Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Swallowing and Back Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Swallowing and Back Pain

I'm a 31 year old male and for the last couple of weeks I notice a slight pain in my upper back when swallowing.  It's kind of in the middle of my back next to my left shoulder blade.  Is it possible to hurt a muscle in an area that can cause that?  It is slightly tender to the touch.  I don't feel like the food gets stuck really, just that I kind of feel it for a second in that area.  What could this be and should I get it checked  out?  I do take 2.5mg of Norvasc for high blood pressure, but I don't think that's it.  Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  

Thanks,
Bob
Dear Bob,
It i sunusual to injure back muscles and then to have pain with swallowing.  The tenderness to touch does suggest a local muscle problem but I can not rtelate this muscle pain to swallowing.  If your symptoms persist and/or you are anxious about the problem, then you should see your physician.
I am finding it difficult to find any answer to my question about the esophagus in this forum.  After having an ERCP for pancreas and sphincter of Oddi problems I started having esophageal problems.  These problems took the form of horrible spasms.  They seemed to be an allergic reaction.  Symptoms would start with congestion in the throat and itching all over. Then the pain would start and come in waves radiating in my chest and around my back.  I would also have difficulty swallowing and atremendous feeling of fullness.
Certain foods seemed to trigger the attacks such as eggs and curry.  Finally after approaching a MD he suggested clariten and sent me on my way.  I am now self treating with benedryl and flexeril but am not always succesful in stopping the attack.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Hi;

Last December of 99 I was dx with ulcers and acid reflux in the eosophogeal along with chron's disease.  Medications didn't work for my acid reflux. My chron's is being treated with assacol 800 mg TID.  I haven't had any bleeding since the end of May 99 from my bowels.

I had eosophogeal ulcers and anti reflux surgery on 9/3/99.  Since I started eating solid foods it gets stuck in my upper back with severe pain.  It seems to take hours for the food to digest.

I get like a shaking or tight feeling pain in the middle of my breast bone that travels to my left arm.  Sometimes I think I'm having a heart attack.  Everytime I go to the emergency room they put me on a heart monitor do EKG's draw blood.  They send me home after I'm told my heart is fine.

Last Jan 27,1999 I had a heart cath.  There was no blockage. My stress test showed some heart changes that why my doctor had the heart cath done.

I was put on a event monitor for my heart and the doctor said there isn't anything wrong with my heart.  

Could someone please help me I'm so worried someone missed something.  Everything got worest since I had the surgery.  

Thanks John
I too I'm having chest pains in the upper left hand corner around my heart area associated with pains in the middle part of my back and under my shoulder blade. When these pains occur I feel I'm having a heart attack, I've never undergone any type of surgery, but I am having alot of trouble with my stomach.  I have recently gone to a gastroenterlogy and with my problems.  My Doctor has scheduled me to go into the hospital for test, hopefully soon they can diagonis my problem.  I am hoping to hear good news soon, and if so I will keep you abreast of what's going on.  Please feel free to let me know if you hear good news for yourself, maybe together we can find some answers to what is causing these problems.
Have any of you been checked for Barrett's esophagus?  I have the same symptoms and having an endoscopy done Tues 1/18/00 to find out if I have that.  An herbal digestive enzyme called Bromelain has helped my symptoms alot.  Just a suggestion.  Karen
A related discussion, backpaın after swallowıng was started.