Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stool Change and Mild Abdominal Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stool Change and Mild Abdominal Pain

A few months ago I switched to a high fiber diet (wheat bread and fruits) due to hemerhoid problems.  I then started having abdominal pain and soft, yellow-colored stools.  I stopped eating wheat bread and went to my general practitioner.  She said she though it was due to irritable bowel syndrome.  She ran blood tests (all came back fine) and told me to watch the stool.  It went back to its normal brown color, but the mild abdominal pain still remained.

Then just a few days ago, I bean having fairly soft yellowish-brown colored stools again.  I have an aapointment with a gastroenterologist, but it is not until March.  In the meatime, I'm really worried something might be wrong.  What could be causing yellowish-brown colored stools?  I'm worried it's a malabsorbtion problem related to Crohn's.  I'm not having any other symptoms other than mild abdominal pain and the abnormal stool.

Also, what tests should I expect when I visit the gastroenterologist?  I'm very nervous about the possibility of having a colonoscopy.

Thanks you,
Lisa
Yellowish or pale colored stools may be indicative of gall bladder disease or bile duct blockage.  The tests I would suggest would be liver function tests and an abdominal ultrasound - which can evaluate the gall bladder and liver.  

Regarding the colonoscopy - this sounds intimidating, but is a fairly routine test.  Medicine is given to help you relax.  Some patients say that the preperation (i.e. bowel cleaning) is worse than the actual test itself.  Depending on your age, your GI doctor may suggest a colonoscopy.  

If those tests are negative, then you may consider optimizing treatment for irritable bowel syndrome.  In addition to high fiber, you may want to consider antispasmodic agents.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation.  But rest assure things will get better.  I don't know what the problem could be but your GI doctor will probably want to do 2 to 3 test, Upper GI series, endoscopy, barium swallow and colonsocopy.  I've had the barium swallow test, its non invasive.  I have had similar symptoms to you, with same results and consideration from my GP.  Blood, urine, x rays and all test came back fine.  IBS is the suggestion.  What I have done is gone to see a Nutrient store, I am currently taking digestive enzymes, and Acidophilus probatic twice a day.  Acidophilus is very good for the digestive tract.  In the meantime check with a very good nutrient store and speak with your GP about natural herbs.  I'm am honestly back to normal, and I suffered crippling abdominal pain and poor bowel movements.

Best of luck to you
jakey2,

Thanks for your response.  But I am still very nervous.  Did you have to have the colonoscopy.  I've heard it is very painful and I'm terrified that I'm going to have to have it.

I wish I could be as calm as you.

Thanks,
Lisa
Hi, first of all its very normal to be nerves, I haven't been all that calm, either, (on a personal note, I just decide to pray and give it to the Lord.) which also has helped me.

No I did not do that test, its the only one I haven't taken, for obvious reasons.  I am though thinking about it.  What I've heard from many people is that it really isn't that bad, you are asleep through it and the prep is the worst, the day before because they make to drink this stuff and keeps you in the bathroom for most of the day.  The other reason why I haven't done it is because I feel better.  What I am doing is drinking at least 4 24oz bottles of water a day, Vit. C in the morning, 2 digestive supplements with every meal, and twice a day, first thing in the morning and right before bed, on an empty stomach, 2 tablespoons of acidophilus probotic.  I was in bed for 3 weeks in Dec, in the hospital 4 times, had several test couldn't work for 5 weeks, in constant abdominal pain, pinching, strain, feeling of constipation, etc.  However for the past 2 weeks now doing what I stated above I feel back to normal now.  So I am going to see how I am for a couple more weeks then make a final decision on the colonoscopy.
Don't worry, thats the worst thing you can do.