Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach Cancer?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stomach Cancer?

I'm a male 38 years old in good health. I was taking Feldene for a knee injury for about 3 months and one day I began to have dyspepsia.  It was constant for about 3 weeks so I went to the doctor.  She tested me for H Pylori and Blood in the stool, which both came back negative.  She prescribed Nexium and no coffee, tea or soft drinks.  Over the next three weeks I have began to improve but not quite back to normal.  I'm now worried that since this won't clear up it might be stomach cancer or serious. I have has a few days with no discomfort at all and then some days it comes back.  I had a stomach endoscopy in late 2000 that came back as non ulcer dyspepsia and no other findings. My appetite is still great and I feel fine overall. Just the chronic dyspepsia that is slowly improving.

1. Could gastritis take this long to completely heal?

2. Would stomach cancer be unlikely due to the clean scope 5 years ago.
To answer your questions:
1) Depending on the cause, it may take several weeks to months for gastritis to resolve.

2) A negative endoscopy in 2000 would make stomach cancer unlikely.  However, to be sure, repeating the endoscopy, or obtaining an upper GI series can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
you have to add to your no coffee,tea or soft drink list with chocolate,peppermint,tomato,tomato based product,dairy ,spicy food,greasy food and fat.
Anyone know why if you had an endoscopy 6 years ago that makes stomach cancer unlikely? Does it progress that slowly?