Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stitch like pain on right hand side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stitch like pain on right hand side

I'm a 40yr old male and for the last year and a half I have periodically been getting a stitch like pain on my right side just under the bottom of my ribcage. I went to get checked up at the time and my doctor couldn't diagnose anything.wrong. I had been under a great deal of stress with work and was also becoming bloated after eating, often needing to go to the toilet soon after. I was also passing a lot of mucus on its own and when I broke wind. I ended up getting a CT scan and MRI scan and they found a small ulcer at the base of my bowel. This was treated and the mucus symptoms and bloating after food went away. Great...However I am still getting this dull pain under my ribcage - it comes and it goes. I know sometimes when I get stressed it gets worse but it remains often after the stress episode has ended. I also sometimes get a burning chest like pain after eating that lasts for 30 minutes or so and occassionallly I have had night chills, but not often. The stitch like pain does not happen when I am in bed and only starts after I am up in the morning. Can you please give me any thoughts as to what this might be?    
The CT and MRI scan would give a comprehensive evaluation of the abdomen, as well as its organs.

You can consider other possibilities, including, upper GI conditions like ulcers or inflammation.  Blood tests can be done to exclude celiac disease and sending off the stool can also be considered to evaluate for malabsorption.

A colonoscopy can be done to look for inflammatory bowel disease.

If the tests remain negative, you can consider irritable bowel syndrome and discuss possible treatment options with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd