Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Spasms :(

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Spasms :(

I was diagnosed wtih IBS about 7 years ago I also have anxiety and panic disorder which reeks havoc on my stomach.  Throughout this 7 years at night about 30 minutes after i fall asleep i wake up in like this panic mode with my stomach spasming like crazy and it feels like my heart is beating in my stomach.  Here lately this happens almost every night.  I lay there fall to sleep and 15 min later feel out of breath the spasms and the heartbeat feeling in my stomach.  I have gone to the dr but they said since i am a worrier, stress makes all sorts of spasms worse etc.  I think them knowing i have panic disorder makes them think its all in my head. Last night it happened yet again and I try to pinch myself and hit myself to wake up to get them to stop.  Once i am awake the heartbeat sensation goes away the spasms stop and then i can go to sleep.  The only way to describe the spasm is it feels like someone playing tug of war with my stomach mixed in with the pulse.  I have many stomach troubles constipation being the main one, i went to a colorectal surgeon for my hemorrhoids and fissures and he suggested i have a hysterectomy because i am anemic.  I do have fibroids but i dont think that would have any bearing on stomach spasms.  I am 31 years old.   Never smoked or drank.  I am somewhat overweight.  I did notice if I dont eat after 6 i dont have the spasms as bad and they dont happen every night seems more prevalent to happen at PMS time.  I don't know i am lost here but just know i need some sleep badly and now i am starting to associate sleep with those spasms and am starting to fear it.  Any help you can give me i would appreciate.
Thanks so much!
There are a variety of causes of the feeling "stomach spasm", including ulcers, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, irritable bowel syndrome or GERD.  Certainly stress can exacerbate these symptoms, but should be considered when the organic causes have been ruled out.  I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy (which is the more comprehsive test) for further evaluation.  A blood test for H Pylori - a bacteria associated with inflammation or ulcers  - should also be considered.

Regarding the palpatations, you can consider an event monitor or echocardiogram to ensure that a heart condition isn't the culprit.  A thyroid test should also be considered.  You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
stomach or abdomin (abdomen)??
I am not sure its smack dab in the middle i guess it would be my intestines
are you constipated now?
Yes I am I am always constipated and when i have a bowel movement its always like little balls Too much info I know But I am sure others have had this also.
this may sound off the wall to you, but you may be having pvc's at night that wake you up....it's happened to me and it scares you right awake...talk to your md if this could be a possiblilty...they are benign but trying to fall back to sleep is very difficult.....good luck
What are PVC's?  Thanks so much I will look into it.
Not that you asked me but I am very sympathetic to your situation (I also have 3 children etc..and I am a nurse and worked in cardiology) PVC's stand for premature ventricular contractions or when the "wrong" part of the heart initiates your heartbeat.  They are very common and unless you have many in a row--not a problem but it can feel like your heart is beating out of your chest.  The thing that struck me was that if your anemic enough for your doctor to suggest a hysterectomy, you may be experiencing increased anxiety symptoms secondary to a low blood count.  I am also very anemic and while I used to be able to run 10 miles w/o symptoms my heart will often flutter with no exertion--I know the reason so I don't panic but it is still disconcerting!  I have no idea, of course, if this is what is happening to you or causing your symptoms.  Best of luck to you!
I was reading about the PVS and IBS.  I do have the same symptoms but with loose bowels instead.  This has been since I was a little child.  I remember getting all excited when playing as a child or even while growing up and having to run to the bathroom.  It still to this day, and I am 45 years old, happens.  I have anxiety also and do take buspar for this when needed.  My spasms are like a heartbeat in my stomach.  When I have this I take a little blue pill my doctor gave me.  It is the only thing that stops the pain.  This move around the middle of my belly.  I have blood also but not in the stool.  Just after I wipe.  I am embarrassed to talk about it so bare with me.  As for mommyto3 you are not alone.  I worry alot also and have the hemorrhoids too.  I thought I was the only one with this mess.  Tell me does anyone have fibromyalgia.  I do and have had it for more than 10 years.  They say the fibro aggrevates all the other problems.  Thanks for listening.
Yes i have fibromyalgia also, i have certain spots on my back that if someone barely touches them i have severe pain.  I have alot of neuralgias from the fibro.  About 8 years ago before any of thie started my bite was off and a dentist filed down my teeth on one side and ever since then i developed anxiety and I would swear its related to the TMJ in my jaws.  My fingers go numb at times i suffer from migraines.  I used to be a hairdresser but had to quit because i can no longer lift my arms up high enough to cut hair.  Between anxiety and my stomach my whole life revolves around a toilet and crying.  Its so nice to hear other people with the same issues and I am glad I am not alone.  Thanks and I hope you all feel better soon.
Hi again.  I had the migraines since I was a child.  They stopped when I started to take high blood pressure meds.  I am also on Wellbutrin for the anxiety and depression.  You sound like you are going through the same things.  I also have been reading about Cortisol.  Read about Cushing's Syndrome.  It is really interesting.
I'm sorry you are going thru this.  Panic attacks are real and don't let anyone tell you different.  I had complications after childbirth with a 10lb baby which ripped my sphincter muscle and done alot of nerve damage to the point where i couldn't control bowel movements and and rectal spasms daily with chronic diahria. After numerous surgeries and going out of state my local doctor told me of a new procedure called a Artificial Bowel Sphincter implant. This is a last resort for incontinance but it is helping me so far.  I also started having spasms in my stomach and was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. You might want to research this for the spasms in your stomach.  Mine are bladder spasms and i found a wonderful specialist that has helped me greatly. Hope this helps.