Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Sulfur/rotten egg burps with gas

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Sulfur/rotten egg burps with gas

I am 25 years old and for the last 10 years of my life, every month or so I get sick, starting with burps that taste exactly like rotten eggs (sulfur), extremely putrid, raunchy taste and smell.  Within an hour or so I have horrible diarrhea and usually I have to throw everything in my stomach up to get rid of this.  Whatever I throw up is always very strong smelling, like rotten eggs.  I did start taking tagament and fiber pills to regulate bowel movements and for a year I had no problem, now they are back with a vengeance no matter what I do. I miss a lot of work because of this, I've had tests run, doctors don't know what to make of it, others that I've found on the internet with this problem have gotten no answers.  It feels like this is some unknown disease that is incurable, and I don't know how much more I can take.  Please help, anyone!
I am having problems digesting meat products specifically chicken.  Also, I can not prepare meals with any oils or margerine.  The problem is foul ordors will persist until I pass my stomach contents.

i have exactly the same symptoms - although mine return every 7-10 days..my gastro has put me on flagel several times, and it eliminates the problem when i am on it and for around 2 months after i stop taking it, but it always returns...very frustrating
i saw that you had also posted in january that you were disgnosed with h pylori...did anything come of that? please email me at ***@****
Yes, I was treated for Hpylori and finished the antibiotics over a week ago, I'm still on Nexium, but the problem has returned, once while I was taking the antibiotics, and once after I finished.  I have an appointment with a gastrointestinal specialist next week, but I really don't expect anything to come out of it, no one seems to know what this is.  I doubt the Hpylori had anything to do with it as I've had this problem for ten years.
i have crohn's but it seems all my life i've also had your problem.  i thought i was just one of those that can't pass gas without clearing the room, then my doctor put me on colestid for diarea (diarrhea).  not only did it help the diarhes but the rotten eggs are completely gone.
A related discussion, Rotten egg, Hydrogen sulfide burps/vomitting was started.
A related discussion, rotten egg burps was started.
A related discussion, Why some times and not others? was started.
A related discussion, my 9 year old vomiting was started.
A related discussion, "Sulfur" burps was started.
A related discussion, Rotten Egg Burps and Gas, Bloatingq was started.