!!! thats my advice..good luck!!!
do your research, i had my gallbaldder removed 6 years ago, i wish i could have it back.  GOD did not make a mistake, you need it.  do your research very well.

Hi, Iam 43 years old and for the last two months I have been experiencing upper abdominal pain mostly on the right however it has at times radiated to my left side. I also have pain between my shoulder blades and mostly my right shoulder blade. I also experience nausea and a lot of gas and indigestion. I have had the following test done. EGD showed mild gastritis they first treated me with Aciphex and when I continued to have symptons that seemed to get worse my GI Doctor ordered a abdominal sono  and CT OF THE ABDOMEN which were negative. I had a HIDA scan done a few weeks ago which was e fraction of 32%. My doctor said to go on a low fat diet. I had been watching what I have been eating but I still have symptons. My question is should I go see a general surgeon. Will they remove a gallbladder with a result of 32%......

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help