Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Slow Digestion?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Slow Digestion?

Thank you for responding to my question.

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with GERD and a small hiatus hernia.  I take 10 mg of Pariat once per day.  I also am on Prozac and Synthroid for depression and slow throid.  I have been suffering from cronic (chronic) stomach problems and was hoping you could help me figure out what's next.

I am scheduled for an upper GI in 2 weeks, but I'm wondering what could possibly be causing my continue discomfort and bowel problems.  I am approx 100lb overweight, have mild high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  Have recently had a stress test and my heart looks OK.  I still have pain in my chest in 2 different areas.  One is where the hernia is and about 2 inches higher in the esophagus.  I have problems swallowing sometimes and still have some reflux.  I have a third pain, which is not sharp, but cronic (chronic), about 1 inch up from my navel in the middle of my abdomin (abdomen).  

I was wondering if these problems could affect my bowels?  I have regular BM, but mostly they are very soft, light brown (almost yellowish) and are narrow.  Occasionally I have a regular BM, but generally my stool and narrow and light coloured.

I eat a diet that is high in fibre (5-6 fresh fruits/veggies per day, protein 2 X - mostly chicken, whole wheat bread).  I eat like this for 6/7 days per week.  Occasionally I eat some foods that I probably shouldn't, but only about once per week.  I've been trying to eat properly for the past year without dieting.  I get mild exercise, walking about 30 minutes per day.  I've lost about 30 lbs in the last year doing this.  I know that isn't much, but I've been a yoyo dieter for years and have given that up and just want to get healthy, even if it's slowly.  

I will be 50 this year and I realize that I should have done this long ago, but I am seriously trying now.

Can you help me understand if I should be concerned about my bowels or what I might expect as a possible explanation for my pain?

Thank you for your help!!!