Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Transmission of Hepatitis C

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Transmission of Hepatitis C

I am in a new relationship with a man who has Hepatitis C.  I was wondering if I could contract this virus through sexual intercourse and just how safe I am.  My boyfriend contracted the virus through a blood transfusion performed in the 1980's.  I am a single Mom of 2 boys and I am just concerned about the risks involved with this disease.  What are the statistics of contracting this virus through sexual intercourse or oral sex.  Also, does anyone know if there is any medication therapy to help with the regression of this virus that is economical, or a really good web-site that can educate me on all the factors involved with Heptitis C.

I am trying to make a life decision here and would really appreciate any input.  Thank you in advance.
Hay Red:
I have hepatitis C and have been told by my doctors that there is only a 2-3% chance of spreading "C" from your boyfriend to you.BUT,it is a blood disease and can be exchanged if there are any sores(herpes)or you are experienceing that particular time of month,and blood is mixed.We were told to be safe to use condoms,which is a choice my wife had to make,which I was willing to respect,she chose not to,but she understands the slight chance.I am also a liver transplant patient,and there are NO cures for "C" at this time.And most likely won't be for a long time.It is deadly,but if you respect it,there can be a long and happy life.Be safe and cautious,and make up your mind if this is what you want.You and he don't need this to be an issue down the road,when the support of each other may be important.IT is difficult,but we have been married for 4 years,and she new all this when we were married,and are happier than we have ever been in our whole lives.If you type in hepatitis C on your Internet site,you should be able to find a lot of sites,that will educate you,maybe more than you want to be.Good luck and I wish you two the best.
Take Care
PLEASE HELP. I HAVE HAD LOWER RIGHT ABDOMINAL PAIN FOR MONTHS.MY DOCTOR HAS DONE CBC'S, HEP PANEL(ANTI CORE Bc,SURFACE ANTIGEN HEP B) A AND C PANEL. I AM FATIGUED AND MY CT SCAN SHOWS I HAVE 2 CYST'S ON MY LIVER AND KIDNEY. IS THIS NORMAL?? NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW WHATS WRONG. I AHVE HAD A LOWER GI AND THE TESTS WERE NORMAL. DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVISE....IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY...THANKS