Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Size of Hiatal Hernia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Size of Hiatal Hernia

I have known for over two years that I had a hiatal hernia but found out after another endoscopy/dilitation yesterday that the hernia is 1 to 1 1/2 inches.  My doctor didn't say whether that was small, large, etc. so I'm just curious if anyone can answer that for me.  I'm assuming it's small because I don't have to follow up with him for 30 days and he didn't indicate any concerns to my husband.

Thanks in advance!
I have a hiatus hernia as well, but it's 3 cm. Do you have any symptoms?  I have had chronic reflux for a year, which I know have relatively controlled, meaning it's not getting worse, but it's there every day, every hour.

What about you?

Andy
Mine is 5cm. I take 80ml of Prelosec plus 40mg Pepcid. But I still have chest pains and heartburn. I try to eat only what I all-ready know doesn
Andy,

My symptoms are stomach pain (high, below the sternum), diffculty swallowing, and chest pain.  I don't really get bad heartburn.

On Friday, 12/20, my esophagus was dilated due to a stricture and I was told the size of the hernia (which I wasn't told three years ago after the endoscopy).  The nurse told me yesterday that it was average size.  

Jodi
The important thing is if you can control the reflux with meds or if you need the Nissan Fundo to control the reflux.I had what my surgeaon considered a small hernia but developed Barretts esophogas which is a serious condition anyway. I do not recall that the issue of size even came up,but the stomach acid did.You know the old saying "size doesnt matter" Best of luck.
A related discussion, tight band under rib cage was started.
Has anyone had an open hital hernia repair I'm sacred I was told I need one my throat is very sore burns and have bad inflammation in the esophagus  I need advise I alread had the surgery once 10 years ago I need one again but this time I have to have the open cut one