Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach Transplants

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stomach Transplants
A family member had Esophageol Cancel 10 yrs ago.  He had 1/2 of his esophagis and 2/3 of his stomach removed.  Had radiation and kemo therapy and has been cancer free.  The remainder of his stomach is now blocked with scar tissue.  When an operation was performed, a tumor was found behind his stomach.  He has a J tube and a G tube.  The G tube bypasses his stomach so he can have the satisfaction of taste and some eating but is allowed only liquids and food the will melt (ie. jello/ice cream) and all nutrition comes from the J tube.  The doctor says it's recurring cancer.  We haven't seen the oncoligist yet.  Is there any research being done on stomach transplants and if so, where does it stand?
Dear Cheryl,
Stomach transplants are not a focus of research because the stomach is involved with food storage, a task that is not vital to survival.  It sounds as if the major problem is recurrence of tumor.  

This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician

I have had my stomach removed because of stomach cancer. A stomach was made of the intestine. I can eat normal foods but smaller amounts and  instead of threee meals a day I have 6 small meals a day.
A related discussion, can you need a normal life wihout a somch was started.
A related discussion, lost stomach and esophogas was started.