Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Swollen Ankles
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swollen Ankles

Good Evening:
I guess my question could go in several directions.
1)  I have swollen ankles most of the time.  I do notice that
    when I take certain medications, they swell up alot and
    you can leave good size dents in my ankles that stay for
    quite a long time.  I also notice that if I have a glass of
    red wine, they swell.  In the morning, they are greatly
    reduced.
2)  I have cysts on my liver that I was born with, 1 is quite
    large.  I have not gone back in over 5 years for another
    scan.  Could the swollen ankles have anything to do with
    liver disease?
3)  I have GERD and although the burning has pretty much
    stopped, I do notice some swelling below the rib cage.  I
    can not tell if this is located more to the right in the area
    of the liver or just generally located in the middle.  I am
    in no discomfort,I am not short of breath. My doctor had
    done an endoscopy approximately 7 years ago and had taken a
    byopsy around the shynkster (sp??) muscle.  He said I had
    precancerous cells and I do try to be careful what I eat.

4)  Last year I went into the hospital for multiple kidney stones
    One of which was stuck in the Ureuter (sp??) tube.
    Apparently I have many more that pose a threat.

My #1 question is what might be causing the swollen ankles?  Should I start by going back to the Doctor who performed the endoscopy?  I really think I have cancer this time.  I am 46 years old, I recently use the treadmill for 25 minutes a day.  I am 5'5 and weight 200 lbs.
Thank you for helping me.
Blythe