Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach and lower back burning/brused sensation

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I'm not sure if this is a dermetilogical question or a gastrointestinal question, but any info is appreciated. For the past week I have had a constant burning sensation only on my stomach and lower back. It is external and feels like a very bad sunburn with mild to no itching. There is no external rash of any kind and I have not  been in the sun nor done any activity to provoke this.

I have recently been eating nuts (which I don't normally eat) and thought that might have caused an allegic reaction, or maybe something else I ate would cause this. I'm not sure.

Also, 1 month ago, I was given some medicine (like penecilin) for a virus. Could this have caused an after effect that could linger?

I 'm not sure what direction to take this, but the sensation is constant and uncomforable.

Thanks for your help,

Mr. Christopher
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

You note a burning sensation in your stomach and lower back.  There is no rash.  It feels external.  

Without examining you it is difficult to say exactly what it is - I can offer some possibilities for you to discuss with your personal physician.    

Any stomach burning may be dyspepsia - this is simply defined as upper GI discomfort.  Causes can be GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the stomach or esophagus.  A referral to a gastroenterologist for an upper GI series or upper endoscopy can diagnose a GI cause.

If the symptom is purely external without a rash, you may want to seek a neurological opinion.  You may be describing paresthesias - defined as numbness or prickly sensations without point specificity, or abnormal hypersensitivities, all local to one part of the body, and without an obvious cause.  A neurologist would provide the appropriate testing to evaluate this.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.