Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Taking tetracyline

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Taking tetracyline

I had been taking tetracyline for about two weeks for a swollen gland.  I started to having trouble swallowing food and felt like I
had heart burn . I took tums and bought pepcid,but still feel this constant feeling of uncomfort in chest.  Went back to doctor.
They did ekg. was ok.  Was taken off tetracyline about two day ago, but still have the same feeling in chest.  Food irritates
it more.  How long am I going to have this feeling or what treatment should I seek?
-8 Comments
Are you sure you are not allergic to this medicine because I am and I had the exact identical reaction as what you are descibing above when I took it.  You might ask your doctor.  Try taking some benydryl as according to the dosagin says to your age and weight on the box etc.  assuming you can take that and aren't allergic to it or it's ingredients and it won't interfrere with any other meds and if it helps with your symptoms within 24 hours then you know.  It can take up to a week or two for a medication to get out of your system.  If that isn't it, I don't know what it would be.  Hope I helped some, but like I said, it is identical to what I had.

Smokeater.
Just a comment about Tetracycline.  It is one of the drugs that is definitely related to pancreatitis along with Azathioprine, Dideoxylinosine, Estrogens, Furosemide, Pentamidine, Sulfonamides, Thiazide diuretitcs and Valproc acid.