Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stone in the liver?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stone in the liver?

12 years ago I had my gall bladder removed. I had been suffering with abdominal pain for many years till it got to the point one night where I was in agony and my husband rushed me to casualty.
I had a scan which showed I had 1 very large stone in the gallbladder and because the pain was only leaving me for short intervals and I was constantly being sick I had a laperoscopy operation to remove the stone and gallbladder a few days later.
I did have some bleeding after and needed transfusions twice in a week. 8 days after the operation I woke with the most awful pain on the top right side of my stomach going through to my shoulder. I was in agony but was told it was just wind from the laperoscopy and over the next few weeks it did start to calm down but took months to completely go. Also when this pain started I went yellow and my liver function tests were very high again this did calm down in time. All I was given at the time was very strong anti biotics that made me feel constantly sick. Now 12 years on I have started to get a pain just like the gall bladder pain, I went to see my doctor and had a liver function test it came back that my ALT was 91 it was repeated again last week and this time it was 97. I am sure now that the pain I had after my operation was not wind but a gallstone in my liver. I have mentioned this to the doctor and I am now waiting a scan. My question is can a stone be left in the liver and cause the pain I had and turn me yellow
and if so why has this started to bother me again after 12 years?
A stone can be present in the biliary ducts.  Another consideration would be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction which can present with gallbladder-like pain in those who have had their gallbladders removed.  

An MRCP can be considered to look at the biliary ducts.  If Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is considered, an ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry can be considered.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, liver stone was started.