Stomach Pain
I have been experience a minor pain on my left side under my rib cage. It has been coming and going for the past two months. I have been diagnosed with depression which causes me to worry exstensively. I have had other stomach problems in the past, but the docters couldn't find anything wrong. I also have a history of alcohol abuse (I know, not the smartest thing for a depressed person). I hate to keep going to the doctor everytime there is an ache or pain, I feel like I may over reacting. This pain does not feel like acid or gas. More like something is inflammed. I am concerned that I may have something seriously wrong with me, but don't know if I even have symptoms of anything. There is no fever, occasional loose bowels but not bad, no blood. I also have been going through a lot of life changes lately which have been very stressful. I am on no medication.
Questions, What coluld this pain be and at what point should I be seriously worried?

i have a pain on my right side of stomach about 5 inches up on the right side of belly button
hello i have a heavy feeling up under my left rib
       it feel like a big not in it some time it with catch
        it been there for a while now i havent been to no doctor
i am scard to go but it feel heavy like a rock on it can you tell me some thing about it befor i go to the doctor
i have had stomach achs every day for the past year! i have gone through 3 major tests, but nothing found. i know that something is wrong but i dont know. i worry alot but i am a very happy person! is my stomach achs from stress( school) worrying, ??? please reply
I have experiencing stomach pains for 4 years and it hurts up and down my ribs and lower abdomen my docter keeps telling me its gastrointhrites he gives persciptions for it but nothing helps any now im worried i've got many test done that result to nothing but these are very bad sharp pains. Everyone tells me its my head but its not i know when i have pain. Theres also dizziness and head aches . What could this be?
I am havin side pain under my ribs too. I am a teenager and I don't drink and I am not depressed. I have been through many tests for it and nothing shows up so now I am going to a GI. The pain comes and goes and it has ben here for 7 months now. My parents are leaning towards iritable bowl syndrom even though I don't have problmes with my bowls. Look into that and see if it helps. good luck
Erin, first you need to find a doc who will work with you.  Hope you have a plan that will allow this.  You have to rule out serious stuff so you really need to keep a book on symtoms and location.  A knowlegeable patient keeps the doc honest.  The more you can tell the doc the better he can focus.  Most likely, ruling out some serious problem, you have a fecal impaction that is not allowing your body to use nutrients and then pass them.  But that will tell in your bowel movements.  If regular and well formed then not a fecal impaction.  Pencil like, very gassy, broken up, good chance of fecal impaction.  Couple of tests doc can run..barium enema, colonoscopy. Neither is very uncomfortable. Results tell alot.  A possibility is Chrone's Disease or Diverticulosus.  Get blood work done to look forr infection.  Something to consider at this point.  If you have recently (last year) used any antibiotics you killed all the good stuff in your bowel.  You must start a regimes with Probiotics.  Without the good guys in you belly and bowel your body cannot do its job.  Another consideration is a fungal yeast called Candida.  Most MDs scoff at the idea.  Get Sherry Roger's books (any will do) and learn all you can about candida.  Then you can graduate to William Crook or William Rae.  Massive material about this creature.  You are not alone with this.  Millions of Americans, men and women, suffer exactly the same symtoms.  Please do not let them treat your symtoms.  Make the find the cause.  Good luck.
adweew;wejnemfkmwklem,mew,mrlkwklrklklewjwklejlk
I have similar pains and it could be a number of things.  One thing is for sure cut way back on the alcohol and get to a doctor.  It seems that you may need to actively persue help in other areas and an understanding doctor could really point you in some good directions.  Good  luck.
I have been having bad stomach pains throwing up and now I have a yellow color to my skin. What could this be?
it is probly your liver. My husband just had his fixed. It sounded like your problem.
                          Debbie
My pain is low on left side , more like pressure is this something to worry about/
ihave the same pain under my rib cage on the left side.and also sometimes between my rib cage.
I don't have an answer to your question but I also have been having left side pain and has become worse in the past few years.I fell off a horse about 20 years ago and landed on that side. I went to a chiropractor last year and he said that I may have broken my ribs when I fell and didn't go to the doctor. It hurts from my the middle of my stomach and goes around to my back. When I am sitting the pain is much worse and makes me sick to my stomach.  I have had ulcers in the past but this pain is constant now, more so in my side/back.I am worried also!! Did you ever get an answer?
I HAVE BEEN FEELING STOMACH PAIN FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK NOW AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS FROM.  I HAVE BEEN UNDER A LOT OF STRESS FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS AND I TELL PEOPLE BUT THEY THINK I AM JUST COMPLAINING BUT I KNOW THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.  THE PAIN I FEEL IS HARD TO EXPLAIN IT JUST HURT MOSTLY IN THE CENTER OF MY STOMACH AND I AM BEGINING TO LOSE MY APPETTITE.  I HAVE NO MEDICAL INSURANCE SO THATS WHY I HAVE NOT BEEN SEEN BY A DOCTOR IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU CAN DO PLEASE WRITE BACK...
MY REPLY IS THAT I DONT DRINK ANY ALCAHOL  BUT THE SIMTOM IS SIMILAR TO THIS  PAIN  I HAVE SEEN THREE DOCTORS  I HAVE BEEN TO A COLOSCOPY DONE TO ME  AND MANY TEST THEY FOUND A GOLP SIZE MALIG NANT OR A TOMOR  TO MY UTORUS LEFT SIDE   BUT THREE DOCTORS DINT/ TAKE IT AUT IM ALWAYS IN FAIN  I LOSSMY JOB BECAUSE IM ALWAYS HIDING MY PAIN  PLEASE HELP ME AOT THERE
i have the same symptoms, pain under the left rib cage for over a year.  my blood test show high cholestrol-my ultrasound on my abdomial area showed a 1 inch mass on my liver-the ct scan with/without contrast showed a fat mass on my liver-the upper gi shows negative-yet i am still in pain-the pain used to be occasionally now it is almost constant-i also in the last 2 months have started to burb alot- i do not drink-the area is very tender-the only medication that a i take is birth control and pain pills for cramps-in 3 days i see a surgent- i have know idea what this is-and know one knows-i am 32 years old,i was put on low fat-lkow cholestrol diet 2 months ago-i used to weigh 132lbs.-i know weigh 112lbs.-height=5'2 1/2". i wish someone could tell me what this is too-last week i also found 3 small nodules to my left of the umblical cord.
A lot of people have the same symptoms. I am 32 yrs old and have had the pain for a year.  I have had blood test, a abdominal ultrasound, CT scan without/with contrast, and  a Upper GI. I am now going to a Doctor for surgery in 3 days.  The only thing they can find wrong is High Cholestrol and a fat mass 1" on my liver.  I was put on a diet 2 months ago for low fat and cholestrol.  I have lost 20 lbs since then, I weigh 112 lbs.-5' 2 1/2".  I also have started to burp alot.  I told them I want surgery, because I am sick of the pain.  This will be my 11th operation.  The 2nd in a year.  My appendix, gall bladder, stomach,female organs, kidneys,etc white blood count is all fine-except the pain and I have a fever for 6 months.  Hopefully when I have surgery in the next 2 weeks I will get a answer.
I too experience the same type of pain that you describe.  Mine feels almost like a side ache that is intermittent in nature and hurts from the middle of my sternum some days to under my ribs.  I have been to the doctor before and they found nothing wrong.  I also can
hello i am haveing a problem on my left side some time i can feel a knot that come under it it have a heavy feeling
under it i am also having trouble with my left breasst i have a
problem with my left breast also i have  weakness in my legs and they stay swollening my legs also burn and have a num feeling to them and on my left hand my two last finger stay num to i dont have money to go to the doctor and i cant go so can you tell me a little about this problem
go to the doctor!!!!!  my husband just died from liver disease.  one of his first symptoms was pain un that area.  yours could be nothing, but that is what he also thought......now he's dead
A little guy about 3inches high, holds a flaming torch and stabs me on the inside, in the same place. Under my upper left rib cage, under my left breast. after the stabbing pain, then a constant burning sensation, and pressure. Have had it for about a year now, but has in the last few weeks been getting worse, and more often. almost constant now. thats how I came to this site, and have not seen any answers. I do not want on the doctor roller coaster, and a bunch of invasive tests. first of all, I have no insurance and am a single mom of 4 kids, and second of all, I have zero faith in medical doctors. I wish I could find a good homeopathic physician. After reading all the comments, and seeing the battery of tests so many have gone through with out any answers,I am really wondering where to go to get an answer. This site has alot of questions, and a couple of lame answers from the docs. Thanks to those who have commented on what they have found out, and I will do the same. So far, I am taking aloe vera gel, and MSM. Enzymes:digezyme: and acidophilus. It seems to help so far. Good luck to you all, and I hope we all find our answers.
Someone I am close to is experiencing the same symptoms. What could this be?
I believe that you all have gastritis.
all of your symptoms are very familuar to me.
you should go to a doctor and hav him prescribe something (?RANIHEXAL?) to lower the acid levels in your stomach and allow the infection to heal.
but if you dont do that, the symptoms only get worse untill it eventually hurts to breath.
trust me, i know :\
not very pleasent, and its even worse to go to umpteen doctors and have them not no whats wrong with you.
but i eventually found out.

good luck all...

feel free to let me know whats happening... :)

becky.***@****
ooops...sorry. That should read "*left*" side of my stomach. Sigh, that's what comes from lack of sleep.
I've been up all night with stomach pain. Right side in my stomach. This was a problem almost 20 years ago and the docs could find nothing wrong. About 2 months or so ago it started back up. I thought it might be related to my use of flonase for chronic sinusitis as it's listed as a side effect. So I discontinued the flonase....That seemed to stop it for a few weeks. When it began years ago it only came on at night. Never once during the day. This past week it's been at any and all times. When it starts the pain lasts for about 10 to 12 hours. Nothing really seems to help relieve it.

What's dpressing is that gastrointestinal disorders are the hardest to correctly diagnose. I have no insurance and I deeply dread getting on that merry-go-round of doctors and testing and knowing that the chances of a correct diagnoses are slim.

My heart goes out to all of you who suffer this kind of pain. And I wish all of us luck in 'fixing' this....and now maybe that my pain is easing off I can get a few hours of sleep.
Hello.I've been having severe stomach pain all day and the only thing i've eaten today is 2 cheese burgers and some chicken.I was wondering if i have food poisoning or not...what do you think?
you please tell me.
the samething happens to me.
I've been taking tagamet (cimetidine)400mgs twice a day and I've cut out red meat and pork. They're very hard to digest as well as cheese. I've been eating more frequent, smaller meals. I was also told to use mylanta. Last night for the first time I had an attack comming on and I was able to stop it!! The stress I've been under is letting up some. Or should I say changing. I can take action now rather than sit and wait. The waiting was killing me. BTW, the 400mgs of tagamet is perscription dosage. As with any med....read the drug interaction precautions etc before using......
I really don't have an answer. I have same symtons. My Dr. claims he doesn't know whats worng.
I have been suffering with the same pain (left side of rib cage), shooting pains across back, regurgitation of food, wind,  breathing problems (leading sometimes to panic attacks) and depression for over 10 years now and I have been for various tests, after a second upper gi-endoscopy I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, in my case this causes the entrance to the stomach to be constantly open and does not shut properly.
This is what was explained to me by my specialist, the pain in the chest (in most cases you could place your finger on the exact same spot) is caused by an inflamed area of the gullet caused by acid being present in the gullet, this also causes the pains felt across the back.  The breathing problems I have been having is also due to acid in the gullet (airways restricting to prevent acid entering lungs).
Since receiving this information I have now managed to control my condition and I no longer suffer panic attacks, when I feel breathing difficulties I take an antacid (currently on Ranitidine 150mg) and the symptoms usually go away within 10 mins, the pain in my chest is still there but I no longer worry about it and this also helps as anxiety can cause your body to produce excess acid thus making it worse.
I am waiting to go for motility and ph tests (14/6/01) and depending on the results I might have to undergo an operation to repair my hiatus.

This is only information relating to my own condition and I would advise anyone with chest pains to see their doctor, but I thought that I would write this because I know that 10 years of worrying about my condition has probably made my condition worse.

Brian (30 year old, Scotland)
ihave stomach pain when I eat, also gas, some times consipated, sometimes loose, loss of appetite, weight loss
I experience stomach pain and dont feel like eating when i feel like this.  I have blood on the toliet paper and in the toliet when i have a bowel movement.  I do have hemrroids but i feel like maybe it could be something else.
yesterday my right side of my lower stomach has throbbing and occasionally shooting pains, today it is still going on? what possible thingsmay this be?
I have the same thing and i get so scared and i think tha there is something really wrong whit me and i wish that some one would tell me what
Respected Doctor,

I am yogi from mumbai-india, male-26yrs. having toruble of mucas,blood passing thru stool from past 5 years. tried all type of medicines alopathic,homeopathic,ayurvedic too. but i do get releif for few days & it's as it is. done the colonoscopy too. done full check up (reports) of my blood+stool too.doctors says it's because of tension u take.whatever i eat it dosen't get digested properly.all food particuls come out as it is.weigh is also too low it's only 45kgs. no freshness i feel. always feel that i am seek all time. i've got same problem described below from one of your existing member.if you want i'll send you my reports details. pls advice me some specialist in mumbai for the same or anything i can consult with my doctor.

******--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: mucus and blood
Topic Area: Diarrhea
Forum: The Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Forum
Question Posted By: mechelle on Tuesday, January 19, 1999

i have recently started noticing mucas and blood in my stools. it is sort of like
i am constipated, but not really. when i do have a BM, it is loose and clotty. this is so gross.
i have been experiencing cramping in my lower abdominal area as well? what does this sound like?
any suggestions? please and thank you. :)
Dear Michelle,

Mucus and bloody, loose stools warrant further investigation to rule out infectious colitis, inflammatory bowel disease or other conditions. I would recommend that you have a gastroenterological evaluation to determine the source of your symptoms. You may benefit from a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy (tests where a tube is introduced through the rectum and advanced up into the colon)to help diagnose the cause of your symptoms. I hope you find this information helpful.

This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.

If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians
I HAVE A BAD PAIN ACOOS MY BELLY I HAVE DONE EVER THING I CAN.WHAT SHOULD I DO?
I hava a severe pain under my left rib cage. I am seeking medical advice on this issue.
did you find out whats wrong ,,,,i have the same thing,,,,,maor pain for 2 years under the same spot,,,and had it checked they tell me its reflux,,well that reflux is all swollen now and hurts like hell,,i  have depression too,,and a pill addiction,,which i go to na for now,,clean for 78 days,,,let me know please if you  found anything out im hurting bad,,,,,***@****
Just had gallbladder removed alst Tuesday. Started getting bad stabbing pain in left side right under rib cabe.What could it be? Take darvacet for pain but not helping. Goes through to back.
i have been havin a minor continuously pain right under my left rib the only time it doesnt hurt is if im sleepin or if i just ate, i use drink alot of alcohol and do drugs,but i am clean of both now for a couple months.I get weak alot and hardly have any energy to go out and do stuff anymore. please send any information on what this could be or what i can do to find out.
thanks
i have been having this continuously  minor pain  right under my left ribbs this has been goin on for awhile, i use drink alcohol and do drugs  but im am clear of both now.I get get weak alot and never hardly have energy to do anything anymore,please send any information on what this could be or how i can find out,

Most people suffer from fecal impactions, and I've seen several people that suffer from stomach pain as well as mega colon get relief from a safe and effective treatment that most doctors arn't familiar with. The P.I.E. procedure ,with studies available from John Hopkins Pediatric Center as well as Texas Childrens Hospital. I would like to give everyone whose interested in finding out if this could be available for you please call the National Colon Health Center at (530)241-1500 and ask for David Gestri or Kristen Keefe.
CHECK OUT COSTOCHONDRITIS, THAT MIGHT BE WHAT YOU HAVE, MY EMAIL IS ***@****
I am 15 years old and I have been dignosed with food allergies. I have stayed away from the foods I am allergic to and still I get pains in my stomach. The doctor has prescribed medication to help digest my food now I my stool is green. The doctors color doesn't matter, but I still have pains in my stomach. If anyone has any suggestions on what green stool means or if something else could be wrong please post a response.. I would greatly like it!!! **Jessica**
when im in bed for say like 6 hrs i wak up hurting all the way thru to my back and most the times i wake up hurting all the way around seems like and when i get up move around it eases off, but cant lye back down.and have had this problem for a real long time. can some one please help me?
A related discussion, Do I Have Acid Reflux was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?