Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stomach spasms?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stomach spasms?

Thank you for reading this:

Usually after eating or needing to eat (within 60 minutes), I will, upon a shallow breath (exhale), experience a sensation in my stomach as if a dip in a rollercoaster or a car going over a bump in the road.  After this sensation I sometimes get spasms in the left abdominal area.  The spasms are rapid and I can see a "pulse" in the area and feel as though my heart is beating in that location.  At first I thought that I was having a heart attack but was examined while the symptoms were present and the heart problem was ruled out. If the spasms do not take place, I will have a full feeling which eventually goes away.   If the spasms do hit, once they leave I can almost feel them moving into my bowel and feel a need for a bowel movement.
I also occasionally experience the sensation when deeply laughing or by sitting on a couch with my left arm on the arm rest higher than my stomach for a reasonably long period of time or leaning over a table or computer for lengthy periods.
I do not experience any discomfort exercising (running, weight lifting) except a pulling feeling in my chest just under my diaphram when bench pressing.  On two occasions I began to walk briskly upon symptoms and they disappeared.
The spasms are uncomfortable and can be alleviated, besides the exercise, by lying down flat and breathing slowly and deeoly.  Interestingly, once they do leave, I become very hungry.

I've taken Prevacid and am now on Aciphex which I take in the morning.  It seems that I feel fine before taking the medication and begin to experience minor symptoms afterwards.  I can go a couple of weeks without symptoms and then have a few days when I feel the symptoms build to the point of the spasms. After an epsiode, I feel as if nothing ever happened.

Again, thank you for reading this.
Various causes of dyspepsia can be evaluated for - including GERD, an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  An upper GI series or upper endoscopy can be considered for initial evaluation.

Esophageal spasm is also possible, and can be evaluated with esophageal motility studies.

With the relation to food, you can also consider gastroparesis - or delayed gastric emptying.  A gastric emptying scan would be the appropriate test to evaluate for this possibility.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Thank you Doctor for your comments.  After posting I was reminded that about a week before the symptoms began, I experienced a mouth condition that according to my dentist was basically a yeast infection from being "run down".  When the infection disappeared from my mouth, almost to the day, the symptoms began in my stomach.  I would also add that when I eat dinner I drink a beer and very rarely have trouble with my stomach at that meal.  Today for breakfast I did not have any milk and did not take the Aciphex and felt reasonably comfortable all day.  The condition is perplexing to me and I am sorry that I did not mention these facts earlier.

Thank you again...you give me hope.
I cannot comment on your symptoms as I have not experienced them, but I will tell you that if you have yeast anywhere in or on your body, you probably have it in your digestive track. I recommend Garden of Life Fungal Defense, and then a followup Bifidipholis probiotic. Systemic yeast infections are one of the most frequently undiagnosed causes of health problems. Yeast can cause a multitude of symptoms, and I'm sorry to say your beer you enjoy is one of the worst things you can drink with a yeast problem! Drink LOTS of distilled water and make sure your bowels are moving frequently if you decide to do the detox. Good luck.
Thank you for your comments.  Could you expand on the Bifidipholis probiotic?  I have not been able to find out what this is.

Thanks again,  I really appreciate any help.
I forgot to address the previous comment to you.  Thank you again.
A bifidopholis(possibly misspelled!) probiotic is one that has acidophilus for the small intestine and bifidobacterium bifidum for the large intestine. Most people think taking acidophilus is enough, however I am not one of those people. I think you would get better results in maintenance using bifidopholis. One thing I left out in previous post is that I am against taking acid reflux medication. It does absolutely nothing goood for your digestion. It certainly does not cure your acid reflux, however I am not advising you to stop taking it as I am not a doctor, just someone who has suffered with acid reflux before. I would suggest taking digestive food enzymes before every meal and if needed between meals and above all else make sure your bowels move every day. Doctors pretty much ignore the colon but in my humble opinion, the colon is the source of all disease. Wally, I am sure you will find the answers to your health problems and I wish you good health.
Thank you for your response.  Believe it or not but I began taking an acidophilus supplement yesterday and stopped taking the aciphex because I believe it was making me feel bad.  So far, today is better than yesterday.  I appreciate you kind words.  Wally
I would be interested in knowing what you did for your acid reflux.  It seems that the recommendations are to supposedly relieve the symptoms but not cure the condition.  It also seems that there are just too many symptoms for one basic problem.  I only really got acid reflux when, because of my life style, I ate dinner too late at night and then had to go to bed.  Other than those incidents, it really wasn't a problem.  I'd appreciate knowing what you did since I am just a novice and yes I realize that you are not a doctor.  

Thanks,

Wally
Acid reflux for me was the result of many years of liver and gallbladder problems and overuse of antibiotics.I was in a car accident 4 yrs. ago and wound up going to a chiropractor who educated me about my body. Finally, I was able to get relief thru natural means and was able to come off the 6 different meds the doctors had me on. I called it my journey towards good health and I am still on that journey. I do what I suggested you do. I stay on digestive enzymes because I no longer have a gallbladder. I stay on a maintenance dose of probiotic because once you have yeast it is very hard to rid your body of.But your problems are recent and will probably respond well with the Fungal Defense cleanse and digestive enzymes.Keep enzymes on hand and when you feel indigestion coming on take a couple.Again, I urge you to make sure your bowels move daily, drink LOTS of distilled pure water and eat a healthy diet(most of the time) and you should feel better.Yeast can cause gas and gas can be felt all the way up in your chest and even your throat.You didn't mention if you expelled gas during these attacks, and if you do, does it relieve the pain any?
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.  I will take them and see how it goes.  Wish me luck!

Wally
I do wish you luck, of course. Please let me know how you are doing.
A related discussion, stomach  spasms was started.
I have been having stomach spams since i was a kid I have dizzy spells during sleep wake up and in a cold sweat and begin vomiting none stop and cannot hold food down only liguids I want to know what caould be the main cause of this is it my eating habit or just having a weak stomach