Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Still a hard lump where hernia was after surgery.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My brother in law had hernia surgery 5 weeks ago as an outpatient w/ no hospital overnite stay. (he is currently in jail in Texas) over the following weeks he had fever and severe pain which he consistently complained of, but no doctor followed up on his surgery procedure.  A week ago his stitches ruptured due to infection and the smell smelled like rotten eggs which means it was very infected.  he had to have emergency surgery to rectify the situation.  

he and I want to know due to him feeling something like a hard balloon where his hernia was if the surgeon took out the hernia, or just snipped or tied it to prevent it from going any bigger and was pushed back?  the problem is that he is still dealing with pain.  I want to know if you feel that those doctors are giving him enough attention in dealing with the situation or if my brother in law needs additional help.  He had a hernia in 1988 that they took out and did not leave in.  so what is your medical opinion?  Does it sound like they just push the hernia back in?  After all he still feels a hard lump in the same are as before the first surgery took place.  

Thanks for our help.
This seems like a repeat of the question below.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
Google North Penn Hernia Institute and ask Dr. Goodyear.
He has a discussion forum which he answers daily.