Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Swallowing Difficulties
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swallowing Difficulties

Posted By  HFHSM.D.-jg on March 25, 1998 at 07:14:43:

In Reply to: Swallowing Difficulties posted by Cary S.  on March 17, 1998 at 18:31:36:

: For many years, I have experienced swallowing difficulties.  Fluids are not a problem, only solids.  I have such a difficulty with pills, I will only take liquid medications, unless the pills are small enough.  An aspirin is too large for me to swallow.  I have to chew my food very well, and swallow small amounts to ensure it does not get "stuck".  When is gets "stuck", I have to stand and try to relax in order to allow the food to go down.   Liquids do not help when this happens, it just backs up.  I am very stressed when this occurs.
  Last Fall I had an upper GI performed.  The Dr. was unable to get the scope to go down my esophagus  because he said it was spasming.  He was afraid to force it, for fear of rupturing my esophagus.  I then had a barium xray done, which showed no problems.  The Dr. said he had never seen this happen in the upper esophagus before.  He concluded I have and upper esophageal spasm, not too serious.  He said medication could be taken to relax the esophagus and maybe this could help.  It is usually given for lower esophageal spasm.  He did not know if it would help.  Given my problems swallowing pills, this really was not an option.  He suggested trying to do the procedure where the esophagus is "stretched", and maybe that would inhibit the esophageal muscle from spasming.   He could not guarantee this either.  
  I decided to do nothing, just be careful how I eat, and take only liquid meds, or very small pills.  
  Has anybody else had a problem like this, and what can be done?