Surgery to correct reflux

I would like to hear from patients who underwent surgery to  correct the acid reflux problems. My Dr. informs me that I can eliminate all my reflux problems by having this surgery and that it can be done liposcopically. Comments can be posted in this forum - thank you all for this forum!

Mary from Texas
My husband had a Lap Nissen done by one of the leading surgeons in the country (U.K) for his Hiatus Hernia.
The op went well but three days later he started to feel ill and was eventually taken into hospital with peritinitis and had to have an emergency operation to save his life.  He is a pilot and will be off work for at least four months (though we're just grateful he is alive).  He still has a lot of pain from the Lap and can't eat large meals (it was 6 weeks ago) - the only positive thing is that he doesn't have reflux any longer, but what a price to pay.
My advice - unless there is no alternative do not have a Lap Nissen done!!
I AM 7 DAYS POST LAP NISSEN.  I'M HAVING ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH GAS AND BLOATING.  I AM DRINKING AT LEAST 8-10 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY. TAKING GAS-X AFTER MEALS AND EVEN TIRED BEANO.  NEED HELP.  I DON'T THINK MY HUSBAND AND I CAN TAKE MUCH MOORE.  PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ***@****.
An overwhelming number of these messages are about the misery of this procedure. I'm wondering if this ratio is because only the people who suffer bad results bother to write, or if the ratio of bad-to-good results is really reflected here. Does anybody have a good resource to get the facts about nissan fundoplasty?

email ***@****
Three years ago, at age 60, I was diagnosed with GERD.  Since that time I have been on a daily regimen of antiacids and 20 mg of prilosec. For the most part this has kept my GERD under control. However, recently, my gastric reflux has progressed to the point where I experience heartburn pain in the evening and thoughout the night. I have been considering Fundiplication surgery, but after  reading the comments of those who have had this procedure I think I'll try taking more antiacid and prilosec to solve my problem. This forum has very helpful.
My boyfriend and I have a hard time swallowing.We have to chew are foods very good before swallowing.Although he gets food lodged in his esaphagus-even when chewing good.It's happened alot lately.Yesturday he had a half a grape and got it caught in his throat.Tonight he's had a piece of chicken loadged for 5-7 hrs.He says it's caught,he can breath though.Still it is stuck,What should we do?He doesnt want to see a doctor. please HELP us...
Your husband could have a narrowing in his esophagus and I would strongly urge him to go see a doctor. The doctors may need to do an endoscopy, which is where they put a lighted tube down the throat to examine the esophagus. This is a simple procedure, which would be done while he is so heavily sedated he wouldn't remember any of it afterwards. I believe they can also remove food that's stuck by endoscopy. If he refuses to go see a doctor, he may literally choke to death someday.
I thought Propulsid was d/c by FDA for causing serious side effects.
This forum is definitely just the bad stories of Nissen Fundoplication. I had two of them. One in 1988 and the other in 1991. The first worked great for 2 years.The second worked for 9 years. I may have to have a third. If anyone is considering having the surgery, do not do the Laparascopic procedure. That is why everyone is having problems. It can't be done as well that way. Have it done the conventional way. It is much more effective.
My husband had this surgery 48 hours ago and so far so good.  He was on clear liquids for his night meal started on regular foods the next morning and is able to eat anything that he wants to without problems.  The doctor did not give him any food restrictions, they removed a large hernia and did the nissan surgery as he had terrible reflux and problems with vomiting when asleep.  He went through all the motility tests before had and was told he was an excellent canidate.  so far so good.
I HAD THIS SURGERY JUNE OF 99.   I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE IT A GAIN OR NOT.   I DON'T HAVE THE REFLUX ANY MORE  BUT I CHOKE, I'M BLOATED ALL THE TIME CAN'T GO ANY WHERE WITH OUT HAVING TO GO TO THE BATH ROOM.  BEFORE I COULD TAKE A FEW ROLAIDS AND I WAS OK.   NOW I NEVER KNOW WHEN AND WHERE A GUT ATTACK MAY HIT .

IF YOU HAD THIS SURGERY LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT
I underwent sugery for reflux and a persistant cough caused by the reflux over 3 years ago.  My chest discomfort and cough were gone for the 3 years after the sugery Nissen Fundoplication.  I have started the cough for six months after each meal that lasts up to 2 hours after eating.  I have had every test for reflux and each test did not show a significant amount of acid.  I was refured to an ENT doctor and he did the scope down my nostrils and into the esophagus and said he saw the reflux coming up every
30 seconds.  Now the question is do I have sugery again?  If I do the doctor says I will need to undergo the open sugery.
l have reflux disorder, l have had it for years.l am only 41 years old. Surgery is now being talked about. My heart burn is no worse, but l now have a tight feeling in my throat. l have no problems swallowing.lt almost feels like a tight band in my throat, that feels better when l do swallow.Has any one had any thing like this.l have not yet had a scope done, my reflux was discovered with a stomach exray. Does anyone have any advice on what l should do....(l am taking pantoloc which keeps my hurtburn under contol)
l have reflux disorder, l have had it for years.l am  41 years old. Surgery is now being talked about. My heart burn is no worse, but l now have a tight feeling in my throat. l have no problems swallowing.lt almost feels like a tight band in my throat, that feels better when l do swallow.Has any one had any thing like this.l have not yet had a stomach scope done,but have had one done in my throat from a throat specialist and he said everthing was normal.Reflux was discovered with a stomach exray. Does anyone have any advice on what l should do....(l am taking pantoloc which keeps my hurtburn under contol)Other than this dicomfort in my throat l feel great...
My Gastro Dr. has me on 120 mlgs of Prilosec a day.  I was wondering has anyone else ever taken this much?
I had the nissen done in Nov. 1998 and yes from aside the fact that I can't throw up, every thing seemed to be ok until May 17th,1999. I had to have my gallbladder removed and the surgeon cut an artery on the way out and did not know it. I almost bleed to death in the recover room. I was in the hospital for a long time and had many complications.I've had two surgeries since for scar tissue and I still get severe abdominal pain. I think the botched surgery may have effected the nissen. I get severe pain, and my body tries to throw up, but can't. I'm also experiencing food getting stuck in my esophagus. The doctors said that it could not be the wrap. Well they also told me that I could'nt have scar tissue and look, I've had two surgeries for it.No one can solve this as of yet. I go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, M.D. soon. I'm hoping that they can help. If there is anyone who has experienced anything similar, please respond back. I'm desperately wanting to solve this a go back to living a normal life again.
I have never been able to belch.  Several years ago I started makin very odd noises after I eat.  I sound like a moaning sea otter for maybe 3-4 seconds at a time, almost every minute, for about 15 minutes to half an hour after I eat a lot or eat fast.  I went to a doc recently who said it is probably reflux, and, with no testing, prescribed prilosec.  I am sooooo glad I haven't tried the drug, especially after reading some of the above comments.  I bet I would break out also.  I wonder though, if I am a candidate for surgery.  there are no other symptoms, other then a reduced capacity to drink, which actually helps me consume less alcohol, and a fuller feeling much earlier.
Did you all experience the same before being diagnosed and having surgical procedures?  thanks...
***@****.
My husband has had acid reflux for 13 years or more.  He is very uncomfortable and has tried everything.  He has been on prilosec and it does not even touch his heartburn.  He has been contemplating on having the surgery, but is very apprehensive.  Any comments would be very helpful, He is very concerned of how His condition will be after the surgery!
I have been told I have Barrets Esophagus and cancer at the junction of esophagus and stomach plus 2 stomach hernias. I have had what seems to be every imaginable test,[CAT scan, upper G.I.,EGD,Breathing strength, echogram, Ekg, thyroid , and soon will have the motility study. I am currently on Prilosec, Lassix, and Vasotec.] I have had rhumatic fever long ago,so they are trying to strengthen my heart, and I think the surgery will soon be rescheduled. First I have to retake some of the tests, as it has been more than 30 days before surgery as more things keep needing tested. I will be 70 on June 27th 2000 and I wonder if what I will go through will be worth it.  Any suggestions?
I have had acid reflux for years.  For years I vomited after eating meals.  I was in agony for hours on end with acid reflux.  I would take anything and everything I could to try to stop the burning, but nothing worked.Last January, I noticed that more and more I was waking up choking at night, for a long time I was suffering while eating.  Food did not want to go down well. Hurt to swallow.  I would wake up choking and it was scaring the living daylights out of me.  I went to a gastroenterologist. He started performing many tests on me.  The first was a scope. It showed in December,  that my tissue in my esophagus had changed. He said it was called barretts esophagus and told me right after the procedure that it was a serious condition.  He gave me many medicines.  Starting with prevacid.  No results!  I went back
complaining, the second medicine was prilosec.  No results!  He then was going to put me on propulsid.  But studies showed that this medicine was causing heart valve problems so he tried
a different drug, which was supposed to push the food out of my stomach.  I felt sick as a dog on this medicine.  My face felt wierd sensations.  I couldn't take it.  So back to the doctor I
went again!  He did a second scope in April.  This time my esophagus had developed lesions.  The condition was getting worse.  So now I was off doing more tests.  
This time it was a 24 hr. ph probe, a motility test.  I suffered with the 24 hr. probe, 167 acid refluxes.  Which I did not record.  I was feeling well on that day!  It had been so long since I knew what good was like, I actually was unaware of the 167 refluxes.The motility test was HORRIBLE!  I couldn't believe how bad that test was.  I was ready to say "enough" was enough!  But then realized that if I didn't do something about this, I was
going to suffer for the remainder of my life and never be able to eat well again.  I was choking while eating.  Twice an ambulance was called for me at work for choking. I was a good candidate for the fundoplication wrap.  I had it done May 4th, 2000. The doctor also fixed a hiatel hernia during this procedure. I am having some minor problems from this, but hopeful that I will get over them soon.  I woke up once choking, have had some heartburn. Also burping constantly. Is this normal?  But I am going to give it time.I think I have got myself into a mode of feeling so poorly, that I have forgotten what normal is.  I do however feel a tugging sensation in my chest.  Possibly where the wrap was done. Today when I swallowed the pain swallowing was just about where the stomach was wrapped. Very uncomfortable. I went today for a barium xray.  I have not heard the results of this yet.  I am so tired of feeling poorly.  As far as the lesions go, my doctor said now that the stomach is wrapped, the lesions should go away. Will there be further tests to watch these lesions?  I hope so.  I spent two nights in the hospital.  I was in a lot of discomfort after this surgery.  The doctor told me that I would feel weak for a long while after this procedure.  I do get tired fast. I have had some nausea, pain in my chest while swallowing. It is a new type of pain. Probaly where the wrap is stitched. The quality of life before was terrible. I am going to pray it gets better.  I am off work longer than I thought I would be.  The misery had been forever.  I am not pushing this!  I am going to pray this heals what ailed me!  Also, I am still on pureed foods.  When I swallow I feel that pain in my chest, like a tugging feeling. What is this?
I had the surgery 5 days ago.  So far, so good.  I am only eating liquid foods so far.  The surgeon asked me to keep taking my Prilosec for a week as a precaution to ensure acid doesn't irritate the surgery site.  As others in the forum have indicated, be sure to have the motility test.  Mine indicated that my overall esophagal strength was good but my LES was extremely week.  I did not have the ph test as there was no question of my reflux - I have had it for > 15 years and have been scoped at least 8 times.

I'll post again in a month or so.

My only observation is that the surgery is more painful and I am more weak than I thought I would be.  (I am a 46 year old male).

***@****
My four year-old son, Luke, had the surgury done 9 months ago and is doing wonderful.  Prior to surgury he was having trouble with food coming back up after eating.  Since the operation that has totally gone away.  He doesn't complain about heartburn and seems "normal".      

I am hopeful the proceedure will work long-term.  I can only cross my fingers because it seems there are a lot of people who have had bad luck too.  

As far as the surgury itself, Luke spent five days in the hospital followed by a month of eating soft foods.  Since then he eats what he wants and has no problem.  

Good luck to all of you.  If you live in Minneapolis, MN I can recommend a good surgeon.  

Daniel J. Pecka
I had this surgery 16 years ago. It spopped all heartburn and refulx but reduced ability to burp has caused a lot of problems. Each person will have a different outcome unfortunately.
I had recently undergone my first laproscipic nissen fundoplication 11 weeks ago.  Since that time I have had problems with severe esophageal spasms(spreading to my jaw, neck and entire chest) and vomiting (at least once a day) with meals.  I have tried nifedipide and reglan without much success.  I have been dilated twice which proved very benificial but ONLY for a day or so following the procedure, then I am right back to normal.  I have been given several opinions ranging from :1 - continue to wait it out and 2 - have the wrap revised to a partial wrap which is more easly tolerated.
I was hoping to hear from someone who underwent a similar scenario, find out what they did and how it worked.
I would really appreciate your input so please add it here!!!!!
Thanks,
Russ
I had the surgery a little over a year ago and doing really fine. No indigestion! I can finally sleep good at night. should have had the surgery 10 years ago.
I have GERD but no heartburn, only coughing. I am a candidate for the fundaplication.  Has anyone had the surgery because of a cough? Medication helps for a few weeks then I break through. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
I worked in the chemical industry for 35 years and I developed
a stomach problem in my 20s.In my 40s I was diagnosed as having a duodenal ulcer which disappeared when I trained myself to relax
and I had no serious problems except for one or two refluxes a year until February 2000.I found I could not get magnesium trisilicate tablets and the doctor prescribed Maalox then gastrocote.I suddenly had a violent explosion whilst driving pains down my arms and serious belching.
  At first I felt alright then I had pains in my chest when walking.I saw the doctor 3 times and was prescribed gaviscon then flew to Australia.I felt much better but still had pains when walking so I went to hospital.They put me in coronary gave me heparine and an angiogram and said i needed 3 bypasses.i flew home and was given an appointment to see a cardiologist in August.
  I have gradually improved and cannot believe I have serious angina but 4 weeks ago I started having unbearable pains in my stomach for no apparent reason which only went after 5 hours when I had a drink of ginseng and blackcurrant tea.They came back 4 days later even worseand it was only eating ice cream which brought relief,I had gradually less severe attacks over the next few days.
   I have found after experimenting that a drop of whisky with ice and a drop of water relaxes my oesophagus and clears the pain.
    I would recommend anyone with stomach problems to eat regular meals with plenty of fruit and vegetables.Do not eat between meals.Avoid stody food so your digestion can work a full cycle leaving your stomach to rest.I was told to eat often but that does not work for me.Let your stomach rest.Avoid anything irritant especially going to bed I just have two small whiskies now which relax me and make me feel sleepy.Sometimes coffee makes me feel better and sometimes worse.I am using that as a test.If it makes me worse I am drinking herbal teas of which ginseng and blackcurrant seems the most soothing,even better than camomile or ginger and lemon but you have to find out for yourself.Good Luck
My wife recently had laproscopic surgery for acid reflux caused by a haital hernia.  The surgery is called a Nissen Fundoplication and is typically a one-day surgery..  Although 95% of patients have a successful outcome,  my wife's stomach somehow became perforated and it went unnoticed.  Upon awakening from the anesthesia she was given a cup of water to drink and immediately cried out about a severe burning in her middle chest.  For three consecutive days the doctor okayed her discharge even though she was in severe pain and unable to drink or eat.  They discharged her on the fourth day and I had to take her to the ER on the evening of the 5th day.  As it turned out, the undetected perforated stomach had been allowing stomach acids to leak into her abdominal cavity causing severe peritonitis.  She was operated on that night and I was shocked when the surgeon advised it was so severe that she might not survive the night.  Her one day surgery ended up with her having to stay in the hospital 98 days and having to have a third surgery in the process.  She stayed in ICU/CCU on three occassions for a total of 48 days.  She had to be placed on a ventilator three times, an average of 16 days each time.  She also had to have a tracheostomy the last time in order to remove the vent tube from her larynx.
She is home now but is still having some minor complications.
During the second surgery, the Nissen had to be undone and can not be repeated.
She went through all of this, and is no better than she was beforehand.  And to make matters worst, the hospital just sent a bill for over $350,000.
The surgery is suppose to be safe most of the time, but I would recommend that it be a last alternative.
Hello.  it's 7/10/2000 and back in 1/2000 i ate some poisoned marijuana brownies.  I have had pressure feeling in chest ever since then.  I went to the ER twice and they dind't know what it was.  I went to two doctors after that, and they both said GERD.  They were stupid and said it was from my age/weight/diet etc, but I know and told them it was from the brownies!  They told me right back it was my diet and stuff.  They both were so stupid.  I think I do have a form of GERD but I think it's from the brownies.  It was really really bad at one point and I started watching what I ate and elevated the head of my bed and doing other things and it has actually helped a bit.  But it won't go away and I can't keep living my life like this.  I was so strong, I'm a big guy, very very powerful etc, but now I feel like a jerk, can someone help me please.  Tell me what to do, I want to live normally again.  Please help me!
I have had gerd all my life , I am now 57 . I also have a hietal hernia with a 2+ block ,acid reflux and i was told that my bottom sphinster is wide open.although my sister told me it has been wide open since my birth . i am concidering surgery but i don,t know of what kind i have been told that becasuse my bottom sphinster is wide open i am nt concidered a candidatefor any. my pain is now gone from a cold edge of steel running a open cut to waking up in the first two jours of sleep by a mouth full of stomach acid . what type of surgery can repair a wide open bottom sphinster with xeverly weakened muscle i have been on prilosec for five years . can anybody help me my e-mal address is ***@****
I ALSO HAD THE SURGERY. EVERYTHING WENT WELL AND I NO LONGER TAKE PRILOSEC. HAD THE SURGERY IN OCT. 1999. WHEN I WENT BACK ON SOLID FOOD, I STARTED HAVING ATTACKS OF CHRONIC DIAHREA. I HAVE HAD 3 BOUTS IN WHICH TWO OF THEM PUT ME IN HOSPITAL FOR DEHYDRATION. MY DOCTORS EXHAUSTED ALL AVENUES THRU ALL KIND OF TESTS AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING TO CAUSE PROBLEM.  I THEN WENT TO OSCHNER'S CLINIC. THEY HAVE DIAGNOSED THAT MY VAGUS NERVE WAS EITHER DAMAGED OR CUT DURING SURGERY. MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM AFTER THIS SURGERY.
Twenty years ago docors did a great jobwhen they gave me a nissen fund oplication. Now,they want to undo 50% of it as I can't burp (stomach opening is too tight). Has anybody experiences with such an operation?

Many thanks,

Peter Stam, Voorhout, Holland
Just like to say thanks to all who have e-mailed this site. You have given me a better insight into my newly diagnosed Barrets Oesophagus. I am taking 30mg of Zoton [Lansoprazole]daily which I imagine is similar to the Prilosec you speak of. The pain of acidity is no longer there but, more than a sandwich and I am still likely to get reflux. Thought at one time I was turning into a cow.  I was relieved to read that one gent has been on acid reducers for 5 years with no apparent ill effects. I am 64yrs old and have had a problem for many years but have only been on these Zoton for a year.If I can get another 5yrs of life , hopefully without it turning to cancer, then I will be well happy.Your letters have decided me not to go to my doctor seeking a quick possible cure. Seems its 50-50 on whether surgery helps or makes it worse.
anyone considering doing the fundoplication....DON'T DO IT!!
What a waste of time.  I had it done in May 1999, and since then my reflux is just as bad now as it was before.  My lesions in my esophagus are there.  They absolutely refuse to heal!  I am ticked because I took such a risk having this surgery done, and still have this agony.  I can't eat anything where I don't suffer tremendously.  I am in pain from the lesions, and getting no where with medicine.   A doctor told me the other day that had he known I was going to do this surgery he would have sat me down and told me not to do it.  He has not seen many successes from it.
ok what next?  esophageal cancer?  Anyone got any bright ideas on healing ulcers?  I bleed, sometimes run fevers.  But biopsies do not show bacteria.  I have taken all the medicines, purple pill, aciphex, prevacid, etc.  Nothing seems to help me that well.
I know that esophageal cancer is a slow process, but can anyone tell me what to do ...please?
I am considering funduplication for my 1 yr old daughter who has a huge hiatal hernia and severe reflux which has caused esophagitis.  She is on zantac which controls her acid so she won't throw up blood.  We have very difficult nights because this is when the hernia/reflux act up the most.  Niether of us sleep well.  I average 2-4 hours of sleep a night as I am constantly waking up to clean up her throw up which she does throughout the night.  I'm not crazy about keeping her on zantac as medication has many negative effcets such as leeching the body of important nuturients.  I feel that if surgery will correct the problem once an for all, we should just do it so that she does not suffer with this any longer.  However, some of the comments I'm reading here are scaring me.  I don't know what to do.  Because she's so little, she can't tell exactly how she feels.  What do people out there suggest?  Has anyone had experience with infants and funduplication for a hiatal hernia and reflux?

Vata
***@****

Vata
***@****

Vata
***@****
I had severe reflux for about 10-12 years and used baking soda (it was the ONLY thing that helped me) to relieve the pain.  I finally gave up and saw a young, eager, informed surgeon who put me on Prilosec.  This worked for about a year but at the time there were no long term studies on the drug and my doctor suggested a Lap Nissen Fundiplication.  This surgery was performed in August 1994.  I only stayed two nights in hospital. I have to admit I had a rough go of it for several weeks, having to eat baby food for awhile, feeling full after only a few bites. But I haven't had heartburn since the day of my surgery.  I could finally lie flat to sleep...Hell, I could finally SLEEP!  I'm a nurse so I don't usually look for a surgical intervention for a problem but I'm glad I got help when I did.  I'd do it all over again!  If your reflux is as bad as mine was, I highly recommend it.
Mary,
I had the surgery done liposcopically in March of 1999.
The surgery went fine, but the wrap was to tight so they went back in (liposcopically) and losend the wrap.  The reason they had to do this was because I could not swallow anything, even water would not go down without me vomitting. A month later they went back in, this time they could not do the surgery liposcopically so they made a 12 inch incision across my upper stomach and loosened the wrap even more. I now am scheduled to go back to the hospital on December 14, 2000 for an Endoscopy. The heartburn has come back and they have put me on Prevacid.
In the process of the doctors trying to get this right for me I had 10 Endoscopys done which took a tremendous toll on my body becasue of all of the IV's and also from being put under so many times. After the last surgery I ended up back in the hospital because I had dehydrated so bad because I could not swallow.
In my telling you all of this about me please understand that I am not downing the surgery.  My bosses son had the surgery done a month before I did and it was like a miracle for him, he can eat and drink what he wants and is very pleased with the surgery.
I too am facing the possibility of a redo of my nissen.  For a month post op I couldn't swallow a thing, not even water without severe spasm and it would just sit in my esophagus and not enter the stomach for hours.  Now two years later, food is still getting caught in the esophagus, and apparently the wrap was done tooo tightly.  I have had four dilations and was told that it could not be done again.  I may have to have the surgery, since I can't live with the severe chest pains and spasm.  Also I can't burp or vomit (and after a bout with the stomach flu, believe me, I prayed to vomit!).  I would like to hear from those who have had the wrap redone and find out what complications arose from a second surgery.
HELLO

please can you help me, I had a nissen fundoplicatio 17 months ago and a few months later had a dilation, the almost 3 months ago I had a gastric peg tube put in to help rid my stomach of air.  
And yet I still have severe chronic pain in my upper right abdoman quarter that works to the chest and down my arm and up my neck.  I can not burp or throw up.

Can you send me a list of all the complications that you may be aware of.  I am disabled and can no longer work.  I am on the max antidepressants and now I have lost my medical ins.  I a waiting to here on SSDI as I have gone through my savings and 401k.   Please help me

Thank you
BJ
HELLO

Thank you
BJ
HELLO

please can you help me, I had a nissen fundoplication 17 months ago and a few months later had a dilation, the almost 3 months ago I had a gastric peg tube put in to help rid my stomach of air.  

Thank you
Ski
I,ve had two operations, the first one was bad the second took
care of the problem completly and I feel great.
Choose your surgeon very carefully thats the best advice I know.
A related discussion, nissen fundoplication was started.
A related discussion, Nissen Fundoplication was started.
A related discussion, Hiatel Hernia was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?