Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Small Bowel Follow Through

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Small Bowel Follow Through

Good Morning, quick backround, Have had extensive work-up. Never able to complete the Barium Enema due to pain upon baruim entrance.  I'm 31 years old, female, 2 c-section (95 and 99) Have Endometriosis (only in abdominal wall) discovered during abdominal surgery for suspected hernia in 2000.  (1998 had laparoscopy).

I recollect getting extreme diarrhea and assumed kidney infection following laparoscopy in 98.  I conceived after secondary infertility within 2 cycles following the laparoscopy.  I also recall taking an antibiotic (Bactrim?) following lap for sus. kidney infection.  Since taking that and throughout that pregnancy I have had severe diarhea (diarrhea).  I was told I had Cholastitis (sp?) of Pregnancy.  Stools are loose, watery at times, and pale (yellow) always.  It's been years and several tests, original GI diagnosed IBS (not of exclusion).  

Recently with a host of other problems (always increased alkaline phos) I had a CT scan which showed lesions in the abdominal wall (aspirated cysts/ no sign of infection) and also showed thickened area of bowel.  I completed a small bowel follow through a week ago and was told may cause constipation and take up to four hours to complete.  My questions are what, if any are the speculation on barium passing through the entire small bowel within the first 20 minutes as well as Immediate diarrhea and continuous.  I had no problem releasing the barium completely at home within the first day.  Stools are loose and back to the typical yellow.
Also I take Hydrocodone.apap 10/500, Aspirin, Protonix and Effexor XR daily
Jess, I too am a 31 year old female and (if I'm understanding your question correctly) am experiencing a similar problem.  Am I correct in deducing that your Upper GI with small bowel follow through was complete in 20 minutes?  Mine lasted between 25 and 30 minutes and everyone was shocked.  Previous to a bout of terrible diarrhea in October, my metabolism was extremely slow.  Now, everything is going right through me.  My doctors are stumped and I'm being checked for parasites one more time.  I was also checked for food poisoning, which came back negative.  I, of course, am scared to death because I know this is not normal.  Let me know if you find out anything else.
Hi Kathy, I have an appt today with the Dr that ordered the test (general surgeon).  I'll let you know what happened.  I've done all the stool sample in the past and nothing was ever found.  Cheer up, things will get better.  I wish the pain would go away and I sure hope to get some answers today!
Thanks for the reply
Jessica