Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach condition

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stomach condition

For the past year I have had stomach soreness mid part of stomach. feels like a bloated/sore/gassy sensation.It feels like the indigestion one gets right before the stomach rumbling starts. Low to moderate pain that subsides than starts again. I usually have this every other day. I have had the following tests. Blood, H-Pylori, Colonoscopy and physical examination by a Gastroenterologist and my PCP. All Doctors attributed this all to anxiety/stress. They stressed to me that this is nothing serious, and is a benign condition. This usually starts of  in the morning with stomach rumbling, i can hear noises in the lower part of my stomach. It seems to work it's way up to my mid stomach, and sometimes back down again to the intestines. get a gassy feeling. It always for some reason goes away at night, but during the day gets quite uncomfortable. I also have burping with it sometimes.

I specifically asked the gastro Doctor about gallbladder or Ulcers and he said NO. He is a very fine Dr from the Cleveland Clinic. My question is if this is stress related can it last this long, and also if this was something serious would it accompany more symptoms. I am very confused on why this would last this long and affect my appetite sometimes.Finally, are there any medications I could take to get rid of the soreness.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Without examining you, it is impossible to say what the cause is.  

You may be describing dyspepsia (upper GI discomfort) which may be caused by ulcers, inflammation of the esophagus or stomach, GERD or gall bladder disease.  If you also describe gassiness, irritable bowel syndrome may also be considered (note that this is associated with anxiety).

You have had H Pylori tests and a colonoscopy.  I would also suggest an upper GI series to evaluate for ulcers a hiatal hernia.  If negative, I would consider an upper endoscopy to evaluate for inflammation or any masses which may be causing your symptoms.  An abdominal ultrasound can also be considered to evaluate the gall bladder.

As for medication - that would depend on the cause.  Without examining you, I cannot give specific treatment suggestions.

If your gastroenterologist is not agreeable, you may want to inquire about a second opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hi I would really like to know what the results were once you went to see the Doctor as I have Nausea, Right hand side pain, gas, belching, bloating and extreme fatigue that I was told was due to a combination of GERD, Dyspepsia and Piles - but even with medication the nausea, bloating and belching are still persistent and especially the fatigue is getting worse.