Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Viewing 201-311 comments:
IT SEEMS YOU HAVE IBS OR SPASTIC COLON.  I HAVE THE SAME THING I WORRY ABOUT EVERYTHING AND I GET SICK.  LIKE WHEN I DECIDE TO GO SOMEWHERE I WORRY IF THERE IS GOING TO BE A BATHROOM NEARBY.  I HAVE HAD IT SINCE I WAS A CHILD AND SOME OF THE EFFECTS OR DIAHERRA (diarrhea) AND CONSTIPATION AND SEVRE PAINS IN MY STOMACH.  MY DOCTOR GAVE ME A MEDICINE CALLED LOTERNEX AND IT HELPS IT COMES MY NEVRES AND HELPS ME NOT WORRY AS MUCH YOU MIGHT NEED A STRONGER DOSAGE THEN ME BUT IT HELPS ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT.  I NEVER HAD ANY SIDE AFFECTS SO TRY IT AND SEE HOW IT DOES FOR YOU.  I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING AND THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT SEEMS TO WORK.  GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING.
I was curious if anyone has had these symptoms:
An achy, knawing feeling when stomach is empty-- relief when you eat. I have been tested for h-pylori and also ulcers, and results are negative... Dr. says it's probably a NERVOUS STOMACH, which I am guessing can lead to an ulcer..All I know is that I have had this pain since right after the birth of my last baby- 9 mos. ago. I don't think it's related to the birth, but for what it's worth, I was on strong antibiotics during labor. The pain in my stomach is most prominent in the morning before I eat. Zantac didn't seem to help the pain subside...but Maalox seems to help it somewhat. This pain is not a heart-burn feeling either,it is  more like a dull, annoying ache.
Amazing...

Well, let me join the club...

Have had upper left quadrant abdominal pain for over 12 years..

Developed it after I developed a strange flu like illness that put me down for a couple of weeks..(thought I was going to die it was so bad..lost 15 lbs....sleeping 12+ hrs a day....hot and cold flashes, extreme fatigue, etc.)

Well ever since that illness, I have had some level of upper left quad abdominal pain, sometimes very strong pains, other times moderate but exist pretty much all the time..

More gas and bloating then before also...

Yep..worse 1-2 hours after eating (most of the time)...when totally fasting the pain is somewhat better...sometimes I accidently eat something that almost makes the pain go away...but it is not predictable or real repeatable...pressing in that area seems to help releive the pain a bit also..

Strange thing....when I twist my rib cage to the right sometimes a "pop" is heard and felt and, for a few minutes the pain is considerably less.  Told a Gastro about it and she felt and heard it...her eyes got real big...said we would have to invesigate it and scheduled a few more tests...all normal...

Now let's add moderately hypertensive (I think related to the pain...)If I take a good dose of Ibuprophen and I get lucky and the pains eases, guess what my BP goes way down...(not rocket science...folks)

And now for the grand finale, just started a few months ago...  PVCs and heart palps also... (One ER visit and a few Doc visits later...they say they are benign and have no real explanation...)

Tried meds for the PVC and palps, PVC get better but BP goes way down and so does pulse (hows 60 BPM)because the meds are basically BP meds.  Also the meds make abdominal pain worse..can't win can we...  

And of course...like everyone...I had all the tests, upper GI, Cat scan, Colonoscopy, etc,.etc....all basically normal...

No real diagnosis...Docs say..."everything is fine so you should feel good about it, right??"

Anyway, If anyone has any good ideas I would love to hear them...will answer questions if you need to know more..

If someone (a Doc let's say..) ever finds the time to really look at this thing and stop worrying about 15 minute office visits and the managed care thing, I am sure they will find the answer and make a mint...not to mention become a saint to a whole lot of people.

Take care all....

This all started after the birth of my second child. I started having frequent stomach aches after meals. I went to the doctor and he put me on prilosec,but that did not help. So they started running a bunch of tests. A Hyda Scan showed that my gallbladder was functioning well below the normal percentage, One week later I had my gallbladder removed. I felt okay for a few days, and then all of the sudden I started having an awful pain in my stomach, it felt like somebody had their hands around it and was sqeezing it as hard as they could, I would break out in sweats and cry it hurt so bad. The episodes as I call them last anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes which seems like an eternity when you hurt that bad, hunger seems to trigger it most of the time but not always, I try to keep my stomach full,because if it starts to feel the least bit empty it triggers it. I reported this to my doctor and he did an upper endoscopy. He said I had some inflammation of the stomach,  and that my esophagus had some wear. He put me on protonix,and Cardizem. Altough they are not happening as frequently, but they are still occuring, and it is greatly affecting my life. I am only 23, and I felt so much better, before I had my gallbladder taken out Why? Please Help.
Hello, Im no doctor or anything, but I read your post, and I have been haveing the same problem, what my doctor done, was order urine test and a series of blood test. Well I took all of the test today, and then my doctor called me back with the bad news tonight, the first thing he asked me was how was I feeling? and I told him still not good, I had went to the doctor for the flu, only to get this phone call after all of the test, the doctor told me that I had alot of blood in my urine, which I allready knew, cause I have a kidney diease. But what I didnt know was that he told me that I had a inflamed liver, I'm not sure what causes this, but my doctor is very concerned about it, he told me that I need to come in the office and talk to him.
But I had the same symptoms as you do, I hurt in my side and back, my back mainly, and I have very loose bowels as well, and I get sick at my stomache alot, so maybe you need to tell your doctor to do alot of blood test on you as well to see if they can find anything like they found on me.

If you would like to email me at my email address you can , feel free at
***@****

well good luck , and I hope that they find what the matter with you soon

Darilyn
HI , I TOO HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME KIND OF PAIN UNDER MY LEFT RIB. IT COMES AND GOES SOMETIMES LASTING A WEEK AND THEN GOING AWAY FOR A FEW MONTHS, DRS CANT FIND ANYTHING. I THINK THIS IS THE AREA OF THE LEFT PART OF THE LIVER IS. MY PAIN FEELS ROUND AND SOMETIMES TAKES MY BREATH AWAY. IF I RAISE MY LEFT ARM IT HELPS, YOU CAN EMAIL ME FURTHER AT ***@****
I have just experienced the exact same symptoms today. That's how I got to this article.  I don't use alcohol, but I have been going through stressful life situations.  Haven't gone to emergency room yet ( I might).  I am very eager to know what is causing my symptoms.  Any educated, informed opinion or other shared information would be greatly appreciated.
I WILL  LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE LIVER,
PLEASE I LOSET MY ATTAIUD I DONT FEEL GOOD AT TIMES
THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT I HAD LIVER PROBLEM MY
LIVER IS ELEVETED.
I DO NOT TALK TO MUCH INGLISH.CAN'T SOMEONE HELP ME.
I WILL  LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE LIVER,
LIVER IS ELEVETED.
i have same problem
Pray God will help!
It must be serious.
I had same symptoms.. was trying to find out more??
I am having the same symptoms as Kat posted on Friday October 22, 1999.
I am also having bad pain in the same location with no results from doctors.  My pain is getting worse.  Any ideas?
I found this on line.  This is what I have.
PAINFUL RIB SYNDROME
What you are referring to has several names.  In addition to
I just wanted to let you know I really feel for all of you, I have had this pain in my middle upper stomach right under my ribs since my daughter was born 5 months ago on the 11th.  At first I thought it was heartburn and I was taking ovc meds for it, but nothing helped.  The drs. say its a hernia, I am not sure what it is, I only know that I am great pain every day and have been for 5 months.  I wake up feverish, and am doubled over in pain all the time.  I am only 27 and I don't understand why.  If anyone has any info that will link to my problem please feel free to email or IM me.  ***@****. Thank you
I have the same symptoms... although my pain has increased to moderate to severe....if you find out what it ishat is he problem...and will do the same for you.. email me back your response. I did have a Cat Scan last July and I know it is not kidney or bladder stones  and my gallbladder is gone..

***@****

I dont know what it is but your not alone. I too have been feeling the same kind of pain that you talk about on the left side of my ribs. But I dont drink alchohol so it cant be about that. I went to my doctor and he too said nothing is wrong. I also do not feel fever. I think whatever it is .... Its nothing to be scared about. Maybe u should get an x ray. Im getting one just incase
gall bladder disease.   it may need to be removed.
You could have "Celiac Disease"  Go to www.celiac.com.
See my comment to Wayne on upper right quadrant pain.
I have a very similar situation and am wondering if this article ever got a reply.
I HAVE STOMACH PROBLEMS. I HACE A PRESCRIPTION TO PEPCID. I ALWAYS BURP ALOT AND DO NOT FEEL VERY GOOD MOST OF THE TIME
I have similar problems with the bad stomach pain on and off again.  It's usually right where my ribs meet and in the upper part of my stomach.  I also get bad sharp chest pains that are from a chest strain injury that gets re-strained when the muscles are weak.

My doctor tried telling me I had costochondritis but I'm not sure if I believe him completely.  I was in a car accident two years ago and I had severe whiplash to my chest from the seat belt strap.  As soon as I got out of the car my chest started seizing up and it got so bad that I couldn't sit up on my own or else I couldn't breathe.  At the hospital they did x-rays and said I didn't have any broken ribs and after a few weeks the pain went away.  However, it flares up from time to time, especially during periods when I'm not very active.

I went to the emergency room once last spring and then again a few months ago when the pain was really intense and wouldn't go away.  That was when the doctor said I had a chest strain from the original injury.  This makes the most sense, and the injured areas will get really sore and inflamed, just like with costochondritis.  Plus, I'm aware that I have lots of congestion and scar tissue around this area, and problems with the cartelige.  It's really gross sometimes cause I can feel it moving when I walk.  Something new with it are the muscle spasms that I've been having since December.  They feel like a vibration/quivering over my heart and left upper ribcage area. They made me really anxious at first of course, but now I understand them better.

I've been having stomach problems too and somehow I think it's all tied in together.  Sometimes I'll have acidy gas gurgling in my stomach and sometimes this is up under my left ribcage, just over from my heart on my side.  Should I really be feeling this that high up? I think it's weird.

If anyone has any advice or ideas please post them.

same as above
I have had stomach pains all my life. I got an upper GI and all types of tests and doctors have found nothing.  After eating I get the worst pains in my stomach(also in the morning).  When it comes time for my period, I get the worst cramps, bloating, gas pains, dizziness, back and neck aches, etc.  Yes I do have some allergy problems and I am a very stressful person but I am taking medcine for those problems.  I am just sick of being sick all the time and not knowing what is wrong with me.
    I just want to know if muccas(fleme) is causing these pains or is it something else, and what can I do about it.  I've got so many tests from doctors and nothing but I still have pains.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I think some of the complaints could be esophageal spasms.  I have been trying to find out why I get very intense pain right between my ribs, where they begin to separate.  The pain is squeezing and pressure and I can't talk and have trouble breathing.  It is so severe that I feel like my heart will stop at any moment.  Needless to say, I've been through the doctor mill too. I've had tests and everything is normal.  I have not had any testing for the esophagus.  That is the only thing left that hasn't been checked.  I do take an anti-spasm med. and it seems to help most of the time.  Yesterday I had an attack on the way to the airport, I had to pull over and put an anti-spasm pill under my tongue.  It did eventually help just before I reached the ER.  Funny how none of the doc.s and specialists ever mention this could be the cause.  Obviously I have the more intense kind.  Does anyone know of any other med.s that might be stronger?? Has anyone been diagnosed with this or something similar?  I can swallow fine and these attacks can happen anytime of the day or night.  I hate being a medical mystery, I would like to find a cause and cure quickly.!!  This thing is really affecting my quality of life.  any help would be appreciated.
e-mail ***@****
thanks...
I am surprised to find someone else that has this pain.  I know it is not my gallbladder because I had that taken out a couple of years ago.  I am 51 and I figured it was part of getting older.  However, It is a constant pain which makes it uncomfortable to sit or even lay down.  I have been diagnosed tentatively with irritable bowel syndrome.  But this does not feel like any gas.  It makes it painful to wear a bra too.  If you find out what yours is let me know.  Good luck.
I have somewhat the same pain on my left side, last three weeks ago after giving blood to my doctor he called and said i need a series of ct scans of my stomach and chest, he said he thinks i have lymphmna, but sofar upon my chest is clear, he did find a liquid said in my  stomach area, so tommorrow i'm having a vaginal ultrasound which is very stressful, now i had to wait 3 1/2 weeks for all of this to come to light, i thought i was on the verge of a nervous break down, stress is terrible and my life was changing was very rapiding.... i also have terrible pain on my left breast and underarm, no lumps , but if u have any ideas what it might be let me know,,, i will pray for u to recover and loose some of this stress u are experiencing... please responed to me.. thanks, tressa @aol. com
i have a l-5 fusion 3 years ago so i''m on disablitly and take 80mgs of oxycontin, soma, bacoflen and prozaic, and sleeping medicinie that does not work, the pain right now is severe and i sometimes i feel the maybe life is not worth iving, i have no life, i so tired of test and doctors and spending money i don't have, i need help, whatever that maybe, have any suggestions?
tressa
Hi my name is Holly. I have endo and had a hyst last Oct. because of it. I have had pain in my left side right under my ribs for years. I thought that it was related to my endo but now know that it isnt. When the pain comes on it hits in the front first then it hits in the back like kidney area. It is like having a contraction. I scream and roll around on the floor for a few minutes and then it goes away. And then other times it just aches for long periods of time like days. I have looked everywhere on the internet for these symptoms and have found nothing. I just got back on insurance so I will be seeing a Dr. soon. I had an attack yesterday and it was so bad I almost had my son call 911. I just don't know what to do or what is going on with me. Anything you guys can tell me would be so appreciated! I also wanted to know what tests I can have the Dr. run? Thank you all so much.
Holly
***@****
I have the same thing with my ribs hurting.My DR says my ribs are
strained from coughing.Is that possible?I think its more sesious than that.Its been like that for 3 months now.Drugs dont help.
Any Ideas?
what causes pain on your right side of the stomach about 2 inches up from your belly buton thank you
my two month old has a stomach ache and i don't know what i can do for her'; please tell me what i can do
HELLO, IT SOUND LIKE YOUR DOING WHAT IVE BEEN DOING.   IVE GONE TO SO MANY DOCTORS, AND HAD SO MANY TESTS, BUT EVERYTHING CAME BACK NORMAL.  I WAS SO SURE I WAS GONNA DIE, AND I HAD EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN.  YOU MAY HAVE GALL STONES.  ARE YOU OVER WEIGHT?   IS IT BY YOUR RIBS>  IVE HAD THAT PAIN, EVENTUALLY IT WILL GO AWAY.    IM SURE I ALSO HAVE GALL STONES, ALOT OF PEOPLE DO, ITS OK, IF IT GETS TO BAD, YOU CAN HAVE THEM REMOVED.   DONT WORRY, ABOUT THAT LISTEN I CAN TELL YOU SOMTHING, WHEN YOU GET REALLY REALLY SICK, YOULL KNOW IT.  YOUR NOT SICK NOW, BE HAPPY.  PLEASE WRITE ME BACK, AND TELL ME WHY YOUR SO DEPRESSED. BY BY FRANCINE
HAVE PAINS IN RIGHT SIDE SSTOMACH ALSO HURTS WHAT CAN IT BE PLEASE HELP ME
My daughter has been experiencing similar rib pain and I would like to read some of the responses to Kat's post but do not know where to look.
l feel pain in the left side ending my rib that happen to me for about 2 months dont let me sleep and sometimes at night I weakup with nausea and my mouth feel like watery,and that pain dont letme sleep coming and go please notice to me what I COULD DO IT.THANK YOU att ***@****
MY STOMACH HURTS BAD KNOW MY PERIOD HAS COME BACK FOR THREE DAY NOW. IT HURTS BAD WEAR I HAVE TO GO LAY DOWN.I WONDER WHAT IT COULD BE WHY DOES MY STOMACH HURT LIKE THIS IT HAS BEEN DOING THIS FOR FOR MONTHS OR SO .
sdfhfzdhfsdah
i had apain like that and i had it for a long it was gallbalder
Have you had a colonoscopy?  Please answer before I go any further..
I have had many flare ups according to the above decriptive, but recently I have been suffering chronic pain non-stop for over three weeks now. The the pain subsides and then becomes acute,
practically unbearable.
It begins right under the curve of the breast bone, then radiates
down and across the entire stomach area.
This condition in the past has been acute, but never lasted more than a week. Right now it appears to be here to stay.
What do you suggest? My job takes me out of town and i don't want to seek a new doctor. Just got home from three months of work out of town, leaving for Illinois on friday for about 30 days.
please advise.

Thank You,
In a lot of pain in Corpus Christi, tx.
Same pain.
Also depressed.
I have been having almost the some pain. What have to found out about your pain ?
join the club been to more and more test they cant find anything but i no something is wrong
I dont know the answer but I have been experiencing the same types of symptoms you are complaining about.  My doctor also says I am ok.  If you know of anything please share your info.  GOOD LUCK
I have the same concern like you,I have been to the doctor office a dozen of times afraid that I might have something wrong.
I had ultrasounds and Cat Scan and they didn't find anything other than inflamation (inflammation) around my rib cage due to the stress.
I've got crampings on the right side of the abdomen and occasionaly goes down to the pelvic area I also feel a little pinch underneath my chin and lots of back pain around the blades area so as you can see you are not alone.
For sometime I though I may suffer of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) Because some of my symtoms (symptoms) are similar,but my doctor disagreed.
If you know more about this please e-mail me I really need to inform myself about any clinical advances on this matter.
On the meantime I hope you'll get better, but you need to go see a doctor!
Oxie
I have severe gas pain !!!!!  I lay in bed half the night forcing my self to blech and blech... trying to get the gas out.  When I do get some gas to come out, it does relieve the awful pressure..... and some times when I make my self throw-up, it helps my acid stomach calm down.   One Dr. said I have gall stones... and another said I have acid reflux problem... they given me Ursodiol- 300mg. to take once a day, and they have given me prevacid- 30mg. to take at bed time.... but none of it is helping :(
What is the problem?

I have what the person above had. I am really worry as well.I also have moving pain it strats from my shoulders goes to back of my head, and then to my chest, then to me legs even sometimes my arms and fingers. I also get alot of tiredniss. sometimes my legs shake.My doctore couldn't find anything.I have took all kind of medication nothing helped. can please someone infore me what is this, and whats the cure of it?

Thank you
Hello...I am hoping that you have gotten responses to this and have been able to deal with this problem.

The reason that I am responding...is because my husband (61) is also experienceing the same type of pain right under his r rib.
He also has been thru alot of stress and depression. Long ago,he too drank alot.

If you have any leads to what this could be please respond.

Thank you,
In Jesus Name!

Vicki Hansen
HANSENbud&***@****
stomach pain
I woke up in the middle of the night with pain surrounding my navel, and also a lot under my navel. The pain is constant, no matter what position I am in. I know that my eating has no effect on it, and I am sure it's not heartburn. So I was wondering if you could tell me what my problem, and if there is a specific medicine.
I do not drink. I have been having sharp pains left side, above my hip, and it is constant
I have been experiencing pain in my left side, below my breat, actulally it is more above my hip side.  It is a contant stabbing. I thought it might be indegestion, I took some Thumbs but no releif.  Should I be concerned.  I do not drink at all, but I am a smoker.
i dont know- but i am having very similar problems. i too am bipolar/manic and had a "verge of puking" nausea attack that lasted about 6 days with a dull pain from the top of my rib cage to my lowest organs in the front and back.it turned into a sharp pain in my lower right side- the hospital thought it was appendicitis but the tests came up clean. i dont know if its a real problem or all in my head. i have quit my antidepression meds and been drinking nightly for 3 months. if you find an answer to your questiuon- please let me know. thanks.
kat.
i have a pain on my right side of stomach about 5 inches up on the right side of belly button
hello i have a heavy feeling up under my left rib
       it feel like a big not in it some time it with catch
        it been there for a while now i havent been to no doctor
i am scard to go but it feel heavy like a rock on it can you tell me some thing about it befor i go to the doctor
i have had stomach achs every day for the past year! i have gone through 3 major tests, but nothing found. i know that something is wrong but i dont know. i worry alot but i am a very happy person! is my stomach achs from stress( school) worrying, ??? please reply
I have experiencing stomach pains for 4 years and it hurts up and down my ribs and lower abdomen my docter keeps telling me its gastrointhrites he gives persciptions for it but nothing helps any now im worried i've got many test done that result to nothing but these are very bad sharp pains. Everyone tells me its my head but its not i know when i have pain. Theres also dizziness and head aches . What could this be?
I am havin side pain under my ribs too. I am a teenager and I don't drink and I am not depressed. I have been through many tests for it and nothing shows up so now I am going to a GI. The pain comes and goes and it has ben here for 7 months now. My parents are leaning towards iritable bowl syndrom (syndrome) even though I don't have problmes with my bowls. Look into that and see if it helps. good luck
Erin, first you need to find a doc who will work with you.  Hope you have a plan that will allow this.  You have to rule out serious stuff so you really need to keep a book on symtoms (symptoms) and location.  A knowlegeable patient keeps the doc honest.  The more you can tell the doc the better he can focus.  Most likely, ruling out some serious problem, you have a fecal impaction that is not allowing your body to use nutrients and then pass them.  But that will tell in your bowel movements.  If regular and well formed then not a fecal impaction.  Pencil like, very gassy, broken up, good chance of fecal impaction.  Couple of tests doc can run..barium enema, colonoscopy. Neither is very uncomfortable. Results tell alot.  A possibility is Chrone's Disease or Diverticulosus.  Get blood work done to look forr infection.  Something to consider at this point.  If you have recently (last year) used any antibiotics you killed all the good stuff in your bowel.  You must start a regimes with Probiotics.  Without the good guys in you belly and bowel your body cannot do its job.  Another consideration is a fungal yeast called Candida.  Most MDs scoff at the idea.  Get Sherry Roger's books (any will do) and learn all you can about candida.  Then you can graduate to William Crook or William Rae.  Massive material about this creature.  You are not alone with this.  Millions of Americans, men and women, suffer exactly the same symtoms (symptoms).  Please do not let them treat your symtoms (symptoms).  Make the find the cause.  Good luck.
adweew;wejnemfkmwklem,mew,mrlkwklrklklewjwklejlk
I have similar pains and it could be a number of things.  One thing is for sure cut way back on the alcohol and get to a doctor.  It seems that you may need to actively persue help in other areas and an understanding doctor could really point you in some good directions.  Good  luck.
I have been having bad stomach pains throwing up and now I have a yellow color to my skin. What could this be?
it is probly your liver. My husband just had his fixed. It sounded like your problem.
                          Debbie
My pain is low on left side , more like pressure is this something to worry about/
ihave the same pain under my rib cage on the left side.and also sometimes between my rib cage.
I don't have an answer to your question but I also have been having left side pain and has become worse in the past few years.I fell off a horse about 20 years ago and landed on that side. I went to a chiropractor last year and he said that I may have broken my ribs when I fell and didn't go to the doctor. It hurts from my the middle of my stomach and goes around to my back. When I am sitting the pain is much worse and makes me sick to my stomach.  I have had ulcers in the past but this pain is constant now, more so in my side/back.I am worried also!! Did you ever get an answer?
I HAVE BEEN FEELING STOMACH PAIN FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK NOW AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS FROM.  I HAVE BEEN UNDER A LOT OF STRESS FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS AND I TELL PEOPLE BUT THEY THINK I AM JUST COMPLAINING BUT I KNOW THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.  THE PAIN I FEEL IS HARD TO EXPLAIN IT JUST HURT MOSTLY IN THE CENTER OF MY STOMACH AND I AM BEGINING TO LOSE MY APPETTITE.  I HAVE NO MEDICAL INSURANCE SO THATS WHY I HAVE NOT BEEN SEEN BY A DOCTOR IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU CAN DO PLEASE WRITE BACK...
MY REPLY IS THAT I DONT DRINK ANY ALCAHOL (alcohol)  BUT THE SIMTOM IS SIMILAR TO THIS  PAIN  I HAVE SEEN THREE DOCTORS  I HAVE BEEN TO A COLOSCOPY DONE TO ME  AND MANY TEST THEY FOUND A GOLP SIZE MALIG NANT OR A TOMOR  TO MY UTORUS LEFT SIDE   BUT THREE DOCTORS DINT/ TAKE IT AUT IM ALWAYS IN FAIN  I LOSSMY JOB BECAUSE IM ALWAYS HIDING MY PAIN  PLEASE HELP ME AOT THERE
i have the same symptoms, pain under the left rib cage for over a year.  my blood test show high cholestrol-my ultrasound on my abdomial (abdominal) area showed a 1 inch mass on my liver-the ct scan with/without contrast showed a fat mass on my liver-the upper gi shows negative-yet i am still in pain-the pain used to be occasionally now it is almost constant-i also in the last 2 months have started to burb alot- i do not drink-the area is very tender-the only medication that a i take is birth control and pain pills for cramps-in 3 days i see a surgent- i have know idea what this is-and know one knows-i am 32 years old,i was put on low fat-lkow cholestrol diet 2 months ago-i used to weigh 132lbs.-i know weigh 112lbs.-height=5'2 1/2". i wish someone could tell me what this is too-last week i also found 3 small nodules to my left of the umblical cord.
A lot of people have the same symptoms. I am 32 yrs old and have had the pain for a year.  I have had blood test, a abdominal ultrasound, CT scan without/with contrast, and  a Upper GI. I am now going to a Doctor for surgery in 3 days.  The only thing they can find wrong is High Cholestrol and a fat mass 1" on my liver.  I was put on a diet 2 months ago for low fat and cholestrol.  I have lost 20 lbs since then, I weigh 112 lbs.-5' 2 1/2".  I also have started to burp alot.  I told them I want surgery, because I am sick of the pain.  This will be my 11th operation.  The 2nd in a year.  My appendix, gall bladder, stomach,female organs, kidneys,etc white blood count is all fine-except the pain and I have a fever for 6 months.  Hopefully when I have surgery in the next 2 weeks I will get a answer.
I too experience the same type of pain that you describe.  Mine feels almost like a side ache that is intermittent in nature and hurts from the middle of my sternum some days to under my ribs.  I have been to the doctor before and they found nothing wrong.  I also can
hello i am haveing a problem on my left side some time i can feel a knot that come under it it have a heavy feeling
under it i am also having trouble with my left breasst i have a
problem with my left breast also i have  weakness in my legs and they stay swollening my legs also burn and have a num feeling to them and on my left hand my two last finger stay num to i dont have money to go to the doctor and i cant go so can you tell me a little about this problem
go to the doctor!!!!!  my husband just died from liver disease.  one of his first symptoms was pain un that area.  yours could be nothing, but that is what he also thought......now he's dead
A little guy about 3inches high, holds a flaming torch and stabs me on the inside, in the same place. Under my upper left rib cage, under my left breast. after the stabbing pain, then a constant burning sensation, and pressure. Have had it for about a year now, but has in the last few weeks been getting worse, and more often. almost constant now. thats how I came to this site, and have not seen any answers. I do not want on the doctor roller coaster, and a bunch of invasive tests. first of all, I have no insurance and am a single mom of 4 kids, and second of all, I have zero faith in medical doctors. I wish I could find a good homeopathic physician. After reading all the comments, and seeing the battery of tests so many have gone through with out any answers,I am really wondering where to go to get an answer. This site has alot of questions, and a couple of lame answers from the docs. Thanks to those who have commented on what they have found out, and I will do the same. So far, I am taking aloe vera gel, and MSM. Enzymes:digezyme: and acidophilus. It seems to help so far. Good luck to you all, and I hope we all find our answers.
Someone I am close to is experiencing the same symptoms. What could this be?
I believe that you all have gastritis.
all of your symptoms are very familuar to me.
you should go to a doctor and hav him prescribe something (?RANIHEXAL?) to lower the acid levels in your stomach and allow the infection to heal.
but if you dont do that, the symptoms only get worse untill it eventually hurts to breath.
trust me, i know :\
not very pleasent, and its even worse to go to umpteen doctors and have them not no whats wrong with you.
but i eventually found out.

good luck all...

feel free to let me know whats happening... :)

becky.***@****
I've been up all night with stomach pain. Right side in my stomach. This was a problem almost 20 years ago and the docs could find nothing wrong. About 2 months or so ago it started back up. I thought it might be related to my use of flonase for chronic sinusitis as it's listed as a side effect. So I discontinued the flonase....That seemed to stop it for a few weeks. When it began years ago it only came on at night. Never once during the day. This past week it's been at any and all times. When it starts the pain lasts for about 10 to 12 hours. Nothing really seems to help relieve it.

What's dpressing is that gastrointestinal disorders are the hardest to correctly diagnose. I have no insurance and I deeply dread getting on that merry-go-round of doctors and testing and knowing that the chances of a correct diagnoses are slim.

My heart goes out to all of you who suffer this kind of pain. And I wish all of us luck in 'fixing' this....and now maybe that my pain is easing off I can get a few hours of sleep.
ooops...sorry. That should read "*left*" side of my stomach. Sigh, that's what comes from lack of sleep.
Hello.I've been having severe stomach pain all day and the only thing i've eaten today is 2 cheese burgers and some chicken.I was wondering if i have food poisoning or not...what do you think?
you please tell me.
the samething happens to me.
I've been taking tagamet (cimetidine)400mgs twice a day and I've cut out red meat and pork. They're very hard to digest as well as cheese. I've been eating more frequent, smaller meals. I was also told to use mylanta. Last night for the first time I had an attack comming on and I was able to stop it!! The stress I've been under is letting up some. Or should I say changing. I can take action now rather than sit and wait. The waiting was killing me. BTW, the 400mgs of tagamet is perscription dosage. As with any med....read the drug interaction precautions etc before using......
I really don't have an answer. I have same symtons. My Dr. claims he doesn't know whats worng.
I have been suffering with the same pain (left side of rib cage), shooting pains across back, regurgitation of food, wind,  breathing problems (leading sometimes to panic attacks) and depression for over 10 years now and I have been for various tests, after a second upper gi-endoscopy I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, in my case this causes the entrance to the stomach to be constantly open and does not shut properly.
This is what was explained to me by my specialist, the pain in the chest (in most cases you could place your finger on the exact same spot) is caused by an inflamed area of the gullet caused by acid being present in the gullet, this also causes the pains felt across the back.  The breathing problems I have been having is also due to acid in the gullet (airways restricting to prevent acid entering lungs).
Since receiving this information I have now managed to control my condition and I no longer suffer panic attacks, when I feel breathing difficulties I take an antacid (currently on Ranitidine 150mg) and the symptoms usually go away within 10 mins, the pain in my chest is still there but I no longer worry about it and this also helps as anxiety can cause your body to produce excess acid thus making it worse.
I am waiting to go for motility and ph tests (14/6/01) and depending on the results I might have to undergo an operation to repair my hiatus.

This is only information relating to my own condition and I would advise anyone with chest pains to see their doctor, but I thought that I would write this because I know that 10 years of worrying about my condition has probably made my condition worse.

Brian (30 year old, Scotland)
ihave stomach pain when I eat, also gas, some times consipated, sometimes loose, loss of appetite, weight loss
I experience stomach pain and dont feel like eating when i feel like this.  I have blood on the toliet paper and in the toliet when i have a bowel movement.  I do have hemrroids but i feel like maybe it could be something else.
yesterday my right side of my lower stomach has throbbing and occasionally shooting pains, today it is still going on? what possible thingsmay this be?
I have the same thing and i get so scared and i think tha there is something really wrong whit me and i wish that some one would tell me what
Respected Doctor,

I am yogi from mumbai-india, male-26yrs. having toruble of mucas,blood passing thru stool from past 5 years. tried all type of medicines alopathic,homeopathic,ayurvedic too. but i do get releif for few days & it's as it is. done the colonoscopy too. done full check up (reports) of my blood+stool too.doctors says it's because of tension u take.whatever i eat it dosen't get digested properly.all food particuls come out as it is.weigh is also too low it's only 45kgs. no freshness i feel. always feel that i am seek all time. i've got same problem described below from one of your existing member.if you want i'll send you my reports details. pls advice me some specialist in mumbai for the same or anything i can consult with my doctor.

******--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: mucus and blood
Topic Area: Diarrhea
Forum: The Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Forum
Question Posted By: mechelle on Tuesday, January 19, 1999

i have recently started noticing mucas and blood in my stools. it is sort of like
i am constipated, but not really. when i do have a BM, it is loose and clotty. this is so gross.
i have been experiencing cramping in my lower abdominal area as well? what does this sound like?
any suggestions? please and thank you. :)
Dear Michelle,

Mucus and bloody, loose stools warrant further investigation to rule out infectious colitis, inflammatory bowel disease or other conditions. I would recommend that you have a gastroenterological evaluation to determine the source of your symptoms. You may benefit from a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy (tests where a tube is introduced through the rectum and advanced up into the colon)to help diagnose the cause of your symptoms. I hope you find this information helpful.

This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.

If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians
I HAVE A BAD PAIN ACOOS MY BELLY I HAVE DONE EVER THING I CAN.WHAT SHOULD I DO?
I hava a severe pain under my left rib cage. I am seeking medical advice on this issue.
did you find out whats wrong ,,,,i have the same thing,,,,,maor pain for 2 years under the same spot,,,and had it checked they tell me its reflux,,well that reflux is all swollen now and hurts like hell,,i  have depression too,,and a pill addiction,,which i go to na for now,,clean for 78 days,,,let me know please if you  found anything out im hurting bad,,,,,***@****
Just had gallbladder removed alst Tuesday. Started getting bad stabbing pain in left side right under rib cabe.What could it be? Take darvacet for pain but not helping. Goes through to back.
i have been havin a minor continuously pain right under my left rib the only time it doesnt hurt is if im sleepin or if i just ate, i use drink alot of alcohol and do drugs,but i am clean of both now for a couple months.I get weak alot and hardly have any energy to go out and do stuff anymore. please send any information on what this could be or what i can do to find out.
thanks
i have been having this continuously  minor pain  right under my left ribbs this has been goin on for awhile, i use drink alcohol and do drugs  but im am clear of both now.I get get weak alot and never hardly have energy to do anything anymore,please send any information on what this could be or how i can find out,

Most people suffer from fecal impactions, and I've seen several people that suffer from stomach pain as well as mega colon get relief from a safe and effective treatment that most doctors arn't familiar with. The P.I.E. procedure ,with studies available from John Hopkins Pediatric Center as well as Texas Childrens Hospital. I would like to give everyone whose interested in finding out if this could be available for you please call the National Colon Health Center at (530)241-1500 and ask for David Gestri or Kristen Keefe.
CHECK OUT COSTOCHONDRITIS, THAT MIGHT BE WHAT YOU HAVE, MY EMAIL IS ***@****
I am 15 years old and I have been dignosed with food allergies. I have stayed away from the foods I am allergic to and still I get pains in my stomach. The doctor has prescribed medication to help digest my food now I my stool is green. The doctors color doesn't matter, but I still have pains in my stomach. If anyone has any suggestions on what green stool means or if something else could be wrong please post a response.. I would greatly like it!!! **Jessica**
when im in bed for say like 6 hrs i wak up hurting all the way thru to my back and most the times i wake up hurting all the way around seems like and when i get up move around it eases off, but cant lye back down.and have had this problem for a real long time. can some one please help me?
A related discussion, Do I Have Acid Reflux was started.
Viewing 201-311 comments: