Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Strain in the Rectal Area
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Strain in the Rectal Area

2 years ago I was a healthy male of 59 walking 6-10 miles a day up 1500 feet.  While working out at a gym doing crunches I noticed weakness in the lower abdominal muscles.  2 days later I urinated and defecated blood.

My doctor had me get a colonoscopy where a harmless polyp was removed and I was diagnosed with hemorrhids.  Suppositories were recommended.

Over the next few weeks severe pain occured with each bowel movement.  Off to another doctor who diagnosed a fissure.  Recommendation: exercise and nitroglycerine or else an operation.  I was told the exercise I did had nothing to do with the fissure.  The procedure to see the fissure was exceptionally painful as the anus at that time felt bruised

I used ice to control swelling and Nupricainal to control the spasm the fissure slowly disappeared.  As the pain disappeared intense itching began and for a while I felt as if I had 'pimples' around the rectal area and even coming out of the rectum.  Over several weeks the 'pimples' disappeared, but not the itching which has gone on now for about 2 months.  The itching oftentimes awakens me at night and the only way to stop it is with ice.  With time I've noticed the itching comes on if I do any exercise that aggravates the back.  It can be exacerbated when sleeping if I roll from flat on the back to the fetal position (I assume I'm stretching the rectal area).

However, I still have no strength in the lower back when bending over about 5 degrees to 10 degrees.  I also have what feels like severe tendonitis in the hips.  If I try and walk quickly up hill, stair master, or slow sit ups the rectum and lower back becomes irritated.  I have had an x-ray for the lower spine which showed some arthritis (old news) but no apparent nerve damage.  I still have a mild spasm afer every bowel movement that generally last only 1-2 minutes.  If I have to vacate more than once per day the spasm will last longer.  The area of pain in the hips appears to 'migrate' with time to other areas.

Yesterday I tried to do some new rehabilitation exercises for the hips and while I was successful at the time.  An irritation in the lower abdoman slowly formed.  The rectum began to feel a burning sensation and later I had recatal bleeding lots of itching and stiffness in the back.

It appears as if there is a connection between the rectum and other muscles which had been strained 2 years ago and that when the connection is again strained, depending on the severity, I get itching in the weakened area, a spasm develops in the rectum, and some sort of nerve damage radiates out to the hips.   These symptoms were masked by the fissure and associated spasm for the past 1.5 years.

What do you think?