Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Swelling esophagus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Swelling esophagus

Has anyone ever heard of a condition in which  your esophagus swells and makes it hard to swallow?  I have been experiencing some mild discomfort in my throat (mid-range) sometimes when my esophagus feels like it is swelling or filling up.  When I try to swallow, it is a chore.  Then it goes away.  Any help is appreciated.
Dear Lisa,
Difficulty swallowing may result from a narrowing of the esophgus  or an alteration in motility (dysmotility).  The former causes difficulty swallowing solids whereas the latter affects solid and liquid swallowing.  Globus is a tewrm that refers to a sensation of difficulty swallowing in the absence of an identifiable cause.

seek profesional medical advice.  esophageal dismotility can be a warning sign of several serious medical conditions.
y  i have that too .  it is very scary . i was sleeping and  i felt like i was choking , i did not know what it was.  it is acid reflux. i am on the drug called prilasic once a day it helps alittle bit but i still have problems.
The Dr. told me my stomach wall was red and inflamed. Prior to hethe endoscopy, I was bringing up a lot of blood. She also said the esophagus was very irritated.  Now after medication to coat the wall, I'm still bring up small amout of bloody mucus.
I HAD A NARROW ESOPHAGUS. AFTER TREATING OTHER CONDITIONS DOCTORS EXANDED THE ESOPHAGUS. IMPROVEMENT WAS INCREDIBLE. I TAKE PRILOSEC ONCE A DAY AND SWALLOW WTHOUT PROBLEM. THE TREATMEN WAS NOS AS COMPLICATED AS I FIRST THOUGHT.
After an episode of natural vomiting & 1 episode of induced vomiting due to uneasiness, i started having a feeling of some sort of swelling in my esophagus. I dont know if its exactly esophagus. Its the area in the middle where the clavicle bone joins. I dont have any pain, difficulty swallowing. I am able to eat and drink normally. I dont have any reflux, gerd, heartburn or the vomiting has not recurred either. What could this be? what is the treatment? i thought since i induced vomiting and strained a lot i have a swelling in my esophagus. Pls let me know. It feels like a lump in the lower half of throat. Thanks.