Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach Growl question

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stomach Growl question
For 10 months, I have suffered from a stomach growling/shishing noise that keeps me up the entire night.  It started about a month after taking strong antibiotics for six months for a vaginal bacteria infection (I took metronidazole, clindamycin, floxin, and bactrim).  After about 4 months of a the growling/squishing noise keeping me up maybe once every two weeks, it increased to keeping me up 3, 4, 5 nights per week.  Tried over the counter Tums, Prevacid, etc. but with no relief.  I am not stressed in any way (other than the condition).

Primary care physician thought it might be acid reflux and prescribed omeprazole 20mg.  Seemed to help right away, but then 3 weeks later seemed to stop working and I then suffered from the growling sometimes 24 hours a day, not just at night. Doctor tested me for H Pylori, but blood test came back negative.

It forces me to sleep upright or on my right side, which seems to lessen, but not stop, the growling.  I have gained 9 pounds because eating seems to quiet it for about 15 minutes or so, and I'm desperate for sleep.  

Gastro doc tried other meds like Prevacid, Aciphex and Zegerid, but they too seem to only work for about 3 weeks, then wear off.  Small bowel series revealed nothing.  Upper endoscopy revealed normal esophagus, and some gastritis.  Biopsy negative for cancer.

Other remedies I have tried include acidophilus in case strong antibiotics altered my bacterial levels, and fiber supplements, but these did not help.

Other drugs I take are clarinex and birth control pills (ortho novum).

Please advise me what could possibly be causing the growling that I haven't already been tested for and, more importantly, HOW TO STOP IT.  I'm desperate as the loss of sleep is quite detrimental.
The upper endoscopy is a very comprehensive test of the stomach and would rule out many of the major causes for the symptoms.

Imaging the upper abdomen with an ultrasound and/or CT scan can evaluate the liver, gallbladder or pancreas.

More specialized tests, including a 24-hr pH study looking for GERD or a gastric emptying scan evaluating for gastroparesis can also be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Hi my husband has had similiar problems and also feels acidy in the stomach, he now has 1 lemon squeezed into a little water first thing in the morning and this had helped alkalined his body and most of the symptoms have gone.
Lemon juice is a natural antibiotic for bacteria's and when taken becomes alkaline in your stomach therefore getting rid of the acids that have built up, as you are aware we need some acid in our gut to help with digestion of food especially meat, but when you get a build up of acid your whole body suffers, as does your mind (acidic thoughts).
Please try the lemon juice in water for a week and see if it helps and if it does, stay on it for a long as you need or start to feel well again.
Regards Sue (from Australia)  
A related discussion, Stomach growling was started.