Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Slight pain in chest, excessive burping, excessive phlegm

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

In July of 2001 I developed allergies. I still don't know what my triggers are, but my symptoms are post-nasal drip, congestion, excessive phlegm and eventually an infection of some kind in my throat.  I was given Allegra-D and it seemed to work ok. Now, I had another bout of the same symptoms, but the excessive phlegm was worse and I was spitting out a lot of phlegm.  I did not think about this before, but I think its the mucuous lining my esophogus, because I have developed some new symptoms.  I began to spit a bit of blood with my phlegm. I now have a soar, slightly burning feeling in my chest.  I am burping a lot.  I feel like there is an after-taste of acid in my mouth.  I urinate frequently and have small stools with mucous in them.  I also have sore lump in my throat. Today, I woke up with a black tongue.  Is it bile?  Is acid coming from my stomach?  My Dr. gave me Claritin D and Nasacort--I am no longer congested..nor do I have excessive phlegm, but I do have all these new gastro related symptoms.  Could my sinus induced phlegm problems have promoted these new gastro problems?  What should I do?  what do you recommend.  Sorry, its so long.
Go to the Helicobacter Pylori Foundation website. It is run by Dr. Barry Marshall. Lots of info on your situation. Sound like you are experiencing GERD. Or, perhaps a side effect of your meds.  As for the blood in the phlegm, is there blood when you blow your nose? That would explain the blood. Hope you find something to help you.
Your symptoms sound a lot like mine, which also began in July, 2001. I was in the hospital 2 weeks with a tube in my stomach, because I had what was called an "acute viral syndrome" that paralyzed my GI system. I have since seen 2 gastroenterologists, an ear, nose and throat specialist and a bunch of other specialists. The consensus is that I have acid reflux that is causing all these symptoms. I have done a lot of reading on reflux and have found out that many symptoms that are diagnosed as allergy are actually caused by reflux, even sinus infections, so it might be worth your while to check that possibility. Go to websites under "voice disorders" for more info.