Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Surgery to correct reflux

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Surgery to correct reflux

I would like to hear from patients who underwent surgery to  correct the acid reflux problems. My Dr. informs me that I can eliminate all my reflux problems by having this surgery and that it can be done liposcopically. Comments can be posted in this forum - thank you all for this forum!

Mary from Texas
I had the surgery,Nissan fundalplication, laproscopy, in Feb of this year.  It was not bad.  I had a 4 day stay in the hosp. and a little trouble with swallowing for a month, so they had to dilate my esophagus. Now I swallow fine. My only advice is to find out why you suffer from reflux before surgery. I did not and found out 4 months later that I have partial paralysis of my stomach, gastroparesis.  I now take meds to controll this. There are many causes of reflux the most common is a hiatal hernia.  Ask your doctor why you have reflux and have test to find out first.  
Sheila
Sheila is right. Find out why you have the reflux. If it is gastroperesis, medication can control this. You will need to have a gastric emptying test to determine if this is what is going on. If it is Hiatal hernia or just reflux without known origin, the Nissen Fundoplication will work fine. I have had two of them and they work fine. From the sound of it, Sheila may have been able to avoid the surgery had she known about the gastroperesis before hand.
Do all the research you can before undergoing such a procedure. I also had the nissen done laproscopically, and I had a terrible outcome also due to the fact that my reflux was being caused by gastroparesis and not a problem with the LES (lower esophageal schincter). I ended up having 5 operations to correct all the problems I had and nowe have gastroparesis even worse then before. Have entensive testing done and definitely a gastric emptying scan too. Had I known all this before hand, I would never had gone through the nissen to begin with.

Also find a good surgeon who doesn't just rush you into surgery. I thought I had a great surgeon, and he just made a poor judgement on doing the nissen on me. Good luck.
Carol
I also would like info on this invasive proceedure.  I am taking Prilosec and have been on it two months now.  The medicine helps me cope, but I still have severe swallowing problems at night.  I am also itching like crazy all over my arms, legs, back and stomache.  I am wondering if the drug is causing this reaction.  My doctor has looked down my throat with a camera, but only found a hatial hernia and some lessions. I do not know if the prilosec will cure this problem or will I have to take this itchy medicine all my life.
Gina,

Prilosec can cause itching and breaking out in some people. I have seen this happen to two very close relatives. If you are already itching and breaking out, I would not use this drug. I have seen what it can do.  You can break out all over your body, constant itching, and it can take almost a year to get it completely out of your system. My two relatives got so bad they were considering suicide because doctors refuse to believe the Prilosec was causing it.  The Cleveland Clinic finally confirmed it after months of vists up there.
I have a belching problem after drinking liquids and eating.Only lasts a few minutes. It is strictly air. no acidy taste.no pain. My Dr wants a gall bladder scan to rule out Gall stones. Can the Gall bladder be the cause of this condition. I dont smoke and Im on a low fat diet. take Cholesterol lowering drugs and glucotrol for type II diabetis. control.
Please advise
I am 27 years old and suffered tremendously from barrets esophagus, gerd and a hiatal hernia. I had nissen fundoplycation in January of 1999. I was in the hospital for one day. I am fine now & feel better than ever. I don't take any more medication and I never had heart burn again. i had a fantastic surgeon and excellent after care. Make sure that your surgeon sends you for a motility test on your esophaus because the surgeon needs to know how tight to make the wrap in your stomach. I almost lost all motility in my esaphagus and was very ill. Now I'm fine. I recommend having the surgery with a great doctor. You'll live a normal life.
I had Nissan-funduplication in May of 1996.  I had complications rsulting in open surgery in May of 1997 (the wrap had slipped up into my chest and an accompanying paraesophegeal hernia resulted.
I am currently having problems again ... but surgeons are unable to diagnose since symptoms and anatomy do not seem to correlate.

The procedure solved my reflux.  I needed it and would make the same choice again, but I am having problems yet unsolved as a result.
I to had the procedure this past May, I would say that 85% of the acid is gone.  My question to you all is, do you or did you ever have pain in your esophagus.  I am having very bad pain when I try to get out of bed, or when I press my hands together.

If anyone has a coment please respond.
Surgery to combat gastric reflux
how effective is it and what side effects expected
3rd degree
Chris    I also had the pain in the esophagus. It was worse when I got out of bed and with gas build up.  It was like a spasm. It gradually went away. It took about 6 months.  I get the pain very rarely now. if you have more questions for me you  can e-mail me at ***@****       Sheila
Mary,

My daughter underwent a Nissen Fundoplication approx. 13 months ago. At the time this probably saved her life as she was only 8 months old and was inhaling vomit in her sleep. However, in the last 2 months she has just started to vomit on a regular basis again (4/5 times per  night)... I have heard that Nissens in general is quite good and has a success rate of around 80%, so all I can say is that my daughter is probably one of the unlucky 20%.... I think, even going through what we are now I would recommend the surgery.

Good Luck
Darren Reevell
Please anyone that has had a Laparascopic Nissen Fundoplication, give comments.                        Thank You,                                   Nellie
I  had a partial fundoplication done in april , after three reflux free months, the wrap ruptured and moved up in my chest with an hernia, so i underwent the second laparascopic surgery this time a full nissen wrap. ( surgery took 6 hours and was very hard according to the surgeon) i was reflux free for a month and after i had again reflux. a lot of pain in my chest and throat. I did the ph test which showed reflux, but according to gastro ent. not enough to cause the pain i have. he send me to a cardiologist, i had stress cardiiolite test and yesterday a catheterization because there could be a problem, nothing found my heart was in excellent condition according to cardiologist. so here i am . taking aciphex and prilosec again and with a lot of pain. i had a endoscopie , which showed food in my stomach, eventhough i did not eat for 18 hours before the test, but the gastro ent. did not make a connection with my reflux, did anybody had the same results?? Should i have an open surgery to see what is wrong??
I had a lap nissen fundoplication done in March 99.  The surgery
went well and I no longer take meds.  The first 4 to 6 weeks I was on a soft food diet and lost about 15 pounds but gradually started eating again.  I'm glad I had the surgery since the meds didn't work for me.  I also had a hiatal hernia.  I have alittle trouble belching at times but suffer no heartburn.  I can now sleep better and eat the foods that I like.  I would recommend having all the necessary tests, (24ph, endoscopy,motility tests,etc.) done before the surgery to make sure it's the reflux causing your problems.  I also had a wonderful surgeon and good care at home.  Good luck to you if you decide to have the nissen.
I had the operation 2 yrs ago and it did help some but now I have another problem. I cannot eat everything that he said I would be able to, also I still have to take medication but there is a bright side  I can bend down to pick up anything without the worry or being sick.  What can happen with this operation and is one of the side effects is that you can develop difficulty in swallowing and eating some foods that are hard to digest. Ask your doctor what are your chances in developping this problem.  If he does the operation by liposcopically  you will recover a lot faster  and your stay in the hospital is not as long.  If he has a video on the operation ask if you can see it .  The video will help you do decide what to do.
I had the Nissen surgery 17 moths ago. All was well up until 1 week ago when I started having belching, pain in the center of my chest and shoulder after just about every meal. I had motility studies and gastric ph prior to surgery which were abnormal. I also have asthma, when I feel this way I take my inhaler which helps. This was the same before my surgery.
I am putting off seeing a physician since we have moved and I will not be able to see the surgeon that did my operation. I hate to start all over with this again but I know it is inevitable.
For now I started taking Axid again and being very careful of what I eat. Any advice?
Comment to Patricia:

I had a EGD (endoscopy) and also had food in
my stomach. I then went for a Gastric Empty Scan
which showed Gastroparesis (delayed emptying of the stomach)
I had reflux and burning in my stomach and nausea at
the time of diagnosis. If your stomach is not emptying
properly than the food sits and the stomach will continue
to produce acid which can cause pain,pressure and reflux.
Propulsid is a motility drug which helps stimulate the
stomach to empty,it may help? I would try getting a second
opinion with a diff. gastro Dr. Not all Drs look a things
the same and all have different experience. I would try
a teaching or university hospital in your area. Try to
find out who deals with motility disorders of the esophegus(sp?)
and stomach. Surgery is a big deal to your body, Id do some
homework before I try again. There is nothing wrong with
looking for the "best" dr you can find, your worth it, its
you body and your life. I wish you luck and hope you are
feeling better soon!
Jeannine ***@****
Thanks for your message about gastroparesis. I do have an motility disorder in my oesophagus ( due to the Bulimia) and also gatroparesis. I never had a gastric emptying scan befor the surgery. I take propulsid now and see for a while what is happening altough I think the propulsid makes me dizzy , do you have any reactions from the propulsid and how long did you take it?
patricia ( ***@****)
To Patricia for Jeannine:  I have been taking Cisapride, a prepulsid, since my last onset of motility reflux a few weeks ago (20 mg twice a day).  I have experienced dizziness from time to time as well but nothing significant.  When you feel drowsey just lie back for a while and take a nap.  I find if I ignore the drowsiness I feel dizzy. Good luck.
I was given Prilosec for acid reflex and an hiatal hernia.  Everything went well until I came down with Strep Throat, and one month later, the flu.  Now when I try to take the Prilosec I throw it back up, if I eat to much, it comes back up.  I don't have all the discomfort I had before with indigestion because I watch what I eat and when I eat, but I am confused on the vomiting?  I haven't been on the Prilosec since the Strep Throat. What do I do now?
Ive had surgery for a hiatal hernia caused by reflux, and I no longer have any reflux. I will never be able to vomit the  of my life. So if I ever get the flu or anything, it has to run its course thru. This is what my Dr. told me.  I had the surgery two yrs ago, and have no reflux since.
If your Dr told you you can not vomit ever again he must have done a terrible job on the surgery. This is not a normal result after having this type of surgery unless you had oher complications. I was told that if this were to happen after surgery it means they made the valve too small and it should be corrected by stretching it with a hose type appliance. I would see another Dr for a second opinion.
I am waiting to have a fundiplication, after suffering for 10 years with acid reflux PH test Demesster 66 and 127 (dubious result) My pain is maily in the middle of the back (very localised) and I now suffer severe periods of belching.

Motibility test OK, Endoscope clear.

Any similar experiences.

Best Wishes Frank
Comment to Barb and Pam.  I have had three fundoplicaton surgeries.  The last one was the open procedure.  I was also told that I would never throw up, and sure enough I can't.  It is awful to be so sick and not be able to throw up.  I was also told I would not be able to burp, but I have no problem doing that.  I guess everyone is different.  I have had a terrible time with nausea since my last surgery (Sept.).  Either food doesn't go into my stomach and I can throw up what is in my esophagus or it does go down and I get nauseated.  It seems you just trade one problem for another.  I've had enough tests and doctors to last me a lifetime.  Take care!
Monica
Dear Mary,
     No,  I have not had the surgery. However, I plan to very soon as well. I have severe GERD. I belch and regurgitate all day long. I, too, am very curious about the surgery. Would you do me a huge favor and send me a successful surgery story if you receive any? Thanks! Sincerely, Amy
Hi:  I also have acid reflux, Hietal Hernia, severe bloating and several other symptoms related to these issues.  I have heard about a surgery called a "fundoplication".  Would anyone that has had this surgery with good or bad results, please send an email to me.  This condition has existed for about 5 years now; no one else in my family has any digestive problems.  Stomach scopes have revealed a small benign growth at the base of the esophagus; which is biopsied yearly.  My sincerest sympathy and compassion to all that have this condition; and it is some comfort to read here that there are so many of us. Possibly if we raise the issue to our internists, LOUD enough, something can be done.  Thanks, Kat.
oops...email to ***@****    please use acid reflux as your heading or topic.
Well, I had the lap nissen fund. surgery 10 days ago and i am starting to feel better. I get to eat soft foods now, boy is that a blessing. I'm told it is too soon to know if the surgery has been beneficial to my symptoms as of yet. I do know that I am relieved to know that I can burp (wich I have done plenty of) and NO MORE PRILOSEC!!! I am still praying that this was the answer to my problems. The recovery wasn't to bad and was well worth it if it worked. Two days in the hospital and only liquids for 8 days.
I have been on prilosec for about 5 yrs. More recently I am on prevecid 15 mg. I am 40 yrs old. Am I good candidate for the corrective sugery. Or should I stay on these acid blockers forever. Can these pills be harmful to you? Doesnt your stomach need acid to digest food?

I under went reflux surgery on 9/3/99.  At first eveything went fine.  I didn't get anymore heart burn and I haven't had any vomiting.

On 10/10/99 I started to eat soft foods and then slowly went to solid foods.  I noticed that I was getting food stuck down the back of my esophagous.  I could feel my heart have palpatation.  Severe chest type pain which I went to the emergency room three times.  I was told that My heart appears to be normal.  Between my shoulder blades I get severe pain.

My primary care put me on a heart event monitor for three weeks.  I also had a heart cath done last Jan 27, 1999 which said I didn't have any blockage.  

I saw the doctor who did the surgery and he said that I should be happy that I don't vomit or have reflex anymore.

Last week I went to a new gastro doctor at the U Mass Medical Center in Worcester Ma.  He thinks that the wraping around my esophagous is to tight and may need to be stretch with the gastroscope.  I have to have a few x-rays first.

I wish I never had the surgery because of all the side effect's. It's only been 4 months.  I'm hoping the all the side effects will go away as time goes by.

All I can say is make sure you talk to many people who have had this surgery before you do it.  I would also make sure your doctor is good at this type of surgery and tell's you everything.  

This type of surgery can become a nightmare.  I don't know how to get help. If you know someone who can help me please write to me.  You have my e-mail.  

John S.    

I had severe gerd and hiatus hernia.  The reflux was causing terrible heartburn and chest pain.  On 1/15/99 I had a laparoscopic nissen fundoplication.  The procedure was incredibly painful, I was hospitalized for several days and sent home, only to be readmitted 2 weeks later for severe dehydration, due to the fact I was unable to eat or drink.  I had incredibly painful esophageal spasms, which also sent a searing pain into my left shoulder.  It is now one year later, and I just underwent my second endoscopic dilitation.  The wrap is too tight.  Food will not enter my stomach.  If this dilitation does not work, I may have to have the surgery again to loosen the wrap.  Be very careful when considering this surgery.  Many will tell you success stories, but just as many have had nightmare experiences like mine. I also am unable to vomit or belch, which can cause painful gas pains (can't drink anything carbonated).  If you are considering this procedure and would like to talk, you can email me at above address.

Diane
TO ALL OF THOSE CONSIDERING HIATAL HERNIA SURGERY OR SURGERY FOR REFLUX. DO NOT HAVE IT DONE. IF ONLY I COULD TAKE IT BACK. I'VE HAD THE OLD FASHIONED GALL BALDDER SURGERY, HYSTERECTOMY AND BLADDER TACK, AND NONE OF THEM NOR ALL OF THEM PUT TOGETHER CAN COMPARE TO THE PAIN AND SEVERITY OF THIS SURGERY. I HAVE NOW BEEN TO UNIV. OF TEXAS AND MAYO/ROCHESTER FOR HELP. I CANNOT EVER VOMIT. (THAT CONFIRMED BY DIGESTIVE DISEASE CLINIC, RADIOLOGIST DOING BARIUM SWALLOW AFTERWARDS, AND DOCTORS AT THE OTHER HOSITALS. MOST PEOPLE CAN'T. MY SURGERY WAS IN JULY 15TH. I COULD NOT EAT FOR THREE MONTHS. ALL I COULD GET DOWN WAS ORANGE CRUSH AND GRAPE JUICE. CONSTANTLY VOMITING, ONLY ALL THAT COMES UP IS A THICK CLEAR GOO! I HAVE SPENT 4 HOURS COUGHING, CHOKING VOMITING GOO AND HAD MY ESOPHOGUS SPASM FROM BOTTOM TO TOP POURING OUT THE GOO, AND COULD NOT BREATH. I COULD NOT CATCH MY BREATH. I ALSO NOW HAVE SPASTIC COLIN. UNDESCRIBABLE PAIN SO GREAT IT MAKES ME "VOMIT". LENOX IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL STOP IT AND IT IS NOT WORKING ANYMORE. MY  BODY HAD GOTEN USED TO IT. SO NOW I TAKE PREVACID INSTEAD OF PRILOSED, CARRY AROUND MY NAUSEA PILLS AND SPASTIC COLIN PILLS AND THE PAING IN MY CHEST THAT FEELS LIKE A HEART ATTACK, THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO FOR IT. FEELS LIKE GREAT PRESSURE AND A KNIFE GOING THROUGH THEM MIDDLE OF MY CHEST THROUGH MY BACK. THEN MY BACK ALL ACROSS KILLS ME. THE PAIN IS SO BAD IT MAKES ME "VOMIT" ALSO. THE ONLY RELIEF IS LYING DOWN. I HAVE NOW BEEN TOLD BY OTHER PEOPLE AND THE DOCTORS AT THE BEST HOSPITALS IN THE COUNTRY THAT THIS SURGERY IS STILL BUTCHERY, IT'S JUST DONE LAPROSCOPICALLY. THEY WANT TO KNOW WHO DID THIS TO ME AND WHY DID I LET THEM.
THEY SAY I HAVE VISCERAL HYPERSENSITIVITY NOW. I HAVE A CHOKING SENSATION, IT FEELS LIKE THE FOOD IS STUCK IN MY THROAT (OR MY PILLS), BUT THEY HAVE ALREADY PASSED THROUGH MY STOMACH. MY ESOPHOGUS JUST IS OVERLY SENSITIVE AND DOES NOT KNOW IT. EVERYONE'S COLIN SPASMS CONSTANTLY, THAT IS HOW IT WORKS. MINE JUST CAUSES UNBEARABLE PAIN AND DIAHRREA. NOW REACHING UNCONTROLLABLE. THREE MONTHS AFTER SURGERY I FELT LIKE I JUST HAD SURGERY. I COULD NOT MOVE FOR MONTHS. THE PAIN WAS UNBEARABLE. THESE PROBLEMS WILL NOT GO AWAY.
TAKE YOUR PRILOSEC. EVEN IF IT IS 4-5 PER DAY. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS SURGERY. IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK IN TIME.
IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER MEDICAL PROBLEMS, YOU ARE EVEN MORE LIKELY TO END UP LIKE ME.
PLEASE DO NOT DO IT.
PAM
I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your surgery. Maybe it was the Doctor who did the surgery and your own
individual symptoms and situations involving the reflux etc... I have talked to MANY people who have had the lap. Missen Fund. surgery and did not end up with what you did. They did actually get all or at least partiall relief from the surgery. Myself, it is too early to tell, but I pray that I did not make a mistake in having the surgery. It's been almost 4 weeks since my surgery and at about three weeks I was feeling like I was making progress. But, I have seemed to go backwards lately, with problems of my stomach churning after eating and excessive gas.
Also have lots of pain in my chest AGAIN, mostly on the left side and in the middle,front and back. I hope this isn't going to be a normal thing. Aren't there more success stories out there???????
I am 28 years old and am going in for partial fundiplaction surgery on 17th of feb. I've had reflux for around 10 years and have finally decided to go. My surgen is knowen in this field and I am feeling confident having waited 1 year to go into private cover. If anyone wishes to email me feel free on ***@****.  I would really like to hear more positive stories as well as the age of individuals who have had this as a "partial" fundiplication which is apparentlt a lot better with the side effects such as swallowing......Regards Michael Moras
three years agoe I under went the surgery for acid reflux.  Today it is backa and is as bad if not worst than before!  I'd like to be free of this problem myself!
I am a 35 year old female, that has had reflux almost all my life.  It progressively got worse and last year I had an endoscopy done which revealed Barrets Espophagus.  I then proceeded to go to several doctors for their opinions on the Nissen Fundoplication Surgery.  They were all in agreement that I should have the surgery, because stopping the reflux was important because of the risk of esphogeel cancer from Barretts.  3 months ago I had the surgery, and have never been the same since.  Everytime I eat approximately 15 minutes later I experience chest discomfort and left ear pain.  They can not give me any answers and this does not encourage me to eat.  I still get burning in my throat which was not suppose to happen anymore after surgery.  Can I now have esphogus problems, but the ear pain throws me.  It is only on my left side.  I am worried I will never be able to eat a full meal again.  I am sorry I had the surgery, but what choice did I have.  I am a mother with a 4 and 8 year old.  The alternative scared me more.  If anyone is feeling any of these symtoms (symptoms) after surgery, please write back of Email me at:  ***@****
Linda from New Jersey
Don't do it.  I had a Nissen Fundoplication on 21 Dec 99 and 7 weeks later am still in agony.  Still on soft foods, suffer from gas bloat (can't burp)and still not back at work.  Surgeon told me 2 weeks off work and 3 weeks on soft foods !!! Have been back to hospitala twice since.  Stay on medication to control it if you can.
dear mary,
get 2 or 3 other doctors to check u out....i've seen a friend after one type of surgery for reflux....he can barely eat...in pain....don't even know him anymore....saw a woman at the er one night...did not know her...went from a 14 to an 8 in less than 6months after surgery. could barely eat...could not throw up at all even when she had to...was doubled over and screaming in pain.  her mom said it was the worst thing shed ever seen...me i'll stick to my rolaids etc....i would like to loose weight...but not that way...........both my friend and this other lady had the same surgery....something about ppulling ur stomach up and attaching it higher up ur esopagus....not me.
QUESTION POSTED BY DESANKA ON FEBRUARY 10, 2000

I AM 46 YEARS OLD IN FAIR CONDITION. ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO I WAS
DIAGNOSED WITH ACID REFLUX AND I WAS ON ZANTAC, TAGAMET AND PEPCID AND NOTHING WORK. MY DOCTOR SUGGESTED A LAPOROSCOPIC
NISSEN FUNDOPLICATION SURGERY. I HAD A SURGERY ON 07/13/1998
I WAS OKAY AFTER SURGERY FOR THREE MONTHS. AFTER THREE MONTHS I STARTED WITH PROBLEMS I CANT EAT IF I EAT I BLOW UP WITH GAS THAT MAKES WORSE THAN ACID REFLUX. IN OCTOBER, 1998 I WAS
DIAGNOSED WITH H. PYLORI. MY QUESTION CAN H. PYLORI JUST GO
AWAY WITHOUT TREATMENT. ON JANUARY 31, 2000 STOOL TEST WAS DONE
AND TEST WAS NEGATIVE. AND I HAVE A QUESTION CONCERNING THE
SLOW EMPTYING OF THE STOMACH AND I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH FEELING FULL AND BLOATED AFTER EATING. AND I AM CONSTIPATED I DONT GO 5 TO 8 DAYS. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ANSWERS.
I am 27 year old white male.  Had nissen fundo-plication approximately 11 months ago.  The surgery reduced my heartburn by 90-95 percent.  I was taking two prilosec daily, max strength with little relief.  Without a doubt, the surgery affroded major improvement in lifestyle.  I still experience occassional heartburn and what feels to me like an esophogeal spasm from time to time.  Exercise helps tremendously.

I had the Nis. Fund. done 4 years ago and I consider it a total success.  I had the PH test first and thought it was the worst thing ever done to me, but having read comments here and in a lower topic, I'm glad I had it.  My surgeson required the motility study and the endoscope before he would decide if a was a surgical candidate.

I was an overweight 49-year old woman when I had the surgery.  I had was eating solid food within a week with meat within 2 weeks.  My only problem came from doing abdominal workouts too soon.

A work of caution to readers.  People with no problems don't come to these websites.  You are much more likely to hear disaster stories than success stories.  The only reason I'm here is that I'm looking for info on diverticulitis and decided to scan these messages for a friend with worse reflux than I ever had.  I have learned a lot that I will pass on to him.

Good luck to all of you.
I had laparoscopic nissen fundoplication to correct a weak lower esophageal sphincter, the cause of my reflux condition. A hiatal hernia was repaired also.  Today I am 12 days post-op and feeling great. By day 8 I had practically no discomfort at all.
I've discontinued my Prevacid medication altogether for the 1st time in 2 years.

I'd recommend Dr. Scott Swanson at Brigham & Women's Hospital (Boston) to anyone considering the surgery.
Alot of what I read in this forum sounds familiar to the symptoms I have.My doctor has told me that I have GERD plus a hiatal hernia plus Barretts.My symptoms seem to come and go at will. Very rarely do I have the severe acid attacks,but when I do,they're killers.In the past they have usually went away in a couple of hours.After my last endoscopy in January,I went from 1 prilosec a day to 2.Just a few days ago I got one that lasted over eight hours.Antacid tablets got it to ease off for a bit,but as they wore off,it got worse again.Over the next few hours it eased back to plain indigestion,then went away.Very often,I have the lump in my throat,frequently the gas pains in the chest.I had the gastric-emptying test and it came back abnormal.The 24ph comes next week.My doctor reccommends the surgery.Does anybody here have the symptoms come and go like this?It seems to me that most have it worse.But when it hits me,it hits hard and fast.
I am just looking into all of this.
Your e-mails don't look to promising.
I also have thyroid disease any one out there with
Acid-Reflux and a messed up thyroid????
My husband had a Lap Nissen done by one of the leading surgeons in the country (U.K) for his Hiatus Hernia.
The op went well but three days later he started to feel ill and was eventually taken into hospital with peritinitis and had to have an emergency operation to save his life.  He is a pilot and will be off work for at least four months (though we're just grateful he is alive).  He still has a lot of pain from the Lap and can't eat large meals (it was 6 weeks ago) - the only positive thing is that he doesn't have reflux any longer, but what a price to pay.
My advice - unless there is no alternative do not have a Lap Nissen done!!
I AM 7 DAYS POST LAP NISSEN.  I'M HAVING ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH GAS AND BLOATING.  I AM DRINKING AT LEAST 8-10 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY. TAKING GAS-X AFTER MEALS AND EVEN TIRED BEANO.  NEED HELP.  I DON'T THINK MY HUSBAND AND I CAN TAKE MUCH MOORE.  PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ***@****.
An overwhelming number of these messages are about the misery of this procedure. I'm wondering if this ratio is because only the people who suffer bad results bother to write, or if the ratio of bad-to-good results is really reflected here. Does anybody have a good resource to get the facts about nissan fundoplasty?

email ***@****
Three years ago, at age 60, I was diagnosed with GERD.  Since that time I have been on a daily regimen of antiacids and 20 mg of prilosec. For the most part this has kept my GERD under control. However, recently, my gastric reflux has progressed to the point where I experience heartburn pain in the evening and thoughout the night. I have been considering Fundiplication surgery, but after  reading the comments of those who have had this procedure I think I'll try taking more antiacid and prilosec to solve my problem. This forum has very helpful.
My boyfriend and I have a hard time swallowing.We have to chew are foods very good before swallowing.Although he gets food lodged in his esaphagus-even when chewing good.It's happened alot lately.Yesturday he had a half a grape and got it caught in his throat.Tonight he's had a piece of chicken loadged for 5-7 hrs.He says it's caught,he can breath though.Still it is stuck,What should we do?He doesnt want to see a doctor. please HELP us...
Your husband could have a narrowing in his esophagus and I would strongly urge him to go see a doctor. The doctors may need to do an endoscopy, which is where they put a lighted tube down the throat to examine the esophagus. This is a simple procedure, which would be done while he is so heavily sedated he wouldn't remember any of it afterwards. I believe they can also remove food that's stuck by endoscopy. If he refuses to go see a doctor, he may literally choke to death someday.
I thought Propulsid was d/c by FDA for causing serious side effects.
This forum is definitely just the bad stories of Nissen Fundoplication. I had two of them. One in 1988 and the other in 1991. The first worked great for 2 years.The second worked for 9 years. I may have to have a third. If anyone is considering having the surgery, do not do the Laparascopic procedure. That is why everyone is having problems. It can't be done as well that way. Have it done the conventional way. It is much more effective.
My husband had this surgery 48 hours ago and so far so good.  He was on clear liquids for his night meal started on regular foods the next morning and is able to eat anything that he wants to without problems.  The doctor did not give him any food restrictions, they removed a large hernia and did the nissan surgery as he had terrible reflux and problems with vomiting when asleep.  He went through all the motility tests before had and was told he was an excellent canidate.  so far so good.
I HAD THIS SURGERY JUNE OF 99.   I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE IT A GAIN OR NOT.   I DON'T HAVE THE REFLUX ANY MORE  BUT I CHOKE, I'M BLOATED ALL THE TIME CAN'T GO ANY WHERE WITH OUT HAVING TO GO TO THE BATH ROOM.  BEFORE I COULD TAKE A FEW ROLAIDS AND I WAS OK.   NOW I NEVER KNOW WHEN AND WHERE A GUT ATTACK MAY HIT .

IF YOU HAD THIS SURGERY LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT
I underwent sugery for reflux and a persistant cough caused by the reflux over 3 years ago.  My chest discomfort and cough were gone for the 3 years after the sugery Nissen Fundoplication.  I have started the cough for six months after each meal that lasts up to 2 hours after eating.  I have had every test for reflux and each test did not show a significant amount of acid.  I was refured to an ENT doctor and he did the scope down my nostrils and into the esophagus and said he saw the reflux coming up every
30 seconds.  Now the question is do I have sugery again?  If I do the doctor says I will need to undergo the open sugery.
l have reflux disorder, l have had it for years.l am only 41 years old. Surgery is now being talked about. My heart burn is no worse, but l now have a tight feeling in my throat. l have no problems swallowing.lt almost feels like a tight band in my throat, that feels better when l do swallow.Has any one had any thing like this.l have not yet had a scope done, my reflux was discovered with a stomach exray. Does anyone have any advice on what l should do....(l am taking pantoloc which keeps my hurtburn under contol)
l have reflux disorder, l have had it for years.l am  41 years old. Surgery is now being talked about. My heart burn is no worse, but l now have a tight feeling in my throat. l have no problems swallowing.lt almost feels like a tight band in my throat, that feels better when l do swallow.Has any one had any thing like this.l have not yet had a stomach scope done,but have had one done in my throat from a throat specialist and he said everthing was normal.Reflux was discovered with a stomach exray. Does anyone have any advice on what l should do....(l am taking pantoloc which keeps my hurtburn under contol)Other than this dicomfort in my throat l feel great...
I had the nissen done in Nov. 1998 and yes from aside the fact that I can't throw up, every thing seemed to be ok until May 17th,1999. I had to have my gallbladder removed and the surgeon cut an artery on the way out and did not know it. I almost bleed to death in the recover room. I was in the hospital for a long time and had many complications.I've had two surgeries since for scar tissue and I still get severe abdominal pain. I think the botched surgery may have effected the nissen. I get severe pain, and my body tries to throw up, but can't. I'm also experiencing food getting stuck in my esophagus. The doctors said that it could not be the wrap. Well they also told me that I could'nt have scar tissue and look, I've had two surgeries for it.No one can solve this as of yet. I go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, M.D. soon. I'm hoping that they can help. If there is anyone who has experienced anything similar, please respond back. I'm desperately wanting to solve this a go back to living a normal life again.
My Gastro Dr. has me on 120 mlgs of Prilosec a day.  I was wondering has anyone else ever taken this much?
I have never been able to belch.  Several years ago I started makin very odd noises after I eat.  I sound like a moaning sea otter for maybe 3-4 seconds at a time, almost every minute, for about 15 minutes to half an hour after I eat a lot or eat fast.  I went to a doc recently who said it is probably reflux, and, with no testing, prescribed prilosec.  I am sooooo glad I haven't tried the drug, especially after reading some of the above comments.  I bet I would break out also.  I wonder though, if I am a candidate for surgery.  there are no other symptoms, other then a reduced capacity to drink, which actually helps me consume less alcohol, and a fuller feeling much earlier.
Did you all experience the same before being diagnosed and having surgical procedures?  thanks...
***@****.
My husband has had acid reflux for 13 years or more.  He is very uncomfortable and has tried everything.  He has been on prilosec and it does not even touch his heartburn.  He has been contemplating on having the surgery, but is very apprehensive.  Any comments would be very helpful, He is very concerned of how His condition will be after the surgery!
I have been told I have Barrets Esophagus and cancer at the junction of esophagus and stomach plus 2 stomach hernias. I have had what seems to be every imaginable test,[CAT scan, upper G.I.,EGD,Breathing strength, echogram, Ekg, thyroid , and soon will have the motility study. I am currently on Prilosec, Lassix, and Vasotec.] I have had rhumatic fever long ago,so they are trying to strengthen my heart, and I think the surgery will soon be rescheduled. First I have to retake some of the tests, as it has been more than 30 days before surgery as more things keep needing tested. I will be 70 on June 27th 2000 and I wonder if what I will go through will be worth it.  Any suggestions?
I have had acid reflux for years.  For years I vomited after eating meals.  I was in agony for hours on end with acid reflux.  I would take anything and everything I could to try to stop the burning, but nothing worked.Last January, I noticed that more and more I was waking up choking at night, for a long time I was suffering while eating.  Food did not want to go down well. Hurt to swallow.  I would wake up choking and it was scaring the living daylights out of me.  I went to a gastroenterologist. He started performing many tests on me.  The first was a scope. It showed in December,  that my tissue in my esophagus had changed. He said it was called barretts esophagus and told me right after the procedure that it was a serious condition.  He gave me many medicines.  Starting with prevacid.  No results!  I went back
complaining, the second medicine was prilosec.  No results!  He then was going to put me on propulsid.  But studies showed that this medicine was causing heart valve problems so he tried
a different drug, which was supposed to push the food out of my stomach.  I felt sick as a dog on this medicine.  My face felt wierd sensations.  I couldn't take it.  So back to the doctor I
went again!  He did a second scope in April.  This time my esophagus had developed lesions.  The condition was getting worse.  So now I was off doing more tests.  
This time it was a 24 hr. ph probe, a motility test.  I suffered with the 24 hr. probe, 167 acid refluxes.  Which I did not record.  I was feeling well on that day!  It had been so long since I knew what good was like, I actually was unaware of the 167 refluxes.The motility test was HORRIBLE!  I couldn't believe how bad that test was.  I was ready to say "enough" was enough!  But then realized that if I didn't do something about this, I was
going to suffer for the remainder of my life and never be able to eat well again.  I was choking while eating.  Twice an ambulance was called for me at work for choking. I was a good candidate for the fundoplication wrap.  I had it done May 4th, 2000. The doctor also fixed a hiatel hernia during this procedure. I am having some minor problems from this, but hopeful that I will get over them soon.  I woke up once choking, have had some heartburn. Also burping constantly. Is this normal?  But I am going to give it time.I think I have got myself into a mode of feeling so poorly, that I have forgotten what normal is.  I do however feel a tugging sensation in my chest.  Possibly where the wrap was done. Today when I swallowed the pain swallowing was just about where the stomach was wrapped. Very uncomfortable. I went today for a barium xray.  I have not heard the results of this yet.  I am so tired of feeling poorly.  As far as the lesions go, my doctor said now that the stomach is wrapped, the lesions should go away. Will there be further tests to watch these lesions?  I hope so.  I spent two nights in the hospital.  I was in a lot of discomfort after this surgery.  The doctor told me that I would feel weak for a long while after this procedure.  I do get tired fast. I have had some nausea, pain in my chest while swallowing. It is a new type of pain. Probaly where the wrap is stitched. The quality of life before was terrible. I am going to pray it gets better.  I am off work longer than I thought I would be.  The misery had been forever.  I am not pushing this!  I am going to pray this heals what ailed me!  Also, I am still on pureed foods.  When I swallow I feel that pain in my chest, like a tugging feeling. What is this?
I had the surgery 5 days ago.  So far, so good.  I am only eating liquid foods so far.  The surgeon asked me to keep taking my Prilosec for a week as a precaution to ensure acid doesn't irritate the surgery site.  As others in the forum have indicated, be sure to have the motility test.  Mine indicated that my overall esophagal strength was good but my LES was extremely week.  I did not have the ph test as there was no question of my reflux - I have had it for > 15 years and have been scoped at least 8 times.

I'll post again in a month or so.

My only observation is that the surgery is more painful and I am more weak than I thought I would be.  (I am a 46 year old male).

***@****
My four year-old son, Luke, had the surgury done 9 months ago and is doing wonderful.  Prior to surgury he was having trouble with food coming back up after eating.  Since the operation that has totally gone away.  He doesn't complain about heartburn and seems "normal".      

I am hopeful the proceedure will work long-term.  I can only cross my fingers because it seems there are a lot of people who have had bad luck too.  

As far as the surgury itself, Luke spent five days in the hospital followed by a month of eating soft foods.  Since then he eats what he wants and has no problem.  

Good luck to all of you.  If you live in Minneapolis, MN I can recommend a good surgeon.  

Daniel J. Pecka
I had this surgery 16 years ago. It spopped all heartburn and refulx but reduced ability to burp has caused a lot of problems. Each person will have a different outcome unfortunately.
I had recently undergone my first laproscipic nissen fundoplication 11 weeks ago.  Since that time I have had problems with severe esophageal spasms(spreading to my jaw, neck and entire chest) and vomiting (at least once a day) with meals.  I have tried nifedipide and reglan without much success.  I have been dilated twice which proved very benificial but ONLY for a day or so following the procedure, then I am right back to normal.  I have been given several opinions ranging from :1 - continue to wait it out and 2 - have the wrap revised to a partial wrap which is more easly tolerated.
I was hoping to hear from someone who underwent a similar scenario, find out what they did and how it worked.
I would really appreciate your input so please add it here!!!!!
Thanks,
Russ
I had the surgery a little over a year ago and doing really fine. No indigestion! I can finally sleep good at night. should have had the surgery 10 years ago.
I have GERD but no heartburn, only coughing. I am a candidate for the fundaplication.  Has anyone had the surgery because of a cough? Medication helps for a few weeks then I break through. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
I worked in the chemical industry for 35 years and I developed
a stomach problem in my 20s.In my 40s I was diagnosed as having a duodenal ulcer which disappeared when I trained myself to relax
and I had no serious problems except for one or two refluxes a year until February 2000.I found I could not get magnesium trisilicate tablets and the doctor prescribed Maalox then gastrocote.I suddenly had a violent explosion whilst driving pains down my arms and serious belching.
  At first I felt alright then I had pains in my chest when walking.I saw the doctor 3 times and was prescribed gaviscon then flew to Australia.I felt much better but still had pains when walking so I went to hospital.They put me in coronary gave me heparine and an angiogram and said i needed 3 bypasses.i flew home and was given an appointment to see a cardiologist in August.
  I have gradually improved and cannot believe I have serious angina but 4 weeks ago I started having unbearable pains in my stomach for no apparent reason which only went after 5 hours when I had a drink of ginseng and blackcurrant tea.They came back 4 days later even worseand it was only eating ice cream which brought relief,I had gradually less severe attacks over the next few days.
   I have found after experimenting that a drop of whisky with ice and a drop of water relaxes my oesophagus and clears the pain.
    I would recommend anyone with stomach problems to eat regular meals with plenty of fruit and vegetables.Do not eat between meals.Avoid stody food so your digestion can work a full cycle leaving your stomach to rest.I was told to eat often but that does not work for me.Let your stomach rest.Avoid anything irritant especially going to bed I just have two small whiskies now which relax me and make me feel sleepy.Sometimes coffee makes me feel better and sometimes worse.I am using that as a test.If it makes me worse I am drinking herbal teas of which ginseng and blackcurrant seems the most soothing,even better than camomile or ginger and lemon but you have to find out for yourself.Good Luck
My wife recently had laproscopic surgery for acid reflux caused by a haital hernia.  The surgery is called a Nissen Fundoplication and is typically a one-day surgery..  Although 95% of patients have a successful outcome,  my wife's stomach somehow became perforated and it went unnoticed.  Upon awakening from the anesthesia she was given a cup of water to drink and immediately cried out about a severe burning in her middle chest.  For three consecutive days the doctor okayed her discharge even though she was in severe pain and unable to drink or eat.  They discharged her on the fourth day and I had to take her to the ER on the evening of the 5th day.  As it turned out, the undetected perforated stomach had been allowing stomach acids to leak into her abdominal cavity causing severe peritonitis.  She was operated on that night and I was shocked when the surgeon advised it was so severe that she might not survive the night.  Her one day surgery ended up with her having to stay in the hospital 98 days and having to have a third surgery in the process.  She stayed in ICU/CCU on three occassions for a total of 48 days.  She had to be placed on a ventilator three times, an average of 16 days each time.  She also had to have a tracheostomy the last time in order to remove the vent tube from her larynx.
She is home now but is still having some minor complications.
During the second surgery, the Nissen had to be undone and can not be repeated.
She went through all of this, and is no better than she was beforehand.  And to make matters worst, the hospital just sent a bill for over $350,000.
The surgery is suppose to be safe most of the time, but I would recommend that it be a last alternative.
Hello.  it's 7/10/2000 and back in 1/2000 i ate some poisoned marijuana brownies.  I have had pressure feeling in chest ever since then.  I went to the ER twice and they dind't know what it was.  I went to two doctors after that, and they both said GERD.  They were stupid and said it was from my age/weight/diet etc, but I know and told them it was from the brownies!  They told me right back it was my diet and stuff.  They both were so stupid.  I think I do have a form of GERD but I think it's from the brownies.  It was really really bad at one point and I started watching what I ate and elevated the head of my bed and doing other things and it has actually helped a bit.  But it won't go away and I can't keep living my life like this.  I was so strong, I'm a big guy, very very powerful etc, but now I feel like a jerk, can someone help me please.  Tell me what to do, I want to live normally again.  Please help me!
I have had gerd all my life , I am now 57 . I also have a hietal hernia with a 2+ block ,acid reflux and i was told that my bottom sphinster is wide open.although my sister told me it has been wide open since my birth . i am concidering surgery but i don,t know of what kind i have been told that becasuse my bottom sphinster is wide open i am nt concidered a candidatefor any. my pain is now gone from a cold edge of steel running a open cut to waking up in the first two jours of sleep by a mouth full of stomach acid . what type of surgery can repair a wide open bottom sphinster with xeverly weakened muscle i have been on prilosec for five years . can anybody help me my e-mal address is ***@****
I ALSO HAD THE SURGERY. EVERYTHING WENT WELL AND I NO LONGER TAKE PRILOSEC. HAD THE SURGERY IN OCT. 1999. WHEN I WENT BACK ON SOLID FOOD, I STARTED HAVING ATTACKS OF CHRONIC DIAHREA. I HAVE HAD 3 BOUTS IN WHICH TWO OF THEM PUT ME IN HOSPITAL FOR DEHYDRATION. MY DOCTORS EXHAUSTED ALL AVENUES THRU ALL KIND OF TESTS AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING TO CAUSE PROBLEM.  I THEN WENT TO OSCHNER'S CLINIC. THEY HAVE DIAGNOSED THAT MY VAGUS NERVE WAS EITHER DAMAGED OR CUT DURING SURGERY. MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM AFTER THIS SURGERY.
Twenty years ago docors did a great jobwhen they gave me a nissen fund oplication. Now,they want to undo 50% of it as I can't burp (stomach opening is too tight). Has anybody experiences with such an operation?

Many thanks,

Peter Stam, Voorhout, Holland
Just like to say thanks to all who have e-mailed this site. You have given me a better insight into my newly diagnosed Barrets Oesophagus. I am taking 30mg of Zoton [Lansoprazole]daily which I imagine is similar to the Prilosec you speak of. The pain of acidity is no longer there but, more than a sandwich and I am still likely to get reflux. Thought at one time I was turning into a cow.  I was relieved to read that one gent has been on acid reducers for 5 years with no apparent ill effects. I am 64yrs old and have had a problem for many years but have only been on these Zoton for a year.If I can get another 5yrs of life , hopefully without it turning to cancer, then I will be well happy.Your letters have decided me not to go to my doctor seeking a quick possible cure. Seems its 50-50 on whether surgery helps or makes it worse.
anyone considering doing the fundoplication....DON'T DO IT!!
What a waste of time.  I had it done in May 1999, and since then my reflux is just as bad now as it was before.  My lesions in my esophagus are there.  They absolutely refuse to heal!  I am ticked because I took such a risk having this surgery done, and still have this agony.  I can't eat anything where I don't suffer tremendously.  I am in pain from the lesions, and getting no where with medicine.   A doctor told me the other day that had he known I was going to do this surgery he would have sat me down and told me not to do it.  He has not seen many successes from it.
ok what next?  esophageal cancer?  Anyone got any bright ideas on healing ulcers?  I bleed, sometimes run fevers.  But biopsies do not show bacteria.  I have taken all the medicines, purple pill, aciphex, prevacid, etc.  Nothing seems to help me that well.
I know that esophageal cancer is a slow process, but can anyone tell me what to do ...please?
I am considering funduplication for my 1 yr old daughter who has a huge hiatal hernia and severe reflux which has caused esophagitis.  She is on zantac which controls her acid so she won't throw up blood.  We have very difficult nights because this is when the hernia/reflux act up the most.  Niether of us sleep well.  I average 2-4 hours of sleep a night as I am constantly waking up to clean up her throw up which she does throughout the night.  I'm not crazy about keeping her on zantac as medication has many negative effcets such as leeching the body of important nuturients.  I feel that if surgery will correct the problem once an for all, we should just do it so that she does not suffer with this any longer.  However, some of the comments I'm reading here are scaring me.  I don't know what to do.  Because she's so little, she can't tell exactly how she feels.  What do people out there suggest?  Has anyone had experience with infants and funduplication for a hiatal hernia and reflux?

Vata
***@****

Vata
***@****

Vata
***@****
I had severe reflux for about 10-12 years and used baking soda (it was the ONLY thing that helped me) to relieve the pain.  I finally gave up and saw a young, eager, informed surgeon who put me on Prilosec.  This worked for about a year but at the time there were no long term studies on the drug and my doctor suggested a Lap Nissen Fundiplication.  This surgery was performed in August 1994.  I only stayed two nights in hospital. I have to admit I had a rough go of it for several weeks, having to eat baby food for awhile, feeling full after only a few bites. But I haven't had heartburn since the day of my surgery.  I could finally lie flat to sleep...Hell, I could finally SLEEP!  I'm a nurse so I don't usually look for a surgical intervention for a problem but I'm glad I got help when I did.  I'd do it all over again!  If your reflux is as bad as mine was, I highly recommend it.
Mary,
I had the surgery done liposcopically in March of 1999.
The surgery went fine, but the wrap was to tight so they went back in (liposcopically) and losend the wrap.  The reason they had to do this was because I could not swallow anything, even water would not go down without me vomitting. A month later they went back in, this time they could not do the surgery liposcopically so they made a 12 inch incision across my upper stomach and loosened the wrap even more. I now am scheduled to go back to the hospital on December 14, 2000 for an Endoscopy. The heartburn has come back and they have put me on Prevacid.
In the process of the doctors trying to get this right for me I had 10 Endoscopys done which took a tremendous toll on my body becasue of all of the IV's and also from being put under so many times. After the last surgery I ended up back in the hospital because I had dehydrated so bad because I could not swallow.
In my telling you all of this about me please understand that I am not downing the surgery.  My bosses son had the surgery done a month before I did and it was like a miracle for him, he can eat and drink what he wants and is very pleased with the surgery.
I too am facing the possibility of a redo of my nissen.  For a month post op I couldn't swallow a thing, not even water without severe spasm and it would just sit in my esophagus and not enter the stomach for hours.  Now two years later, food is still getting caught in the esophagus, and apparently the wrap was done tooo tightly.  I have had four dilations and was told that it could not be done again.  I may have to have the surgery, since I can't live with the severe chest pains and spasm.  Also I can't burp or vomit (and after a bout with the stomach flu, believe me, I prayed to vomit!).  I would like to hear from those who have had the wrap redone and find out what complications arose from a second surgery.
HELLO

please can you help me, I had a nissen fundoplicatio 17 months ago and a few months later had a dilation, the almost 3 months ago I had a gastric peg tube put in to help rid my stomach of air.  
And yet I still have severe chronic pain in my upper right abdoman quarter that works to the chest and down my arm and up my neck.  I can not burp or throw up.

Can you send me a list of all the complications that you may be aware of.  I am disabled and can no longer work.  I am on the max antidepressants and now I have lost my medical ins.  I a waiting to here on SSDI as I have gone through my savings and 401k.   Please help me

Thank you
BJ
HELLO

Thank you
BJ
HELLO

please can you help me, I had a nissen fundoplication 17 months ago and a few months later had a dilation, the almost 3 months ago I had a gastric peg tube put in to help rid my stomach of air.  

Thank you
Ski
I,ve had two operations, the first one was bad the second took
care of the problem completly and I feel great.
Choose your surgeon very carefully thats the best advice I know.
A related discussion, nissen fundoplication was started.
A related discussion, Nissen Fundoplication was started.
A related discussion, Hiatel Hernia was started.