Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Stromal Tumor

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Stromal Tumor

My teenage daughter has just been diagnosed with stromal tumors in her stomach that are benign.  The doctors have said they will remove them but will take a significant portion of her stomach also.  The largest one is 4 centimeters and the smallest is 1 centimeter and they are not located all in one area of the stomach.  They say that after the tumor removal, she will be watched for new ones because they may come again.  Is there anyone who can offer me some information about this?  Is research being done to discover why this happens and to help prevent new tumors from developing?  So far the tests have shown no tumors in her chest area or pelvic area.  Thank you for any information for this worried mom!
You really need to research GIST.  Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors.  My mother was diagnosed in november with this in her stomach.  She was put on a test drug called GLEEVIC.  I highly recommend you looking into this drug.  It just came on the market in May 01.  She was on it for 5 weeks, it shrunk the tumor from 10" to 6".  She did have to have surgery, drastic removal of the entire stomach.  She is wishing that she stayed on the drug longer.  There is little information on this drug, however, you can do a google search and find it.  She has to test positive for C-Kit in order to qualify to take this drug.  Make sure that she is seeing a sarcoma specialist.  They seem to have the most experience in this rare type of cancer, even if it is benign.  Good luck, God Bless
A related discussion, stomach stromal tumor was started.